Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX vs Carmoney? anyone have one of each?

scottyinAZ

I was wondering if anyone has had work done by both APEX tac. and Mike Carmoney and how the 2 wheelsmiths work compare. i read a lot about Mikes work and he has helped me over email a few times. i have a gun Randy at APEX did for me a few years ago and its been 100% and has the best feeling trigger i have ever pulled on a smith. So now i am torn on some guns that need worked over. I KNOW Randys work, but i know his prices and turn around time. anyone have a gun from both and want to share thoughts and opinions? thanks in advance

Scott

:cheers:

I was wondering if anyone has had work done by both APEX tac. and Mike Carmoney and how the 2 wheelsmiths work compare. i read a lot about Mikes work and he has helped me over email a few times. i have a gun Randy at APEX did for me a few years ago and its been 100% and has the best feeling trigger i have ever pulled on a smith. So now i am torn on some guns that need worked over. I KNOW Randys work, but i know his prices and turn around time. anyone have a gun from both and want to share thoughts and opinions? thanks in advance

Scott

:cheers:

Sounds like your mind is made up ... but a decision is still a bit away !

Carmoney's work is every bit as good as the Randy Lee specimen I've handled. Even if it weren't, the fact that his turnaround time is measured in days rather than months or years is plenty reason for me. I absolutely cannot abide a gunsmith that takes forever for no apparent reason.

Mike's triggers are 1-1.5 lbs heavier than Randy's. Mike also puts a heavier rebound spring in his guns so the trigger returns faster. Both are extremely smooth.

Randy's will cost 2 or 3 hundred more and you'll have to wait awhile to get it back. With Mike you'll only have to wait a week or two.

Sydney's gun (missffl) is a Randy lee with a Randy hammer ihave 6 guns done by mike and they are all much smoother than Randy's. I had a friend of mine blind compare two of mine (1 Randy and a mike gun) and they ended up sending 5 guns to Mike.

Ok now, APEX has different levels of action jobs. Please state what level of Randy's trigger you're comparing to Mike's. In my post above I'm talking about a level 4.

If money isn't an issue then I would choose the APEX trigger. Carmoney's is a better value though.

It's a draw between which is best, in my opinion.

my randy gun is his top of the line work. mater of fact it feels better than the other randy guns i have seen. its just under 5 lbs. very smooth. i am super happy with everything he has done for me, i just dont like to wait. i dont mind paying the money for it, i know its going to be good. paying good money to be dissapointed is another story. i also like the look of Mark at Pinnacle's work, never handled any of his guns. his machine work looks nice

Edited by scottyinAZ

my randy gun is his top of the line work. mater of fact it feels better than the other randy guns i have seen. its just under 5 lbs. very smooth. i am super happy with everything he has done for me, i just dont like to wait. i dont mind paying the money for it, i know its going to be good. paying good money to be dissapointed is another story. i also like the look of Mark at Pinnacle's work, never handled any of his guns. his machine work looks nice

I just had two guns done by Randy and it only took six weeks, which is what Lisa told me it would be. Awhile back he was over a year. Haven't shot one of Mike's, so I can't compare them.

I dont know much about Mike's work.

Randy has built 2 STIs for me and worked over 4 revos plus done countless fixes and freely given me help on the phone.

I will put my Apex guns up against anyone out there. Ill wait for Randy and pay what he asks cause he has NEVER failed to give me what I paid for.

Dave

Hi Dave Hearth, thank you for making such great stuff for us all to abuse. Vic Maehren said Hi. Randy has helped me over the phone and put up with my stupid questions over the last few years. i didnt know he was only 6 weeks behind!!! thats amazing. i left a message with them friday, hope to hear back soon. i have a problem child gun that might require some fabricaton or machine work and i dont know if Mike does that kinda work. i think i am going to do a comparison for myself, i have 2 625's that need done up. will send one to mike and one to randy. my finger can be the judge. i hope randy is not way backed up.

thanks everyone for there input and opinions.

Scott

You already have an Apex, Get Carmonized. That way you can tell us what YOU think. As far as a side by side comparison, I don't know much about wheel guns, but I do know 1911's and I can tell you some are easy to do trigger jobs on and some require extra work. It's hard to compare 2 different guns regardless of the smith when you don't know what all is going on with those guns. Mags are the same way, some mags will do 21 reloadable, some take a whole lot more work to get there. I wish I could pick the easy ones out of a box!

Mike's work is like a Good Truck, it will go fast and is super reliable!

Once done pretty much leave it alone and just shoot.

Randy's work, the super light jobs, are like a fancy foreign sports car, it will go fast but takes a bit getting used to.

Can be finicky as the gun wears and tolerances change.

I could never get used to the sub 5# pull and ended up hmmm, "Modifying" Randys fine work.

You know I didn't think there were that many Revo shooters, but there must be according to Apex's turnaround times.

Both are good guys and are worthy of your business.

I dont know much about Mike's work.

Randy has built 2 STIs for me and worked over 4 revos plus done countless fixes and freely given me help on the phone.

I will put my Apex guns up against anyone out there. Ill wait for Randy and pay what he asks cause he has NEVER failed to give me what I paid for.

Dave

+1

He has selflessly given me his time. And, you only have to go to a major match once and see him work on other's guns just before he is called to the line to shoot to know the kind of guy he is.

Mike's work is like a Good Truck, it will go fast and is super reliable!

Once done pretty much leave it alone and just shoot.

Randy's work, the super light jobs, are like a fancy foreign sports car, it will go fast but takes a bit getting used to.

Can be finicky as the gun wears and tolerances change.

I could never get used to the sub 5# pull and ended up hmmm, "Modifying" Randys fine work.

You know I didn't think there were that many Revo shooters, but there must be according to Apex's turnaround times.

Both are good guys and are worthy of your business.

I would not characterize Randy's work in that way. I have thousands of rounds through my 625 and it has not changed in any way. The differences in action work are more subtle than just the 1.5 # trigger pull difference. The feel and rebound are different, the trigger return feels different and the timing of the cylinder is different as well. I have much less time on my Carmoney gun than I do my Apex guns, but can see why so many people like Mike's work. The only way to decide would be to try both for a while and make your own decision. I don't think that you would be at a disadvantage shooting either one. Call and talk with both guys, send them each a gun if you have a chance to.

Good luck!

I have somewhere between 6 and twelve revos that Mike has done for me and his work is great. I have never had any work done by Randy for several reasons. First, I tried very hard to contact him a few years ago and never got a response. I am a professional myself and would NEVER treat a prospective customer that way.....absolute deal killer. Second, I personally know people who waited years to get their guns back from Randy. You can talk about 6 weeks all you want but I have seen different. Last, I have strong hands and want a strong trigger return.

If this post annoys anyone I'm sorry for that, but I believe in stating facts.

Bob.

A16841.

Randy did a 25-2 for me a couple of years ago. Work was excellent and I prefer the way he bevels the charge holes in cylinder to anyone elses.

I puchased one of Mike's 625's and have no regrets. Had a few light strikes at Memphis and Mike promptly helped me out. Gun has run 100% since.

I doubt you could go wrong either way.

OK guys, I'll wade in here and simply say this:

I consider it a genuine honor that my revolver work is even being compared to Randy Lee's. Randy is a great gunsmith, and a very fine man. If you dig back far enough in the archives, you'll see that I have recommended his work for a number of years. That recommendation continues to this day.