Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 FNH Midwest 3 Gun match dates! (CHANGE)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like that will be a good birthday weekend for me. I looking forward to whipping Thacker on my special day!!!

Four of us from Northern VA will be there!!!!

Jayson

You better bring your A game buddy... I am not even going to practice, just going to roll in and have my 2 women whoop ya!

OK, I might practice sometime next year. Well probably not, either way you still better practice or it will be a long ride home.

Merry Christmas, talk to you soon.

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be there...

Er, Double tap...

I guess to fill up the space I will point out that last year they ran out of fat-guy T-shirts [me] before I got there, so to make up for it [because I whined alot] Ken went above and beyond and sent me FOUR match shirts [2 for me and 2 for the GF that bailed and didn't even show up...].

So, KUDO's to KEN for making an otherwise really insignificant problem much better than right.

Also, I would like to say I am also in favor of more clarity on the prize table. 2 years ago I think I could have had a Sabre Defence upper if I had realized it was in our pile to pick from.... but Congrats to the guy that was 2 places behind me but more observant than I was ...LOL

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Which airport is better to fly into, MCI, or STL?

It is roughly the same distant, so just go for the best deal you can find. I flew out of STL last time and all that went well, plenty or rental car choices, etc...

MCI is very tiny, so all the restaurants are before security. There isn't anything after security except the small sandwich stands that have a monopoly on the food service. Expect to pay quite a bit for anything in there.

My first flight out of there I learned the hard way and spend nearly $10 on a bottle of water and a terrible sandwich.

The next time it was at least an ok sandwich and a beer.

Make sure when you look for a rental car to check out several difference agencies. MCI has a listing of what agencies are there, and the price differences are staggering for equivalent cars.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't get the contact guy from the entry form to call me back. I don't see anything on the form about which days to shoot. Can the match be shot on Sat and Sun? What is the distance of the farthest target, and what size?

I can't get the contact guy from the entry form to call me back. I don't see anything on the form about which days to shoot. Can the match be shot on Sat and Sun? What is the distance of the farthest target, and what size?

It will take you at least 2 days and possibly 3 to shoot the match. Usually the third day is a day to get competitors through the stages that are more time consuming to setup and shoot. They will also probably take care of any re-shoots on the third day, and last year they held a team event.

Plan on being ready to shoot on Fri-Sun.

There are only two bays I can think of where rifle shots will be farther than ~100 yards. Last year the farthest shots were somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 yards and targets were 10 inch plates on that stage, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Vespid_Wasp

A small question about the rules [scoring]

Below is a direct quote from http://www.midwest3gun.com/rules.htm

If I am reading this right a single "d" hit on a target incurs a 10 second penalty, NO hits on the target, a 15 second penalty, and a hit on a no-shoot a 5 second penalty. My question is in reguards to the TNE penalty. If I am correct, holes in the target is the only measure of whether it was engaged i.e.: no holes = not engaged regardless of how many rounds were shot at it. Do non scoring [edge] hits count for the engagement, thus sparing the competitor from a TNE and only scoring a fail to neutralize? Does this also count for steel, since it's either a yes/no proposition, or can a competitor make the claim that "spun steel" has been engaged and thus only subject to a 10 second failure to neutralize?

If we can get some concise clarification/explanation before the match, it might save some headaches later... :sight:

9. Scoring

9.1 Scoring per stage will be straight time plus penalties. Maximum time allowed to shoot any stage is 180 seconds.

9.1.1 Any IPSC cardboard target, designated as a “shoot” target must have either one (1) “A” hit OR one (1) “B” zone hit OR two (2) hits anywhere inside the scoring perforations on the target (i.e. minimum 2 “D” hits) to avoid a penalty.

9.1.2 Example of scoring and penalties on paper targets:

a. One “A” or “B” zone hit = no penalty

b. Two hits in any combination “C or D” = no penalty

c. Target not neutralized but target was engaged = 10 second penalty

d. Target Not Engaged (TNE)= 10 second penalty for not making the minimum two hits anywhere on the target plus 5 seconds, per target, for the TNE PROCEDURAL for a total penalty of 15 seconds per target added to time.

9.1.3 Paper targets used in the match may be IPSC (old style), the new IPSC “Classic”, SOF, IDPA or Zombie Targets

9.1.4 Designated “No Shoot” targets that are hit will incur a 5 second penalty for each hit.

9.1.5 Knock down style targets (i.e. poppers or steel) must fall to score.

9.1.6 Frangible targets must break to score. (One BB hole is a break.)

9.1.7 Swinging style rifle targets must be struck solid enough to cause the hidden “flash card” to be visible to the R.O.

R.O. may call hits.

9.1.8 Failure to engage a frangible, knock down or swinging style target will result in a 15-second penalty. (10 sec. for not making the hit and 5 sec. TNE.)

These are word-for-word the same scoring statements from the rules used by about 75 percent of the 3 Gun matches around the US - only the point values vary.

1. a single "d" hit on a target incurs a 10 second penalty - YES

2. NO hits on the target, a 15 second penalty - NO. If you shot at it & missed it, the penalty is still 10 seconds. A "D hit" does not neutralize the target and "no hits" do not neutralize the target.

3. a hit on a no-shoot a 5 second penalty - YES

4. If I am correct, holes in the target is the only measure of whether it was engaged - NO. Engaged means "to shoot at." Failure to engage means you did not send a round toward that target. You forgot it, you ran out of ammo, or whatever else could cause you to neglect to even attempt to shoot at a target. They do not go by the absence of holes in paper, or steel that failed to react. This is a call by the RO.

5. Do non scoring [edge] hits count for the engagement - YES. See previous response. Rounds that whistle by in the proximity of the target without hitting it also count as engagement.

6. Does this also count for steel - YES. Steel can be engaged & hit (no penalty), engaged and not hit (10 second penalty) or completely overlooked, ignored or forgotten (15 second penalty for the failure to engage [5] and the target was never hit [10]).

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

Edited by LChico

Looks like that will be a good birthday weekend for me. I looking forward to whipping Thacker on my special day!!!

Jayson

You better bring your A game buddy... I am not even going to practice, just going to roll in and have my 2 women whoop ya!

OK, I might practice sometime next year. Well probably not, either way you still better practice or it will be a long ride home.

Tommy

Tommy....no need to worry about Jayson, when we spank him in MO.....the very next month I am going to hand him his butt on his own turf of the Commonwealth. I have seen him shoot, for a computer nerd he is OK but I ain't scared! Will be fun to see most of the Virginia crew together again! Now figuring which airport will be better to fly in! Tell Duck to bringing his huggie pillow, you both will need it!

Larry

Edited by sbmd

• 3 weeks later...

Jayson

Tommy

Tommy....no need to worry about Jayson, when we spank him in MO.....the very next month I am going to hand him his butt on his own turf of the Commonwealth. I have seen him shoot, for a computer nerd he is OK but I ain't scared! Will be fun to see most of the Virginia crew together again! Now figuring which airport will be better to fly in! Tell Duck to bringing his huggie pillow, you both will need it!

Larry

Larry and Tommy,

You both can quit worrying about Duck and I coming to your match and spanking you both. It is official we have a leave restriction in place and will not be able to

come to the match. However, Larry I look forward to crushing at the Fairfax NRA LEO 3G!!!

Get Em Good

Jayson

For this match, would FN's tactical police pump action shotgun be considered an "open" class shotgun since it has integrated barrel ports?

I'm pretty sure that any porting puts it in open.