Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Test

TGO

Flexmoney:

I have the "How to Shoot Fast and Accurately" tape where Brian really smokes. For that matter so did the old timer (sorry Ken). I could digitize a clip and convert it to streaming video and put a link here but it might be a copyright violation. I'll get back to you.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron,

Personally, I'd go for the copyright violation. :)

Flex,

85 runs is not exactly right because, after the first 48, the remaining plates were all shot at the 25 yard line.

;)

• 1 year later...
Flex,

Yea, but that was back when I could shoot. And, just to make it easy, I was using a big fat revolver with an optical sight. (Although the tube was so small it felt like you were looking through a soda straw.) Anybody could shoot hundreds with that setup.

be

Anybody?!! You haven't seen me miss plate after plate yet! :D

I was wondering about this..

My best match score for the plates is 430, and that is with a stock gun. That was the match that moved me up to Sharpshooter, right before the Regional match.

• 1 month later...

Shooting plates is one of my favorite drills to do. I will try to do them as much as I can, It really makes me focus on all the right things, especially at the 20 and 25 yard line. At our club we are pretty lucky, we have 6 plate racks now. Just got two new ones last week.

Steve

• 2 months later...

This was kind of a mental test for me.

10y: Don't rush the draw! Piece of cake after that.

15y: Don't rush the draw! Trigger control starts to become an issue.

20y: Now things are getting interesting. Went into Comstock mode and burned a transition in the first string, but calmed down. Left the last plate up in the second string, shooting over the top of it. Big sigh, big cuss word.

25y: Left two plates up in the first string. Missed the draw plate in the second string.

44 for 48. I didn't hold low from 20y and 25y, and my shots went high. (My Limited gun shoots real high so I can see the targets over the front sight at long range. I stupidly kept using the 10y sight hold for the rest of the test.) I used up all the time on all the strings, which is encouraging because I've never shot this before.

I used to pratice variations on this (the original drill) when I trained in Indiana (shoot 'em in the middle!)

Instead of shooting the regular order all the time, I used to break it up, so some strings I would shoot L-R, some R-L and some I would shoot in alternate orders (2,4,6,5,3,1 (but don't ever do that at at match, they'll DQ you!!)).

Sometimes, to really mess about with things and work on my left hand trigger control (my weak hand) I would draw, transfer to weak hand and shoot the string, all standing.

All of this drilled into me the importance of concentrating on the single plate that I was engaging at the time, rather than viewing it as a string of 6 continuous shots.

Didn't help in the match, when I bombed completely!! :P

funny I went back and re-read TGO's initial post to see if my thinking was off. Nope it still sounds the same. The same as what you ask? Who here has heard of Gunkid? well TGO's post sounds very similar to GK. Maybe TGO has multiple personalities and shows up on other boards as Gunkid?

(please note dripping sarcasm)

• 4 weeks later...
Only one shot per plate is allowed by TGO (and Bianchi/NRA?).

Right.

However, just for fun and a slight diversion, pick a yard line and shoot a bunch of strings scored time only. Like say at the 15 yard line - what do you have to do to consistently shoot the fastest time.

?

be

I know that you know that.

Still, I posted it like that to get folks to actually experiment with it. Because when you see and experience something first hand, the effect is quite different from just thinking about it.

be

Because it is easier to think than it is to live...

Shunryu Suziki

funny I went back and re-read TGO's initial post to see if my thinking was off. Nope it still sounds the same. The same as what you ask? Who here has heard of Gunkid? well TGO's post sounds very similar to GK. Maybe TGO has multiple personalities and shows up on other boards as Gunkid?

(please note dripping sarcasm)

:o

Here's how not to do it.....

Borrowing from my experience on the last classifier stage I shot.

Are you ready?

Stand by....

Beep

Bang,,,,,mag drops

reload

Bang,,,,,mag drops (obsenities)

reload (obsenities while reloading)

Bang,,,,mag drops (obsenities,,,,,LOUD)

reload

Bang,,,,,guess what,,,,mag drops (torrent of obsenities,,,,few new ones created)

reload

Bang,,,,,(is a DQ really such a bad thing????)

reload (back to obsenities)

Bang,,,,,(Yup, I'm dumb enoug to geet going)

fooled you,,,,no reload on the next step,,,,pick up a mag off the ground

Obsenities

reload

Bang (obsenities,,,,I missed,,,,yup still thinking enough to call the shots but I'm obsenity screwed because it is VA count,,,,oh yeah,,,,mag drops) :wacko:

Oh what fun,,,,,I don't know which was funnier, a single shot, mag droppin, shooter cursing classifer for as damn near a zero score as one could get, or the fact that it was the first stage of the day and my only shoot at earning my A card in L10 this year. :(

• 4 weeks later...