Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading more accurate?

sdm74

I doubt that you will see much difference acurracy wise in a pistol like you can in a rifle.

However you can tailor the load to you gun, get as close to the minimum power factor for your division as possible to reduce recoil which should improve your split times.

I don't know where you are getting your ammo or prices for reloading components but I see a very large savings in reloading.

FWIW

Depending on how much you shoot you can break even fairly rapidly and as Mildot1 said, you can tailor your load to what you are going to do.

The flip side is that once you start reloading, because you have a much more readily accessible supply of ammo... you shoot more :D

i shoot a xdm 9mm..and for price i cant see the benefit of reloading..but was curious if hand loaded ammo is more accurate then a factory load?

Probably not more accurate in most cases, but it works out that way in some situations....sorta depends on the gun and the ammo.

For price I can't imagine how you wouldn't see a difference. My .38 Supercomp load costs me $265/1000 give or take a couple of dollars, and that includes all the hazmat and delivery charges. I'm using what I think is the most expensive pistol powder, excellent jacketed bullets, new Starline brass and Federal primers. Buying .38SC factory from AA&A is $295/1000 before shipping.

I can get ten+ uses out of each case, so the second thousand only costs me $140/1000. That's a pretty big savings.

Edited by G-ManBart

i shoot a xdm 9mm..and for price i cant see the benefit of reloading..but was curious if hand loaded ammo is more accurate then a factory load?

Probably not more accurate in most cases, but it works out that way in some situations....sorta depends on the gun and the ammo.

For price I can't imagine how you wouldn't see a difference. My .38 Supercomp load costs me $265/1000 give or take a couple of dollars, and that includes all the hazmat and delivery charges. I'm using what I think is the most expensive pistol powder, excellent jacketed bullets, new Starline brass and Federal primers. Buying .38SC factory from AA&A is $295/1000 before shipping.

I can get ten+ uses out of each case, so the second thousand only costs me $140/1000. That's a pretty big savings.

wall-mart 21 bucks a box of 100 Winchester so that's like 21cents a round cant reload cheaper then that but for maybe a nickle.... that's before the 6 to 7 hundred for the press and equipment

wall-mart 21 bucks a box of 100 Winchester so that's like 21cents a round cant reload cheaper then that but for maybe a nickle.... that's before the 6 to 7 hundred for the press and equipment

A nickel per round is 25% lower! A thousand nickels is $50. Even if you spent $600 for a press (which is high) you'd pay for the press in 12K. In reality, you could spend half that on a press (or less) and pay for it in 6,000 rounds.

I could load generic 9mm for $110 per thousand if I'm reusing my brass and $160 per thousand if I use once-fired that I pay for. You're at $210, so the math works out in favor of reloading pretty quickly.

Oh, and you're also not subjected to the lack of supply that most folks have dealt with in the last year or so. While my non-reloading friends bitched about only having a hundred rounds for their gun I had literally thousands of rounds loaded up and could shoot all I wanted :)

These guys all reload(handload). I don't. I wish I could. Reloading(handloading) is superior for the above reasons, but especially if you are shooting a whole lot. I just calculated for 24K 9mm, 12 K 38 Supercomp, which would be almost enough for most of the next twelve months, and the break even was 5K of each, using the Dillon 550 as a basis. I just can not find the time due to an erratic schedule. So, I eat a lot of spaghetti, and lump it on the shipping charges for ammo. Prices are coming down a little, especially if you buy bulk ammo-like 5K at a time. I went through about 6K rounds in June, July, August, it was a PITA buying ammo. I had to borrow some from the unlimited source, my training partner and I were even shooting reject tracers-that was fun-every 8th round or so was flaming. It seems to be easing up a little. We'll see. If you have the time-reload(handload).

Edited by Jadeslade

..but was curious if hand loaded ammo is more accurate then a factory load?

Yes.

+1. Flex has it right and in some cases, by a long shot. I saw come .40 caliber ransom rest comparisons a couple of months ago between popular gaming handloads and WWB factory and the results were stunning. The difference was so great the person running the test went back and re-ran the WWB for another go-round...same conclusion. There are some very accurate factory loads but I would'nt call it "the rule" by any stretch.

We're all comparing our quality component handloads with the worst Wal-mart has to offer! Compared with buck a pop premium ammo, my reloads aren't any more accurate. Compared to white box, or worse, I'm only saving about 25%.

Ok, I'm not saving squat, just shooting more!

Of course, I have to try things that don't work in order to stumble into those that do.

I shoot a XDm 9 and was shooting AE 124gr which IMO is a great factory round. I was paying 279+ for 1000. Now that I reload I'm saving money. I saved all my brass from the factory loads that I shot up. I only have to pay for bullets, powder, and primers.

1000 MG 124gr-- $81 w/tax

1lb of WSF powder-- $21 w/tax

1000 WSP primers--- $38 w/tax

Total--$140

How much I saved $139+ and I can buy another thousand with what I saved from reloading. So I can get 2000rds for the price I was paying for factory by reloading.

If you can buy WW 9mm today for $21/100 you're right - there is very little reason

to reload.

I have a Dillon SD reloader for 15 years, but when I got back into shooting three years

ago, and was shooting only a standard 9mm, which I could buy for either $12 or $16/100

(Remington green box) I not only didn't reload, but I left the brass on the ground :((

Now that I'm into open shooting, I dusted off the Dillon SD and am reloading for major

(not much of a choice) for about $14/100 (depending on how you estimate the cost of

reusing used brass).

If you're shooting standard 9mm in a factory gun (not accurized), the only advantage to

reloading is the small price difference which can add up if you do a lot of shooting, and

I'm not sure you can still buy factory ammo anywhere for $21/100. And, as you said,

it costs about $400 to get into reloading, and then it depends on how valuable your time

time is - if you're really busy, I made the decision NOT to reload for two years. It's

close. If you get into 9mm major or .40 or .45, it's a lot easier decision, since the costs

are so much cheaper to reload.

I got my sdb used for $300.

I got my SDB for $300 WITH calipers, scale, bullet puller, etc....

I shoot about 10,000 per year.

Crappy WWB: $25/100 (if you an find them)

My reloads: $14/100 (as/more accurate than WWB with MIXED brass in MY GUN)

$11/100 savings.... X 10,000 rounds = $1100 per year savings. The press pays for itself in 4 months.

That's a new AR with optics worth of savings!

Cost Breakout:

Moly 147 bullets: $65/1000 (Bear Creek)

Primers: $30/1000 (Multiple brands)

Powder: $20/1000 (Solo 1000, 8lbs)

Brass: $25/1000 (local range brass)

Total: $140/1000

You can go much cheaper shooting 124gr bullets.

JeffWard

I got my SDB for $300 WITH calipers, scale, bullet puller, etc....

I shoot about 10,000 per year.

Crappy WWB: $25/100 (if you an find them)

My reloads: $14/100 (as/more accurate than WWB with MIXED brass in MY GUN)

$11/100 savings.... X 10,000 rounds = $1100 per year savings. The press pays for itself in 4 months.

That's a new AR with optics worth of savings!

Cost Breakout:

Moly 147 bullets: $65/1000 (Bear Creek)

Primers: $30/1000 (Multiple brands)

Powder: $20/1000 (Solo 1000, 8lbs)

Brass: $25/1000 (local range brass)

Total: $140/1000

You can go much cheaper shooting 124gr bullets.

JeffWard

Something caught my attention in your math. You show the cost of the powder being $20 for the 8lbs of Solo 1000. There are 7000 grains in a pound, so if you used (for example) 3.5 grain charge when loading it would allow you to load 1000 rounds of ammunition with 1/2 pound of powder. That means that you could load 16,000 rounds of ammunition with that 8lbs of Solo 1000. That drops your calculation from $140/1000 to $121.25/1000. Appooximately $12.13/100 rounds of ammunition. That would be $1287 saved per year (based on 10,000 rounds), which is half the cost of WWB at $25/100.

Based off of a 3.5 grain charge and reloading the 1000 rounds of brass 16 times, then you would only be buying the bullets and primers after your initial costs. That would come out to $1565/16,000 rounds of ammunition.

Over the summer I bought a 550B, my first serious purchase regarding reloading. I've kept very careful track of everything I've purchase for reloading since then. I'm projected to break even after 7000rds of 9mm minor (includes press and all components). Course that'll be a couple years away based on the rate I shoot right now. I'm hope to pick up the pace at which I burn ammo this next year.

8lbs of Solo 1000 does indeed last close to 16000 rounds based on my calculation.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap...R0UWc&hl=en

as for reloading, Dillon once said, if you reload 1000 rds of .45 auto twice, youve paid forthe price ofthe press, not to mention all the other calibers we loadfor, back in the day, I was shooting 30k per yr, buy factory??? are you kidding me???? even at late 80's/early 90's prices (9mm blazer 2.50 per 50) I was reloading, why??? because I primarily shot open, and places like atlanta arms wasnt around, and this may seem strange to most, reloading for me, isnt work or a chore, i enjoy it, its relaxation(cept for the time I burned the 1000 rds I took for a 2 day class with our El Prez MV, and burned it all the first day and had to reload it all back for day 2)

are the handloads more accurate??? forthe most part, yes, for our applications(USPSA) in pistol, somtimes its a wash, or notthat noticable, now you get into the complexities of rifle???? ooooh yeah its noticable

Regarding accuracy, I'd wager that most shooters are not as accurate as their gun and ammo are capable of now, so I doubt that handloading will improve anyone that much.

However, if you are shooting factory 9mm in competition, then you are at a disadvantage two ways. First, you are probably shooting ammo with a PF way over what is required. Second, you are missing out on the ability of tuning your gun and your loads to the optimum - and that is where handloads can really pay off.

I also struggled with the low cost of 9mm vs the high initial cost of reloading. Trust what everyone has said. If you plan to shoot over 10,000 rounds you will get your money back. I spent $600 for my set up; press, dies, scale, tumbler, etc. All costs adjusted to 50 round box, but you are usually buying in quantities to load 5000-10000 rounds. I can't shoot factory loaded 9mm for $7.38, but I can if I reload.

Power Pistol $0.80/50 w/shipping, haz mat & MO tax

Federal primers $1.72/50 w/shipping, haz mat & MO tax

Zero 125gr JHP $4.15/50 or Montana Gold JHP $4.07 or Precision Delta FMJ $3.60

Starline brass $7.02/50 w/shipping & MO tax

If I add in the cost of new brass then I'm at $13.69/50 when I need to shoot new brass. I can shoot reloaded brass 90% of the time. Real cost of brass $0.71 or less per 50.

Skip the new brass, shoot factory loads, use that brass, save even more.

Edited by GForceLizard

Also keep in mind that you may not just shoot 9mm forever. You start messing around with rifles or 40cal or 45 and the price difference is a lot more dramatic. The sooner you start reloading the sooner you start saving.

I used to buy WWB 9mm for 12.00/100 and I didn't care either. If I'd have bought a press then not only would I have broken even earlier, I'd have paid less for everything, because the press and component prices go up every year.

I've never bought new brass. I buy once fired brass. You can easily buy 3500 pieces of 9mm brass for $100.

Edited by bofe954

However, if you are shooting factory 9mm in competition, then you are at a disadvantage two ways. First, you are probably shooting ammo with a PF way over what is required.

Most likely true for .40 and .45, but when I shoot Remington 115 grain

fmj green box ammo, it was exactly 115 gr x 1100 fps - just slightly

over 125 pf, and very consistent. I still use it for limited...

I'm almost embarrased. How about a used SDB with 2-caliber conversions, RCBS Jr. press, Lee Production Pot, Lyman Lube/Sizer, 6-bullet molds plus, assorted manuals and other goodies for...$50.00 total.

However, if you are shooting factory 9mm in competition, then you are at a disadvantage two ways. First, you are probably shooting ammo with a PF way over what is required.

Most likely true for .40 and .45, but when I shoot Remington 115 grain

fmj green box ammo, it was exactly 115 gr x 1100 fps - just slightly

over 125 pf, and very consistent. I still use it for limited...

Yeah, but try that at big matches and you'll absolutely, positively get burned at the chrono sooner or later (often sooner). Sub-minor you aren't even scored, but they'll let you shoot. R,