Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is there a B zone on a metric target?

bkeeler

Just curious, why is there a B zone on a metric target if it scores the same as the C zone?

BK

It used to be that a B was a tie-breaker, but not any more.

It's not? How do they break a tie now?

Anybody find it amusing that the adjective "Classic", a term my old fashioned mind associates with the old and original, is associated with the latest version of the target, and the "Metric" targetl which is spec'd in cms, is used (exclusively?) in the good old US of A, where we dearly love our inches? :P:lol:

(No political rants, please :D )

Another interesting fact about the metric target is that the overall outside width is 45 cm and the width of the area within the 0.5 cm scoring border is 45 cm. :surprise: There seems to be some sort of alternate universe thing going on there. If you don't believe me, look at the drawing in Appendix B3 of the rulebook.

post-400-1256086675_thumb.jpg

Later,

Chuck

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upper A zone being synonymous with "ocular window". Considering the martial roots of the sport could it be that the founders simply called it the B zone to accentuate the added value of an OW hit?

It's true the B zone used to be used as a tie breaker, but does that really explain why it exists in the first place?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upper A zone being synonymous with "ocular window". Considering the martial roots of the sport could it be that the founders simply called it the B zone to accentuate the added value of an OW hit?

It's true the B zone used to be used as a tie breaker, but does that really explain why it exists in the first place?

HeHe

He said ocular window.

:roflol:

Rest of post edited for "combat language"

Another interesting fact about the metric target is that the overall outside width is 45 cm and the width of the area within the 0.5 cm scoring border is 45 cm. :surprise: There seems to be some sort of alternate universe thing going on there. If you don't believe me, look at the drawing in Appendix B3 of the rulebook.

post-400-1256086675_thumb.jpg

Later,

Chuck

I had to find my book to beleive this. Too funny.

So calling two "OW's" equals 10 points??............I can't wait. :devil:

Anybody find it amusing that the adjective "Classic", a term my old fashioned mind associates with the old and original, is associated with the latest version of the target, and the "Metric" targetl which is spec'd in cms, is used (exclusively?) in the good old US of A, where we dearly love our inches? :P:lol:

(No political rants, please :D )

The metric thing always throws me. I keep wanting to refer to the Turtle / Amoeba targets as the Metrics. :rolleyes:

+1 & +2

You'll love this then...

When I sent the stages into IPSC for the USA IPSC Nationals...I found out that IPSC doesn't use either target (name). There is no "Classic" nor "Metric" target in IPSC. :unsure:

The metric thing always throws me. I keep wanting to refer to the Turtle / Amoeba targets as the Metrics. :rolleyes:

Tell me about it, the "Classic" target is used in countries on the metric system but the "Metric" target is used in the US which isn't on the metric system. :wacko: Esplain dat one to me Lucy.

Joe W.

You'll love this then...

When I sent the stages into IPSC for the USA IPSC Nationals...I found out that IPSC doesn't use either target (name). There is no "Classic" nor "Metric" target in IPSC. :unsure:

Hi, that is correct, in IPSC there is only one target today.

The old "Classic" target has become the "IPSC" target, the only recognized paper target, and from 1st of January 2010 there will be a smaller version (2/3 size) also approved, but not mixed together with the fullsize target on a stage, due to political considerations ........ :surprise:

To me the name "Metric" target never made any sense or connection with reality even if the target itself has that....

Edited by RogerT

Tell me about it, the "Classic" target is used in countries on the metric system but the "Metric" target is used in the US which isn't on the metric system. :wacko: Esplain dat one to me Lucy.

Joe W.

Sort of like how you drive on a parkway, but park on a driveway.....

The B-Zone is there for the same reasons the C/D zones are. The thought process was a peripheral hit on the target would not be as devastating as a center of mass hit.

As far as the naming of the Metric target, if you research the first draft of the IPSC rules that were posted here, the target was referred as the metric target since the beginning of the IPSC rules. Prior to that there were a number of variations of targets used.