Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Significance of a DQ

bbbean

There may have been one or two incidents where the violation was such a blatent display of bad judgment the matter went to HQ and the shooter was banned. But in general learn a lesson and come play again soon. You may not get your classifier posted for that match if there was one.

I think it is more of a mental issue to the recipient than it is to anybody else. I saw a shooter this past weekend apologizing to the RO who DQ'd him at a match about a month ago. I was there at the DQ and I honestly had forgotten all about it until he brought it up. Things happen and we move on to shootin'.

I think there are different degrees of DQ though. Look at the DQ's at the nationals. Seasoned shooters will make minor or even perceived mistakes that can get a DQ. But sometimes a shooter will do something really unsafe like point a gun at the squad and get a DQ. Maybe they could be called Major and Minor DQ.

Depends on the infraction, a unsafe muzzle DQ, and you will get a talking too by our club officers, do it again, and you won't get to shoot with us anymore. Ad's and finger DQ's get a pat on the back and invite to shoot again another day. Ro's make the call, the club should follow up for safety issues. Safety first and always.

In Canada, you take a course called the Black Badge to participate in IPSC. Besides learning the history of the sport and the rule book, you need to go through 12 seperate drills in the time allowed and with C's or better, or no misses and 50% A's.

If you DQ twice in a season or more, you may be required to repeat the course.

I can't speak to what happens on the local level, because different clubs have different policies and procedures, but on the National level, there really are no repercussions to the occasional DQ. The rules do allow an MD to ban someone from participation in a match, and this could happen due to safety problems, but you'd have to be demonstrably, chronically, unsafe. A DQ at Nationals or elsewhere doesn't follow you around--HQ doesn't keep track of that kind of stuff. Bad behavior is most likely to get you removed from USPSA, but that doesn't happen that often. You really have to do some bad stuff, though, like throw a loaded gun downrange or something.

I wouldn't worry about a single DQ at a major match. It doesn't go on your permanent record.

Troy

I think is shows deficits in training. We do it how we train it... if you are having issues then you need to look at how you train.

Not especially. A8 several years ago, well known GM DQ'd for a 180 on a reload. Sometimes all it takes is that little half and inch of a foot move or a twist of the hips.

They happen, we move on.

I've had my 1 and only DQ when my gun decided to take flying lessons on a mag change. Fortunately it hit the ground(actually sand) pointed down range. I certainly got everyones attention especially mine. Upon arriving home I severely beat the offending arthritic hand w/a rubber mallet--And changed the way I go about releasing the mag. I never turn the gun in my hand anymore, the mag rel is pushed by the side of my weak hand thumb. Problem solved, and w/my limited movement thumbs quicker.

Hopefully we learn from the DQ, not go stomping off the range in a huff. When I was DQed I stayed and helped out.

Edited by the duck of death

I think is shows deficits in training. We do it how we train it... if you are having issues then you need to look at how you train.

Not especially. A8 several years ago, well known GM DQ'd for a 180 on a reload. Sometimes all it takes is that little half and inch of a foot move or a twist of the hips.

They happen, we move on.

It does and we do Vince.

A lot of times it can be a trip or catching a gun on a prop, there are a whole bunch of issues that may prompt an unsafe action. Don't doubt that training can help these issues. Finger on the trigger during remedial, or movement.. that is a failure in training plain and simple. You have not trained it out. ;)

Edited by JThompson

Most of the time, the person issuing the DQ will feel almost as bad about it as the competitor. As long as people aren't scared to shoot with you, and you are a good sport when you get a DQ, it's not a problem.

I have to agree here, it hurts having to tell someone their day is done. As long as they understand what happened, why it happened and how to make sure it doesn't happen again life is good. If you have to DQ someone please be nice about it. Make them feel welcome to come back next time, sometimes it takes a bit to get them to see that it is ok. There are two kinds of people in our sport, those who have DQed and those who will DQ. :cheers:

Joe W.