Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just wondering why the majority of the people on the forum shoot . What does it give you or how does it make you feel that keeps you coming back. There are lots of other "things" that forum members do, car racing, dirt bike, motor touring, some are very well read, some have very nimble minds for limericks, trivia, etc. What is it about competitive shooting that really gets you going?

For me it is the personal competition, to test me personally against others who think they can also win. It is not repetitive, it involves a good deal of mental preparation, and it gets the juices flowing. When I need to get away from the competition and the one on one, I go fly fishing. Solitude, quiet, no competition, no winners/loosers, just me and the fly rod and the fish...

Just wondering why the majority of the people on the forum shoot .

Maybe because this is a forum for competition shooters? :P

Now, seriously, I shoot because I like handguns and I'm a very competitive spirit.

Firearms are among the best concentrated mix of technology, craftsmanship and design. :wub:

Competition, at every level, is a means of comparing oneself with others.

When I need to get away from the competition and the one on one, I go fly fishing. Solitude, quiet, no competition, no winners/loosers, just me and the fly rod and the fish...

Isn't this a competition? You and the fish: the smarter will either get his dinner or its life saved.

OK, hope you will pardon my thread drift.

I used to go fishing when I was a student: mainly trout fishing in small mountain rivers; long walks up to the rivers springs, lots of phisical exertion and a great "tired but happy" feeling at the end.

I used to consider this a form of competition too: who was smarter? Me, to catch the fish, or the fish, able to steal my bait and fade away with it?

Isn't hunting a competition too, between man and animal?

Skywalker,

Isn't hunting a competition too, between man and animal?

As much as the World Shoot is a competiton between Eric Grauffel with a racegun and me with a pocket knife. If you use your bare hands against an animal, that's a competition.

Sorry for the thread drift: I love guns and I love shooting, but I despise hunting for "trophies".

As much as the World Shoot is a competiton between Eric Grauffel with a racegun and me with a pocket knife.

Vince,

in this competition I'd beat Eric by the largest possible margin every time!

As soon as I hear the start signal I'll clap my hands, have the timer record a 1sec. time, then calmly proceed to stab each target twice... ;)

BTW, I am not a hunter, and I am guilty of thread drifting again.

I love the competition. Not against the other shooters but against myself. It makes me see my faults and learn to correct them. And expand on my strengths. And besides. Since my wife gained weight and my back went bad. It is the most fun I can have standing up. Hey someone had the first to say it. m.e.t.

This is kind of an interesting thread, even if it's drifting.

I've long thought that one of the problems in marketing the shooting sports was that the focus has been on the *wrong* people. We tend to see our potential market as "people who shoot a lot and/or hunters." I think the key word, however, is *competition.* There are people who compete and people who don't, and never the twain shall meet (well, maybe not *never,* but it's a bigger gap than one might think). I never "got" hunting, because my interest was always the shooting. These days, I've drifted into non-political vegetarianism, mostly because I found it to be a better diet for both performance and weight (spoken as the guy MEN'S HEALTH magazine once listed as "the second most fit fat guy in America.")

I've raced bicycles, motorcycles, windsurfers, snowboards, on sneakers, whatever; climbed rock, ice and big mountains; cave- and deep-dived, run famous rock-and-roll rivers all over the world, lots of stupid stuff. I *love* the internal dynamics of competition and risk , especially at ultra distances or at the edges of the known universe. I've always come back to shooting because, to me, it remains an amazing challenge--mental *and* physical, an almost unique combination of planning, mental abilities and both gross and precise muscular movements (the sports I feel are closest to shooting in their requirements on the athlete are rock and ice climbing, BTW). That's coupled with the undeniable fact that guns are * lethally dangerous* if misused, which adds a critical additional mental element, that of risk (taken in the broader meaning of the word).

I think great shooting requires the athlete to be 100% "in the moment," beyong the "what-ifs" and "coulda-shoulda-wouldas." Call it "flow," call it whatever, but it's a fascinating place. That place is, I believe, something to be sought after, because it echoes throughout your entire life. Think of all the times you've read or heard how important it is to be in the moment. Shooting is a tool that teaches you how to do just that. There have been times in my writing, or even in my relationship, where I've been in "normal" mode, my mind scattered there and there and all over, when a little voice in my head has said, "This activity, this *person,* deserves 100% of my focus, and I *know* what 100% feels like."

Of course, BS is my life, so take it for what it's worth,

Michael B

If you talk to most "hunters", they really don't enjoy the hunt, they lust for the shot. I started hunting long before competitive shooting. The owner of the local gun shop made me realize that I had the same lust. I will pass on a hunting trip to shoot a match, any match, any day.

I also do the fishing thing when I want to be alone. Catch and release because I don't like cleaning fish but do like eating them. Don't like cleaning wild game either.

scooterj:

I am a fourth generation Wyominigite. My relatives were here before the freaking Oregon trail. I was brought up in a tradition of hunting and fishing. People who "lust for the shot" just don't get it and they never will. That's a shame too because the shot lusters aren't really hunters, they are just egotistical consumers. To be honest, the competitive nature of hunting, biggest rifle, longest shot, earliest kill, most geese in the month, and so on have ruined the sport for me. I started hunting rabbits when I was just a kid and I have gone the whole route from needing the food (subsistance hunter) to game hog and consumer, to "trophy" only hunter. This fall I didn't even buy a deer license and elk season came and went while I was shooting Production classifiers at various matches. I know a lot of guys love to hunt and I support their right to do so as sportsmen and gentlemen. The slob hunters, OTOH can line up and kiss my behind.

As for fishermen, what a twisted bunch of sadistic humans. Stick a hook in a critter's mouth and winch them through the water. Then kill the animal by beating it to death or let it flop around and suffocate. Even catch and release has a mortality rate, usually a slow and lingering death. Yeah, I am an avid fisherman. My point is, the animal loves who despise hunters but think fishing is OK really need to think again. What's the difference? Right off hand I would say people can see Bambi, but Charlie the tuna is hidded from view.

(not necessarily in this order, but just a few off the top of my head...)

--SELF-IMPROVEMENT (plain flat healthy skill-building exercise)

--THE DISCIPLINE OF ACCURACY (the Meditation part)

--COMPETITION (achievement, proving oneself, herd ranking)(Alpha female? I'm workin' on it!!)

--SOCIAL BENEFITS (great fun, great people)

--DISABILITY-FRIENDLY (I'm no longer able to do gymnastics...) :P

--APPRECIATION OF THE TECHNOLOGY (precision machinery is always a big thrill)

--EMPOWERMENT (the female defense issue, self-reliance)

--CULTURAL TRADITION (similar to Empowerment but more to do with 2nd Amendment)

First scooterj, I second Ron's take on hunting game vs. game shooting. When I go hunting, I don't have to fire a shot or bring back an animal. Why? I was hunting. It's me against the animal I'm stalking. We have a rule in our family. If you've spotted an animal, say a deer, and are working towards him and he sees you. You cannot take him down. You've lost because he saw or heard you. It's hunting not shooting.

With that, I just have a competitive personality. I'll shed blood over skipping rocks if the stakes are right. Competitive shooting, especially IPSC/USPSA, satiate not only the competitive juices, but too, the analytical and technical thirst in my pea brain.

Hope that helps with the survey.

Rich

I shoot because I can't hunt year round. <_< As I grow older the hunt is less and the food for my family is more. Meat with no drugs to worry about (don't ever look at all the little bottles in a ranchers fridge). Also that hamburger you are eating didn't die of old age. I have loved guns and shooting since I was a little kid, and I grew up in a family that did not really shoot a lot. I am not sure why I love it and I don't care. Nate

I shoot because I'm fairly good at it. And I enjoy it. I am a competitor but not much competition for other shooters. I like the people I meet at the range and at the shooting functions. I like to hunt but it is not the shot but getting the shot wich is the challenge. Once you pull the trigger the fun is over until you get to lie to your buddies about the shot. Just my take on it.

Ron & bigdawg, I think what really ruined my hunting enjoyment was chasing someone else's pack of 12 rabbit chasing beagles through the south LA swamp in 80 to 90 degree weather, fighting off mosquitoes, and avioding snakes and alligators in the middle of December. And the best part was if I miss the rabbit, I would be chastized like a 5 year old. I would rather sit on the side of the road and listen to the dogs work. Hunting, in my oppinion , should be an enjoyable sport not slave labor.

I shoot because it incorporates everything important into one activity.

In no particular order:

Mental skills

Visual skills

Physical skills

A chance to experience " now " for what it is and not cloud the issue with thought.

An opportunity to build machines which are the extension of my desire . ( gunsmithing )

An opportunity to experiment with physics in a very satisfying way. ( reloading )

I have little interest in hunting, but don't have anything against those who do.

Not really big into competition either. I enjoy it when I can, but when you have not had a weekend off , but maybe 5 times in close to 10 years it's a little tough to make many matches.

Travis F.

It's an adrenaline rush thing. And the competition thing, against my self as much as others. OK, mostly against the others. It's challenging. I'm with like minded people. Anybody I hang with anymore is someone I met shooting. Maybe that's a little narrow-minded, but I'm the type with few but close or trusted friends.

It's fun. :)

I was a racer ,Nascar Charger series and Nascar Winston Racing series.Both of these are local Sat. night racing NOT WINSTON CUP !! In 1995 I won a championship then quit, even at the local level this is BIG money! the best way to make a small fortune in racing is start with a big one!!!!! even if you win alot.

Now I am board stiff driving the wife nuts and where is the adrenaline rush??

Then in 2000 I found an USPSA club to shoot with I have plenty to do now, wife is happy (well mostly happy) and the rush is back!!! :lol: Life is good !! ;)

I shoot in matches because they provide an easy way to practice shooting and gun handling skills that I may need some day, but I'd be unlikely to practice if left to my own devices. It's kind of like being involved in an organized tutorial/study program vs. trying to learn stuff by myself from books.

I also shoot matches because they are more fun than just about anything else I can do.

I have learned that I also really enjoy the social aspects of shooting matches, especially USPSA. With few exceptions, it's likely that most people I meet will share similar socio-political views, so we tend to get along. Most of my current group of friends are people I met while shooting matches.

My $.0245

It's definitely an adrenaline thing to start with for sure. But there is a little bit of something else there too. Not sure exactly what it is, but it is involved with getting beyond the normal and doing something amazing, in effect.

I have always sought and involved myself in one consuming activity, or another that demanded an investment of time & effort to gain skill, and then some command of a technology. The items present in everything that I have been drawn to are (in no specific order), risk, reward, skill, loud noise, gadgets & tweaks, and the constant pushing of ones own ability compared to previous efforts. You don't just cruise, you work to get better or it's time for sumthin' new.

I went from playing loud rockroll music, to mixing live audio for world class (but still unknown at the time) musicial acts, to pavement racing motorcycles at the regional club level, to competitive shooting. I'm still shooting actively after 16 years involvement (a buddy got me started shooting NRA High Power Rifle in 1987). In another 3 years my duration of shooting will be longer than my duration of involvement with live music. Nowaday's I make a living at video and display technology and play with raceguns. This sort of explains why I like open class.

Racing, Live Music & Competitive Shooting all have one common denominator. There is one chance to get it right. No rain-check, no do-overs. Get it right now, or go down in flames. I guess it all comes down to the risk factor in the end (it's not just physical risk I am talking about here). That's what generates the adrenaline, and that's what gets you hooked.

Regards,