Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People (work) who don't read the entire e-mail

G-ManBart

Have you ever sent someone at work an e-mail asking a couple of questions and it's obvious they didn't read the entire note? You'll ask A, B and C. They reply to one of the three and don't answer or address the other two. So, you reply and ask about the other two and either get another partial answer, or no reply at all. Ugh, I hate that.

I've even had bosses do this. Me: "Hey boss, we need an answer on A by tomorrow COB, I forwarded the info for you on B, and is it okay if I take leave next Friday?" Boss: "Thanks, I'll let them know to look for the info". Grrrrr :angry:

No really, I'm typing all that other stuff just cause I enjoy it.....not!

Have you ever sent someone at work an e-mail asking a couple of questions and it's obvious they didn't read the entire note? You'll ask A, B and C. They reply to one of the three and don't answer or address the other two. So, you reply and ask about the other two and either get another partial answer, or no reply at all. Ugh, I hate that.

I've even had bosses do this. Me: "Hey boss, we need an answer on A by tomorrow COB, I forwarded the info for you on B, and is it okay if I take leave next Friday?" Boss: "Thanks, I'll let them know to look for the info". Grrrrr :angry:

If he didn't say no then I guess you can leave next friday! Yeah I hate that!

I'm with you on that hate. I USED to have a vendor that never answered more than one question... and it was usually with just a few, confusing words. Hardly ever could I take any sort of action w/o a few more emails.

be

When I email a customer, I ask one question in each paragraph.

Sometimes they still don't read it. :surprise:

Oh well.

A.T.

Oh God, that reminds me of (un-named vendor) that never answered any e-mail question directly. I tried bulleted lists (even I, myself, like bulleted lists) but often even that didn't get the whole job done. I don't know how this person made it from day to day let alone in business!!! :rolleyes: I no longer deal with this person. It was just too much trouble.

I have to deal with a "sales engineer" for a large firm who is categorically incapable of answering more than one question at a time. So everyone in the office sends him each question as an individual email.

At least he answers by email. We used to have a guy who would print out the email, scrawl (and that is putting it nicely) his answers in red pencil on the print out and mail it by US Mail back to us. Never did figure that guy out.

Ask a serial question, If this then that, if not then this then that, if neither then...

The answer comes back

OK, Do it.

No reference to which part to do or what not to do. If an entire sentence is written there is no reference to the part of the question the sentence in the reply.

And major vendors that take for ever to answer a simple question.

Jim

I heard an interview a couple of weeks ago with an aging rock star and they talked a little bit about contracts. They used to put a clause in the contract that the dressing room had to have a bowl of M&M's, but with all of the blue ones removed (or something similar.) They didn't do this because they were prima donna's, they did it to see if the promoter read the contract. If he didn't read that part, he probably didn't read the part about structural requirements for their stage equipment, etc.

I've had to deal with an AT&T manager who, despite all efforts by me, would not send an email back to me on any subject, but call me, because he was afraid to put anything in writing! I'd send an email asking him something, and in the email, tell him my cell phone was broken, and damned if he wouldn't call it anyway! I finally had to go to the VP of AT&T at the time to get him to answer in an email (It's their policy and ours when dealing with contracts).

I heard an interview a couple of weeks ago with an aging rock star and they talked a little bit about contracts. They used to put a clause in the contract that the dressing room had to have a bowl of M&M's, but with all of the blue ones removed (or something similar.) They didn't do this because they were prima donna's, they did it to see if the promoter read the contract. If he didn't read that part, he probably didn't read the part about structural requirements for their stage equipment, etc.

Rumored to be Van Halen.

I hate this too, but proves the adage that "e-mail isn't communication, but just words".

Rarely do I handle anything really important with e-mail - a phone call almost always works better.

This is not a rebuttal - just an observation.

And a very good one! Now if I can only get people to answer their phones!

I prefer doing business with email. I save them to my hard drive.

A.T.

My employer has gone virtually paperless. Part of my job is to make sure management at various levels are kept informed of maintainance issues and developments, regardless of there level of involvement. I need to ensure that not only do they know, but that I informed them in a timely manner.

I get partial answers, or vague replies.

I save everything, and BCC my boss where appropriate.