Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want to know

Rolex

For all those that have been shooting SS .45ACP

Just purchased a new SA .45ACP model # PX9152L.

What are the best 8 rd mags for this gun? The two 7rd

mags it came with ah- well lets just say- there has to be

some better made ones? :rolleyes:

Wilson 47DE, the ones with the extended basepads that need to have the bottom front filed down to fit the box. Those extended basepads are a MUST with the large magwells to ensure seating the mag all the way in the heat of the moment

The best mags are the ones that run 100% in YOUR gun. CMC PowerMags, WC 47Ds, WC EMTs, Tripp Cobra Mags are all first rate.

+1 to what zhunter said about extended base pads. They are a must with a mag well for sure seating and to spare your palm from bruising, but they do have to be contoured to fit in the box.

I like these mags in this order:

Tripp Research

CMC power mags

Wilson ETMs

I like metal followers that is why I chose CMC over Wilsons. Wilsons are great mags its just a personal

A BIG plus 1 to what Steve said, if you gun runs 100% on some GI throw back from WWII then run the snot out of it with them. If you want to run Tripp mags and a SVI or a Dawson pad and feel that you need a little mag sticking out to seat the mag good every time, and I strongly suggest that you do, call Virgil and ask him to build you some system mags. They are cut down 10 round mags that still fit the box and that is what I use for my .40 SS. If you want to run wilsons, get the extended pad and round the front. IDPA boxes are cheap, just buy one and make the gun fit with the mags and your good to go.

Edited by steel1212

Hello: I vote for Wilson 47D's. They just seem to work in every 45acp 1911 I have tried them in. They are easy to clean and are available. I have tried almost all the different types of mags in one 1911 or another. I also loaned some out to people who were having problems with there mags. On a closing note you can never have too many mags for your 1911 45's :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Just to add another vote for the Wilson's. I used 47D's and they were great, now I use the ETM's. Just a little easier to reload with. But like everybody else said, whatever works in your machine. By the way our host has great prices on Wilson mags.

Kevin

+1 Wilson 47DE because they not only run they have a little space in them that makes them 8 reloadble. Chip Mc mags work but need to be slammed home hard on a reload. IN SS you do a lot of reloads so making them easier and better is huge.

Bought mine on sale at Midway USA 47DE $25 and the chips $13. I carry 6 on the belt and start with a chip out of the pocket if I move I reload.

Single Stack is a lot of fun to shoot, not boring like open.

I'm an old school, dyed in the wool 1911 guy, and have been for decades. One is a highly customized SA Lightweight 5", and the other is a mostly stock Series I Kimber Custom Royal. Both of those guns have run well on Wilson mags, but the SA seems to prefer the Wilson, and the Kimber seems to prefer the Chip McCormick's. That kinda stands to reason; McCormick was the guy who designed Kimber's gun. The original mags that came with my CR were actually Shooting Star mags, before Kimber started making them in house. In talking to a lot of knowledgeable shooters, the consensus has been that the Kimber mags don't work as well as the Shooting Star mags did.

Whatever you end up with, if they choke, get rid of 'em. If they're old, just smash 'em flat. Magazines are consumable items and are not something to fall in love with.

My current favorite is the Tripp Cobramag. the mags run great, and the basepad fits my hand on reloads the most consistent of them all.

before that, the CMC Powermags and the Wilson mags.

My current favorite is the Tripp Cobramag. the mags run great, and the basepad fits my hand on reloads the most consistent of them all.

How do the Tripps fit in an S&A mag well?

How do the Tripps fit in an S&A mag well?

my SA magwell was blended open to the frame..and the Tripp mags were great..

Best available: Wilson ETM - just as nice as the good ol 47's, but sexier. I have yet to see a gun that won't run on Wilson's.

Tripp's mags also seem very nice.

I've seen a few Chip's that don't work in a few guns, but have no first hand experience with them.

I'm still using 47D's and will be for a long time.

I've used CMC Power Mags for the last 3 years with no problems. Tough, simple and easy to maintain.

Just installed a Dawson Ice magwell on my S&W 1911 and the 8 round Power Mags are flush. Will take a positive reload to make sure it is there.

Something else you can try guys, if you have a mag, say a CMC power mag or a wilson that the spring needs replacing, look at Tripps spring and follower. You can buy those seperatly, and you add a nice metal follower, with front skirt so that the follower doesn't slide forward and a metal contact point for the slide stop.

I just bought a number of Tripp Cobra Mags and the other nice thing about them is that you can tune the follower. In the days when all magazines had the JMB designed follower, and you had one that wasn't making enough contact with the slide stop to reliably lock the slide open all you had to do was teak the foot slightly to the side. You can't do that with the CMC flex follower and you obviously can't do to with the all plastic Wilson follower. The Tripp has a metal bar around the plastic follower that is what contacts the slide stop. A slight bend with a pair of needle nose pliars and you'll get much more positiive contact with the slide stop. I've been using CMC PowerMags for years with no failures of any kind, but just this week the older ones decided to miss the slide stop causing difficult extraction, and obviously, failure to lock back. I tuned all my new Tripps for much more positive contact.

ETA: oh and by the way, the Tripp feed lips are CNC machined not just bent like other magazines. They are very nice.

Edited by Steve J