Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 55grain bullets and 69grain bullets?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I just received some 55 grain bullets and already loaded some 69 grain bullets. I am planning on using both of these bullets with one powder if possible. I loaded the 69's with Varget on the RL1050 and loaded some 55 as well(I actually ran out of powder). I need to order some more powder but which kind? I will be using these for 3-gun stuff if that helps in a 18" AR. If using 2 different powders that would be fine as well. Lastly loading 223 on a RL1050 is a slow process compared to loading 9mm. I guess the savings makes up for that. Maybe I should try the 550 it may be faster? Thanks, Eric

Hello: I just received some 55 grain bullets and already loaded some 69 grain bullets. I am planning on using both of these bullets with one powder if possible. I loaded the 69's with Varget on the RL1050 and loaded some 55 as well(I actually ran out of powder). I need to order some more powder but which kind? I will be using these for 3-gun stuff if that helps in a 18" AR. If using 2 different powders that would be fine as well. Lastly loading 223 on a RL1050 is a slow process compared to loading 9mm. I guess the savings makes up for that. Maybe I should try the 550 it may be faster? Thanks, Eric

I like 748 for both 55 and 69 grain bullets. I still load .223 on my single stage Lyman press.

I've loaded a lot of 223 with W748 and BLC-2. I've had good luck with both - the Winchester powder gives better velocity but is a bit more temp sensitive. I've settled on BLC-2 since I can get it in 8lb jugs a little cheaper.

I am using AA2230

and have worked, out the the data so that the 55's and the 69's fly the same path, with the same 200 yard zero.

16 inch barrel.

on stages 200 and under I shoot the 55's 200+ the 69's

Jim M ammo

I am using AA2230

and have worked, out the the data so that the 55's and the 69's fly the same path, with the same 200 yard zero.

16 inch barrel.

Jim M ammo

Well, how about posting your recipe here. I would love to see it.

I am using AA2230

16 inch barrel.

Jim M ammo

I have it at home,,, I'll post it then.

but for now the 69's run at 2731fps and the 55's 28--fps I can't remember right off.

The powder drop is not that different.

With a crony, getting your data, using handloads.com ballistic calculator. And no matter what you are shooting work your loads and numbers, and you can work up something you can work with. The path is within an inch or so out to 500 ish..

It worked well for me at the RM3G.

Jim M ammo

For short range (100 yds or less) I use 23g of Win748 behind any cheap 55g bullet.

I've done some testing with this load and compared it to winchester 55g factory (isrealie made), American Eagle 55g, and Rem Umc 55g. Before and up to 75 yards, there was at most a 1/2" difference between 10 - 75 yards.

From 75 - 100 yards, they spread out but no more than 1.25".

So, for my short range 3gun load, that is what I use out to 100 yds. I use a JP rifle with a 16" lightweight barrel and have been able to hit those annoying 6" tall poppers at 50 yards that some of the 3gun stage designers like to put out.

Past 100 yds, I use factory Black Hills 69g (blue box).

I am using AA2230

16 inch barrel.

Jim M ammo

This seems to be getting pretty popular.. usually both are going about 2,800fps..

I'm starting to work this up too..

I use Hodgden Benchmark behind my 55 Hornady FMJBT's and my 69 SMK's

Works great and point of impact workes out perfectly for the two loads. My 55's are POA/POI at 100 and my 69's are POA/POI at 200.

Benchmark is like Vargets little brother. Gets me 1/2 moa easily.

My 55's go 3000 and my 69's go 2800.

I am using AA2230

16 inch barrel.

Jim M ammo

Ok I looked it up,, AA2230 24.1Gr for 55 and 69

the 55's run 2815

the 69's run 2730

they fly close enough.

200- shoot the cheaper bullets, 200+ spend the money

Jim M ammo

I am currently testing Ramshot TAC powder. I have read some good reports on it for .223 and .308. It meters extremely well on my 550 press. I am loading 55 and 69 grain bullets.

That's the next powder that I'm going to test.

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
I am using AA2230

16 inch barrel.

Jim M ammo

Ok I looked it up,, AA2230 24.1Gr for 55 and 69

the 55's run 2815

the 69's run 2730

they fly close enough.

200- shoot the cheaper bullets, 200+ spend the money

Jim M ammo

I am doing the same with TAC and 55gr for 200yds and closer and 75gr out farther. same 200yd zero puts both in the same spot. 18" 1/7.7 bbl. and the 55's shoot just fine out of that twist.

55gr w/24.2 gr = 2911fps

75gr w/23.5 gr = 2702 fps

I have had really good luck with Ramshot powders. TAC works very well for the heavies and Exterminator works great for the 55's. They both meter very well and locally they seem to be very easy to get.

Either powder will also work well for both bullet weights, but you will have a little compromise depending on which single powder you choose.

• 2 months later...
55's = H335 or W748.

69's = Varget

That's very much what I have seen in several different places. What's a little less clear is which weight bullet to use for what. Most of the data I can find is for varmint hunting, something I'm not interested in doing at this point.

I'm building an AR with a 20" 1:8 twist barrel and plan on shooting paper and steel between 100 to 200 yds. It's my understanding that Varget + heavier bullets will work better for this but I can't quite figure out why unless it has to do with the twist rate.

I'll probably start with the less expensive 55gr bullets, but would really like to have a better understanding of what works and why. I've done some searches on the forum on this, but can't seem to find anything that's really on-point (or my search-fu is weak).

55 FMJs are not inherently very accurate bullets ... you can find several better at 52 or 62 grains from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, maybe Hornady.

Faster twist barrels (1: 7, 7.7 or 8) can stabilize heavier bullets ... most HP shooters use 75 Hornady and 80 Horandy AMax, 77 / 80 Sierra and Noslers for 300 and 600 yd shots. The lighter bullets might be OK in a fast twist but it's an individual thing - need to try it.

I use RL-15 and AA2460 for 69 and 77/80; 4895 and Varget are also good but don't meter as well. For the occ short match (100 yds), I'll use 52gr Sierra matchKings and 335.

/Bryan

• 3 weeks later...