Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for 55grain bullets and 69grain bullets?

Aircooled6racer

I have had really good luck with Ramshot powders. TAC works very well for the heavies and Exterminator works great for the 55's. They both meter very well and locally they seem to be very easy to get.

Either powder will also work well for both bullet weights, but you will have a little compromise depending on which single powder you choose.

What load did you use with the XTerminator? I'm having a hard time working up a load for 55g FMJ. OAL 2.260 per the load guide. Just can't get better that 2.5" at 100 yds with an AR that I get .5" at 100 yds all day with handloaded 69g SMK. Can you throw a little kindness? Thanks!

What load did you use with the XTerminator? I'm having a hard time working up a load for 55g FMJ. OAL 2.260 per the load guide. Just can't get better that 2.5" at 100 yds with an AR that I get .5" at 100 yds all day with handloaded 69g SMK. Can you throw a little kindness? Thanks!

What 55 fmj are you using. They are not created equal. Hornady 55 fmj's shoot almost as well as Sierra Match Kings. "Milspec" bullets may not have the quality required to shoot good groups.

<!--quoteo(post=1136196:date=Jan 19 2010, 12:06 AM:name=rockymtnflash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rockymtnflash @ Jan 19 2010, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1136196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What load did you use with the XTerminator? I'm having a hard time working up a load for 55g FMJ. OAL 2.260 per the load guide. Just can't get better that 2.5" at 100 yds with an AR that I get .5" at 100 yds all day with handloaded 69g SMK. Can you throw a little kindness? Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What 55 fmj are you using. They are not created equal. Hornady 55 fmj's shoot almost as well as Sierra Match Kings. "Milspec" bullets may not have the quality required to shoot good groups.

Winchester 55g FMJ

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having very good results with Win748 on my 55 gr loads. I'm currently working up a load for 69 gr BTHP's with Reloader-15, but so far the results have not been too spectacular. But I'm on the lower end. Hopefully bumping it up some more will shrink my less than stellar groups.

ETA (info to keep Mr. Graham happy....)

55 gr FMJ (milspec)

BC: no idea

25.9 gr Win 748

FPS: haven't chrono'd yet, but am pretty sure I'm over minor PF for rifle

18" bbl, 1:8 twist

Zero'd for 200 yds

Edited by 2MoreChains

I don't want to seem overly critical here, but I'm finding it very difficult to sort all the various recommendations out because most of them lack half the information needed.

It seems to me that to judge a load you need to know the following:

Bullet weight, BC and profile, or enough to look it up (e.g. 69gr Sierra HPBT does not have the same BC as a Nosler 69g HPBT and will not fly the same)

Powder weight

FPS at 10'

Barrel length and twist

Zero distance

Am I being too picky here or what?

• 2 years later...

55 FMJs are not inherently very accurate bullets ... you can find several better at 52 or 62 grains from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, maybe Hornady.

Faster twist barrels (1: 7, 7.7 or 8) can stabilize heavier bullets ... most HP shooters use 75 Hornady and 80 Horandy AMax, 77 / 80 Sierra and Noslers for 300 and 600 yd shots. The lighter bullets might be OK in a fast twist but it's an individual thing - need to try it.

I use RL-15 and AA2460 for 69 and 77/80; 4895 and Varget are also good but don't meter as well. For the occ short match (100 yds), I'll use 52gr Sierra matchKings and 335.

/Bryan

I'm glad you mentioned the 52g BTHP SMK's. I like them for 100yds or less. I use AA2230 and want to work up a load using BLC 2. Have you tried any of these, by chance?

I use Hodgden Benchmark behind my 55 Hornady FMJBT's and my 69 SMK's

Works great and point of impact workes out perfectly for the two loads. My 55's are POA/POI at 100 and my 69's are POA/POI at 200.

Benchmark is like Vargets little brother. Gets me 1/2 moa easily.

My 55's go 3000 and my 69's go 2800.

If you don't mind me asking. How much Benchmark are you using?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone using H335 with 69gr bullets? I like the accuracy I'm getting with Varget and 69gr smks, but that's single stage loaded as I understand the Varget doesn't meter terribly well in the Dillon powder station. Looking to speed things up by being able to load my 69gr SMK's on the 650 (and have a can of H335 for 55gr's).

~Mitch