Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what is the best all around projectile weight

bigbrowndog

cool picture of the full battery firing, if you look at the water on the firing side, it looks like the ship is being pushed backwards.

But Xre, you did not provide a reason for your choice so I am obligated to disregard the validity of your suggestion. <_<

trapr

180 grains.

Good weight in the .38, .40, 10mm, .44 and .45 handgun calibers. Can be loaded to appropriate PFs for steel, pins, USPSA, 3-gun, IDPA, ICORE, etc. Also a good weight (energy on target and B.C.s) in the .30 caliber high powered rifles and not bad in the .33 caliber rifles. 150 grains is a bit light for elk and the .45 ACP and 200 is a bit heavy for .308s and .40s. If I could have only one all-around weight, it would be 180 grains.

Edited by MarkCO

I tried to make it a POLL Charles, but I just couldn't make myself do it!!!!!!!!!! it was supposed to be HM related but this is a good topic also

Isn't this where most of the POLLS get placed?????????

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

cool picture of the full battery firing, if you look at the water on the firing side, it looks like the ship is being pushed backwards.

It is ;)

But Xre, you did not provide a reason for your choice so I am obligated to disregard the validity of your suggestion. <_<

Because it most definitely will get the job done on the other end... whatever that job is... :lol:

It is ;)

The info on the webpage you provided seems to contradict that statement but it looks to me like it is pushing the ship sideways or backwards, also. Guess you should believe what you see, not what you read, right?

"Contrary to popular belief, the ships did not move sideways noticeably when a broadside was fired.[4]"

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

The info on the webpage you provided seems to contradict that statement but it looks to me like it is pushing the ship sideways or backwards, also. Guess you should believe what you see, not what you read, right?

"Contrary to popular belief, the ships did not move sideways noticeably when a broadside was fired.[4]"

Its possible my understanding may be wrong, too, but... ;) Don't believe absolutely everything you read on Wikipedia, either... :lol:

I just realized it said "noticeably". Well, with 9 16" guns going off at the same time, I doubt you would notice anything at all for quite a long time! hahahaha.

Remember Tommy Lee Jones in that Steven Segall movie? He was right under the barrel when that thing went off. That was a 16" gun, wasn't it? Bleeding out of the ears was probably the least of the problems a person would have if they had been there when it fired.

MLM

I have laid in a supply of 155 Palma bullets for the oft chance that I start handloading.

I like the idea of one bullet for everything.

But since I started shooting Heavy Metal in 2005 a supply 144/147 grain military surplus ammo from many countries has been my out to 250 yard choice and

168's from several US manufactures for all else beyond.

So long as I can hold "minute of upper panel" @ 200 yards I am good to go!

Patrick

If I was going to use only one weight in my FAL it would be the 155gr A-Max or anyone's 155gr Palma. I haven't won the lottery yet so I use South African surplus (147gr) for anything out to 200 yards and switch to the 155's once I really have to work at distance. Both loads shoot close to the same point of aim out to 250 yards. The 155's are much more accurate for the longer shots. I need all the help I can get out past 300 yards with the open sights. <_<

For the .223 the Hornady 55 FMJ BT. Cheap and plentiful.. Very good to 300 + and with 95% +++ of the shots I take being inside 100 the 55 is perfect.

For my gas .308 any milsurp available is fine.

Special needs get the exotic ammo as called for.