Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Solvents

jkatz44

Don't know if I can say best except for me, but I use M-Pro7 for most everything. Non-toxic and no odor are a plus for indoors use. I'll supplement it with Kroil for thorough scrubbing on rifle barrels.

Curtis

go to Home depot buy a gallon of mineral spirits, presto gun solvent,

My guns with polymer I use simple green and hot water. The only cleaners I buy are copper solvents and I dont use them very often.

Mpro-7 all the way. gave up on hoppe's years ago.

I used paint thinner in the past with good results, but one day, while cleaning a gun, I looked at the newspaper & my gloves, that was soaked in it, as I ran my bore brush mounted to a steel rod and thought what would happen if I thru a spark :o

I figured it wouldn't be fun and stopped using it right then and there.

I watched Henning's video on how to strip and clean a Witness, and he used Brake Cleen. I started using that on my slides once they're stripped. Cheap, works great (I get the non-chlorinated one). I then use Mpro7 to finish clean, then wipe down the parts with CLP.

~Mitch

I used to use shooters choice but for the last 4 years have used no solvents on any of my pistols. I am one of those "Crazy" folks who clean their guns before every match. Usually takes 5 minutes to disassemble and wipe down everything with a rag. I run 2-3 oily patches down the bore and then re-oil and re-assemble. Done.

I've used both, and don't think either works better than the other, but I do appreciate that MPro-7 is odorless. The smell of #9 takes me back to cleaning guns with my dad, but it gets in your skin and hangs around for hours.