Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COMP-TAC PADDLE OR NO PADDLE?

sgrc1

About to order my comp-tac holster for IDPA, wondering what is the recommendation or Pros/cons of paddle vs belt holster for a mutli-purpose IDPA/carry holster? I am inclining towards paddle just for the simplicity of on/off but appreciate your thoughts.

About to order my comp-tac holster for IDPA, wondering what is the recommendation or Pros/cons of paddle vs belt holster for a mutli-purpose IDPA/carry holster? I am inclining towards paddle just for the simplicity of on/off but appreciate your thoughts.

I prefer the locking paddle for IDPA due to the belt we have to wear. For USPSA I use the belt model as it goes on a CR speed belt. The locking paddle allows you to jump belt loops if you have to, to get the holster in the right place.

I don't personally care for paddle holsters. In my experience they're not particularly comfortable. They allow the gun/holster to move around much more than a more securely mounted conventional belt rig. The hooks found on some designs, to stop the holster from being drawn along with the gun, make the rig a bear to actually get off the pants when you need to - a hideous flaw in a design one of of primary selling points of which is (theoretically) easy on/off capability. Many paddle designs just carry the gun WAY too high for a smooth draw. Etc. Etc. In my opinion, most paddle holsters are total losers. I would much rather have a more conventional holster design that mounts directly to the belt.

Hello: I have had both the locking paddle and there belt holster. The locking paddle sits further out on the body and works well for different types of pant belt loops as stated above. They are not the easiest to get on and off but are very stable. The belt holster works very well but can sometimes cannot be put in the correct position because of belt loops. You will find you are buying cloths to suit IDPA shooting. I ended up selling the locking paddle holsters I had and kept the belt holsters. The holsters I have are for 1911/2011's and Glocks. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I have both. I like the belt better-more solid, more compact. The paddle can be moved like Aircooled said. It's also good for three am in your gym shorts checking the lower forty. i.e., pants with no belt.

Same here. I would go with the Comp-Tac belt holster.

I own both types. My belt holster does not meet the IDPA holster requirements, i.e. there is daylight visible through the kydex belt loops when I am wearing the holster. Not wanting to get dinged at a major match, I purchased the paddle holster and have not looked back.

Sooner or later you will draw the gun and come out with the gun and holster. What will the paddle do that the belt one wont ? save 20 seconds putting your belt on ?

Not with the locking paddle I won't, but then again its stable enough with out the locking part that I've never drawn my gun and needed the locking part but I still put it on that way. It also allows me to put the holster where I need it, over a belt loop, and still be legal and not behind my back. It takes less time for me to put on the locking paddle than it does to take off my belt put on the belt holster, thread belt through and back through the loops than it does to just snap on the locking paddle.

I run a comp-tac locking paddle, but I had to ask them to make it IDPA legal. Holster locks on your belt, and there is no way it comes off or moves on the belt. I've been using it for over a year now with no problems. I've always found belt holsters to move around more than a paddle. Especially when there is no belt loop on your pants where you need it to get the holster to sit still. Jst my .02 cents.

I have 2 Comp-Tac holsters and both are set up for a belt.... and they're great! I played around with a paddle holster and they never seemed to work as well as I had hoped they would.