Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tough Day at the Range

Gregg K

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

send the chrony back and upgrade. I am on my 3rd chrony and each one was shot by someone besides me.

It was cheaper to just buy a spare housing with sensors rods and diffusers than to send in the old and upgrade or exchange. It was $50 to buy the spare, they are sending it out this week.

I'm shocked to hear about Smith backing off of a warranty fix.

About four years ago, I bought a 940 (9mm J-frame) from a guy on the Smith Forum. Like so many other 940s, mine had sticky chambers; even two cylinderfuls of factory stuff (that's ammunition made in a big building instead of by yourself) was enough to bring out the pound-out rod.

Then I noticed a ringed (not bulged) barrel: a kink in the rifling at the frame front face caused by overtightening of the barrel. I called Smith and was immediately FedEx-ed a shipping label.

Eleven days later it came back, new cylinder, new barrel, an action job, and a nice semi- polishing. No docs, no questions, no nothing. Just a label and a rebuilt gun.

Shoots like a house afire ever since, no sticking and a very nice action, and it even looks good.

Pretty different than the blowoff described.

Edited by Cherryriver

Man, I can't believe I let you work on my gun!!! You can borrow it for the Tx St. match. I still can't hit anything with it.

Mike

You should be more careful. Don't you know I'm a proof tester. :roflol:

Well, it lives again. Warren (ToolGuy) was so kind as to offer me a great deal on a barrel to get me back up and running again. Thanks Warren!

In the process of replacing the barrel I took out the end shake, squared up the front of the cylinder since it was .004 out of square and set the B/C gap tight. Since I had to set the barrel back 1 turn I also had to adjust the front latch. Also cut a long shallow forcing cone and installed one of ToolGuy's front sights. I shot a match with it today and so far so good. It will be interesting to see what the loads chrono with the tighter B/C gap and long forcing cone. When the new chrono gets here I'll check that part out.

Phoenix2.jpg

You have beaten me and taken my previously held title of THE MOST EPIC REVOLVER FAILURE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkoutGwA78...re=channel_page

Good luck, I don't feel as bad now...

:roflol:

You said it best yourself when the RO asked you if the screw that holds it came out of the side: "I have no clue"

Use some loctite and the cylinder won't come out. That's not S&W's fault.

You have beaten me and taken my previously held title of THE MOST EPIC REVOLVER FAILURE

This one is certainly a contender!

Was that Jay I see.

That same thing happened to me at the Sunflower Classic ICORE match. Cost me lots of points.

Cliff had it happen to him at the IRC this year. He kept shooting

You have beaten me and taken my previously held title of THE MOST EPIC REVOLVER FAILURE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkoutGwA78...re=channel_page

Good luck, I don't feel as bad now...

:roflol:

You said it best yourself when the RO asked you if the screw that holds it came out of the side: "I have no clue"

Use some loctite and the cylinder won't come out. That's not S&W's fault.

Perhaps the engineers could have designed the assembly just a little bit better. Maybe a little more "captive"?

Out of all of my weapons and out of all the ones I've fired, only S&W fans can give a reason why their pistols spontaneously fall apart.

I've gone back to my Beretta Elite - no need to worry about the slide shooting off the front of the frame during a stage.

When I go back to shooting revolver, I'm going to dummy cord the cylinder to my waist. :roflol:

Edited by DyNo!

I've gone back to my Beretta Elite - no need to worry about the slide shooting off the front of the frame during a stage.

That's right. With Beretta pistols, the slide always shoots off the back of the frame.

You have beaten me and taken my previously held title of THE MOST EPIC REVOLVER FAILURE

This one is certainly a contender!

Was that Jay I see.

That same thing happened to me at the Sunflower Classic ICORE match. Cost me lots of points.

Cliff had it happen to him at the IRC this year. He kept shooting

I shot with Cliff during IRC this year. When he realized that his yoke screw was loose, he just yelled, "Keep the timer going" and then proceeded to tighten the screw with his fingernail, then finished the stage. Awesome. Probably lost 35 seconds on that stage, but still kicked a lot of butt. I guess that's the difference between a master and a "B". The masters leave their nails long, just in case. :P

Seiichi

I shot with Cliff during IRC this year. When he realized that his yoke screw was loose, he just yelled, "Keep the timer going" and then proceeded to tighten the screw with his fingernail, then finished the stage. Awesome. Probably lost 35 seconds on that stage, but still kicked a lot of butt. I guess that's the difference between a master and a "B". The masters leave their nails long, just in case. :P

Seiichi

Two quick points: (1) Cliff is a GM in Revolver Division; (2) This still doesn't explain the bright red nail polish he wears to big matches.

Two quick points: (1) Cliff is a GM in Revolver Division; (2) This still doesn't explain the bright red nail polish he wears to big matches.

It matches the thong that he is secretly wearing under his shooting pants. :surprise:

That's right. With Beretta pistols, the slide always shoots off the back of the frame.

:):):)

Touché

:cheers: