Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked barrel a common issue?

Mister

Hi,

yesterday the barrel of my SV Sighttracker cracked. The crack is on the top of the barrel, exactly in the angle where the bridge beginns that fits to the cutout of the slide. The crack goes through an can easily be seen inside the barrel.

The gun is one year old and has about 13k shots through.

Is this a common problem with Sighttrackers? At the moment I don't know if it is better to have a new barrel fitted or to get a gun with a normal barrel and a slide that is closed on top.

Alex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I contacted SVI by e-mail since my spoken english is not easy to understand.

I tried to explain, that the sharp angle, where the crack is, causes stress concentration and I asked if it wouldn't be better to make this angle round. But I may be wrong - or I hope I am wrong... I hope the people at SV know things better.

I will inform You of the answer.

Alex

I've seen than happen to more than a couple of these guns. The older barrels didn't have enough radius in that corner and they would crack. You're lucky it didn't blow up while you were shooting it, that happened to a guy up here...

I have just got the answer from SV, that this crack is a sign of overpressurization and the barrel vents gases at the crack instead of exploding.

Ok, I had no squib and no double charge. If a standard SV cal. 40 can not deal with 175 power factor it may be so. But than this was my last SV.

Alex

I have just got the answer from SV, that this crack is a sign of overpressurization and the barrel vents gases at the crack instead of exploding.

Ok, I had no squib and no double charge. If a standard SV cal. 40 can not deal with 175 power factor it may be so. But than this was my last SV.

Alex

If you're trying to make a 175 pf or more with really light bullets then I can see this happening. I cracked three barrels in 9x21 with light bullets too. It happens.

Gary

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that I get the 175pf with 180grain plated lead bullets and 5.1gr VV N320. That's a standard load and if it is too hot for a SV, the SV should not be sold in Europe, where 170pf is the limit for major factor.

Alex

I have a open gun with a tribrid II barrel which I think uses the same blank as the sight tracker. Looking at the top view of the barrel the first thing that came to mind was is there clearance between the barrel and slide when in lock up? The wear on the side of the rib sort of looks like there has been some serious contact. If there is insufficient clearance it looks like it would try to peel the rib forward! My T2 gun is about 10,000 rounds old with absolutly no signs of that sort of crack. And I typically shoot a mid to high 170's PF load.

Just a thought,

Chuck

When I saw the picture you posted I thought as chuck has stated that there might be some interference between the slide and barrel lug. Looks to me like there's some serious wear there. Did you buy this gun directly from SV?

No, I got it from the german distributor of SV. To my understanding the gun was built by SV; I don't know if the german distributor changes something but I guess no.

Alex

The older barrels didn't have enough radius in that corner and they would crack.

Without putting too fine a point on it Matt, do you know if that was before or after SV went to barrels made in house?

I believe it was well before...

Sorry, but I was wrong on the T2 round count. It is 19,037! Here are a couple pictures that I just took to show the barrel and the slide to show the "wear" patterns. The in-battery picture is when it was brand new.

All parts are hard chrome.

Later,

Chuck

post-400-1250215587_thumb.jpg post-400-1250215596_thumb.jpg

post-400-1250215849_thumb.jpg

From the looks of the pictures I'd send the barrel and slide to SV and have them look at it, looks like the rib has been hitting the slide pretty hard.

EDIT: Stay with this issue and try to communicate the best you can with SV: be patient, they are a good group of people and have taken care of every problem I have ever seen that has been related to workmanship or material in regard to their products. It could be a translational error or a context issue at this point, I would be surprised to see them deny warranty without seeing the actual parts in question. SV has treated me extremely well and I would expect that they do the same for you when all is said and done.

Edited by HSMITH

Alex

Im sure that at SVI the guys havent undestand well you explanation.... My council is to write another email to explane better your trouble.

The crack is really strange and definitely not usually. They must take care of your trouble!

Im sure that at SVI the guys havent undestand well you explanation.... My council is to write another email to explane better your trouble.

The crack is really strange and definitely not usually. They must take care of your trouble!

Maybe they don't understand me.

To me it is new that the marks on the barrel are bad. They started to occur after just 1000 shots. After about 8000 shots the gun went back to the distributor, who is a gunsmith, for some tuning because of push-feeding. When the gun came back, it worked really fine. He should have noticed the "bad marks" on the barrel, but he didn't and that's why I think this marks are ok. But I am not an expert, I just use it in training and competition.

I sent SVI another e-mail, but they are not responding any longer. The members of my gunclub allready laugh at SVI and their statment, that the crack is caused by overpressure. I take it as it is, maybe they are corresponding with the german distributor about it and maybe they will change their mind.

I will give them some time.

Alex

Looks like a Para Ordnance frame to me.

Good catch! That would certainly explain why SV isn't too interested in helping.....

-ld

And it is a Para frame. But, that is not the OPs gun, it is mine! I just wanted to show him an example of a well used ribbed barrel that did not show any wear marks like his does.

Later,

Chuck