Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Grip

Guest qstick

I am having trouble retaining a solid grip on my para. When I was shooting a production XD, I had the grip covered in grip tape and loved it, but I can;t seem to get skateboard, stair or any other grip tape to stick to the panels of the para grip. I was hoping Scott made grip panels similair to the SVI grips they make, but I couldn't find any info on them.

Anyone have any ideas of what would stick, or what I could do to make the grip a little tackier?

Thanks,

Zach

Got a better solution. Stipple the grips with a saudering iron. I did it to mine and love it. Just be easy. It doesn't take much and the grips are thin. It makes them very sharp and grippy. If you go to deep with the iron it will warp the grips and they won't lay flat on the frame. I wish I had pictures to show. I love mine. I got tired of grip tape. It ends up simular to S_I grips that have been done the same way. TXAG

I agree with Flex. I shot a P-16 for years without the grips on. When you take off the grip there is wierd right angle on the grip and a hole in the frame by the trigger bow. Guncraft sells a "grip filler" for this and it is perfect.

Once taking off the grips, install the grip fillers and it nicely rounds off the rear of the grip. Then you can wrap the whole grip in whatever tape you prefer. I always liked the stair tread tape. Also I used to super glue the corners down and it always stayed in place.

This matched with an S&A magwell was a great setup.

I don't have a link to Guncraft, but their grip filler things were in Brownells last time I looked.

I used spray adhesive to coat both my grip panels, (with them off the gun of course!) then sprinkled some fine sandblasting sand on them. Then after everything cured, I brushed the loose sand off, spray painted the grips black, and recoated with sand while the paint was still wet. One more coat of paint, and everything was just ducky. It makes a surface like skateboard tape and is pretty durable. Since it builds out the grip a little, you may want to remove some material behind the mag release on the left grip panel before you start. This will make it easier to hit the mag release.

It really all depends on the size of your hand.

Small hand, remove the grips and grip tape the frame.

Large hands, grip tape over the grips or replace them with something larger.

For me, I had my grips stippled like TXAG suggested. Matt Trout took his soldering iron too mine about five years ago and they still work great. B)

Doc.

I really like the grip removed-tape the frame approach as it makes me feel I have more control of the gun but everyone has a different favorite feel.

The really nice thing about taping the frame is that you can do any color that skateboard tape is made. Mine are currently red, but I might just change for spring to match my shoes and handbag.

By the way can you actually remove the grips for production? I thought it was a no-no.

Wow---thanks for all the great ideas. I am hoping to leave the grip panels on the gun since my hands are fairly large. I have played around with the gun without the panels on, and it doesn;t feel secure in my hands.

One other question...if I put skateboard tape on the front strap, can I run it a little longer and put the tape under the grip panels, using the pressure of the grips to help keep it secure?

Thanks again for all the great ideas,

Zach

Gstick, another approach. I used a set of carbon fiber grips from Carbon Creations, really agressive checkering and put skate tape on the front strap(ran it under the grips. These grips have quite a bit of swell and should work well with your large hands. They are a little pricey but the gun is like grabing a hand full of fish hooks and look good too. Larry

I liked the idea of putting the tape under the panels. I put stair non-skid tape on the front and wraped it under the panels. Then cut out the tape to fit inside the outline of the grip panels. Being kind of sunk into the grip panels helped keep it from coming off. I ran it like that for 2 years without any problems. Now I need to sell it since it just sits in a box.

I use skateboard tape on the front and rear strap, and the pressure from the grip panels is sufficient to keep the tape tight enough to keep the grip safety depressed. One year so far with no problems.

Guest Larry Cazes

Zach, have you tried the checkered rubber grip panels made for the Para by Pierce grips? I have a set on mine and they have just the right amount of tackiness for me. They are available for $15.00 at the para proshop.

Larry

Hi Larry---

I didn;t realize the grips were available. I have tried to look up the para pro shop on the internet a few times recently and always get the message that the site is under construction. I thought that the pro shop was located in Pennsylvania....any idea? I guess I will call the factory in the morning and try and get a phone number....for $15, I might as well try them :D

Thanks!!!!!!!

Zach

Guest Larry Cazes

You can also order them direct from http://www.pearcegrip.com/index.htm

These have either wrap around finger grooves or just a straight panel over the front strap. I dont like anything over the front strap of the frame so I trimmed them with an exacto knife. They needed some additional trimming with a Dremel tool to fit under the dawson magwell that I have on my Dawson P14.

Smith and Alexander at http://www.smithandalexander.com/index.htm make some very high quality checkered wooden grips for the Para as well.

Happy shopping........Larry

• 1 year later...
I really like the grip removed-tape the frame approach as it makes me feel I have more control of the gun but everyone has a different favorite feel.

The really nice thing about taping the frame is that you can do any color that skateboard tape is made. Mine are currently red, but I might just change for spring to match my shoes and handbag.

By the way can you actually remove the grips for production? I thought it was a no-no.

Does anyone have a template for covering the frame of P-16 with grip tape.

One other question...if I put skateboard tape on the front strap, can I run it a little longer and put the tape under the grip panels, using the pressure of the grips to help keep it secure? 

Zach,

I do that on my limited and open guns and it works fine. The SB tape on the front strap with the factory stocks works fine for me. Sometime I will try ProGrip on my hands just to see if it makes a difference but things are pretty stable now.

Later,

Chuck

I use the 3mm bathtub tape sold at Home Depot and it sticks very well right on top of my factory grip panels. Trick is to clean the grips well of any oils, skin and dirt from it.