Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hurry Less, Do More

benos

Learning not to hurry was REALLY hard for me. It's easy for me to feel bored if I am not going 100 miles an hour. I turned it into a quest for efficiency to get past it at work. My day job for the last 15+ years includes a lot of super precision work, a thousandth of an inch is loose in my world, like throwing a pickle down the hall, and you can't hold very small parts of a thousandth of an inch when you hurry but you can do it easily when you focus on doing it efficiently. There is a downside though, now I time study stupid stuff like mowing patterns on my yard to see what the most efficient path is. It's OK though, it keeps my mind occupied doing mundane repetitive tasks and I shaved 17 minutes from my lawn mowing time. :roflol:

Makes me wonder about my shooting speed. I'm very slow. Wonder if I'm hurrying so much that it takes me longer to aquire and accept the sight picture and alignment? Have a match on Saturday, will test this out.

Leam

I used to tell the guys here at work "Work smarter, not harder". It's about the same thing. Do it right, efficiently. When you start to rush you forget things, make mistakes, etc which force you to do the job over which is just a waste of time.

Hum... Gonna have to throw a pickle down a hall sometime and see what happens! LOL!!!

Kinda like the old, "Fast is slow, slow is fast..." thing.

And a thought on the pickle down the hall thing...that's probably not one you want to try in front of the wife/girlfriend/significant other.

"What on Earth are you reading on that forum now that led to me getting hit by a flying pickle on my way to the bathroom?!"

I have to agree. One thing I've learned in life is that if I go too fast, I make mistakes.

It's better to take a little extra time to do it right the first time, then to waste more time later fixing all your mess ups :)

Learned this lesson from my wife. She always says "I don't look busy because I did it right the first time!" :roflol:

Frank

Edited by Franklin D Wolverton

There may be people born with it, but I wasn't one of them. I started with a big hammer and more power. Tim the Toolman Taylor- style.

Finesse, patience, and efficiency came from ruining lots and lots of projects. I occasionally will get on a bender to do something and inevitably break something instead of being patient, taking my time and being efficient.

Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

No, but that sounds quasi-interesting. :rolleyes:

But after that story Micah told to Chuck Bradley at A5 last year, I've sworn to NEVER mention my dreams out loud to ANYBODY. EVER.

Nah, Micah and Chuck are both great guys. They might bust your bag for eternity given the opportunity but both will stand up for you just as quick. They are OUR kind of people. The only thing is I can't wait to ask them about this dream conversation so I too can put the boot to your bag Chris :ph34r::roflol:

While I don't disagree in any way with the "trigger should be moving/pulling as the gun is moving toward the target" idea, I'd like to suggest an optional method to experiment with. The idea behind it is "do and complete one thing at a time." At the buzzer, first, get in position and the sights aligned on the target as quickly as possible (without pressing the trigger to the rear at all). Then, press the trigger straight to the rear with one continuous, committed movement.

I know it sounds slower, but work with it for few weeks or a month, dry firing and at the range. It's not easy to do because we naturally want to get that trigger moving as soon as possible. Nevertheless, we often do things quicker if we focus on each step of an operation one step at a time. And mastering this technique may bridge the gap to the ultimate, whatever that turns out to be.

be

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...rolling+trigger

Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

haha I love that movie

I agree that "fast is slow and slow is fast" I had it demonstrated to me by a friend today while at the range for a practice session. I shot a couple targets between boxes my way (standing) then shot them (1 second faster) on the move between boxes. Good stuff!

Well I'm a speed freak. My job pays a set amount for a job regardless if it takes 8 hours or 1. So I have the skill to slam through a job and be off in 4 hours with the job done right. The bad part of this is I expect everything to work like this and I get frustrated when it does not. Good for some things, not so much for others. I guess my motto is Hurry more,Do more

Well I'm a speed freak. My job pays a set amount for a job regardless if it takes 8 hours or 1. So I have the skill to slam through a job and be off in 4 hours with the job done right. The bad part of this is I expect everything to work like this and I get frustrated when it does not. Good for some things, not so much for others. I guess my motto is Hurry more,Do more

I'm wondering if by "hurry" you mean "efficient"? I can do things very quickly, deliberately, without hurring. To me the meaning of "hurry" runs deep. A shooting mantra I had that kept my mind in the right spot was - I move quickly but I'm not in a hurry.

Many years ago I got my first job as a flat rate line mechanic. That may have been when I first realized how important it was to work efficiently. Watching the guy next to me fly around the car with the right tool in his hand at each second - I thought, wow, there's some money to be made at this job. My mechanic mentor, Tom Pomeroy, the genius that he was and still is, paid me by the hour. So it wasn't until I got a job at a dealership that I even learned what "flat rate" was.

be

Ever try to thread a sewing needle really fast? Party starts when I get there. Been my philosophy for a long time-I think I got it from Keith Richards. For different reasons. Keeps headaches and indigestion to a minimum. Now, if you are going to chase me, I do run a lot and can move if I have to. John Wooden had a saying very similar-don't hurry but be quick. Shooting is many precise movements done very quickly-that is one of the reasons I love it. Hurry less, do more. Yes.

Interesting little post.

I guess I tend to agree. Which is a round a bout way of saying I totally agree. I don't hurry on really anything that I can think of. I don't hurry at work, I don't hurry when I shoot, I don't hurry when I drive etc. etc. Even when shooting skeet, I find that shooting the targets as I see them is best. But the second step is that the goal is to break the bird, not break it fast. I can take all the time I need as long as the bird is flying - and that patience in general leads to more broken birds. Though I'll admit the big 2 5 alludes me still (would help if I shot a little)

I do pride myself on being first though (I'm a little competitive like that ;) )

This is nearly an identical thought process to taking extra shots in a stage. I "ain't what I once was" in this game, but I remember watching shooters shoot stages way back in the day (actually with Brian on MANY occasions) and we'd be saying stuff like "good stage but that extra shot will add 2 or 3 tenths. Or even shooting a stage myself and walking away that the stage should have been faster were it not for those extra shots.

The extra shots, in general are viewed as a good thing. It means you were paying attention. But at least when I have them I always internally recognize that had I done it right initially, that the time would have been better and the stage would have FELT better.

I like it Brian. The other thing I think that society needs to get a grip on is that busy work is just that, busy work. If people just worked on what was important, and didn't force the work of piddly tasks on others, then we'd all be more efficient. We'd work a little less, make just as much, have a lot more time to ourselves, and be a lot happier.

I'm a big believer that the 4 hour work week does exist. It isn't easy to get there, but I do believe it's achievable.

Jack

I'm wondering if by "hurry" you mean "efficient"? I can do things very quickly, deliberately, without hurring. To me the meaning of "hurry" runs deep. A shooting mantra I had that kept my mind in the right spot was - I move quickly but I'm not in a hurry.

Many years ago I got my first job as a flat rate line mechanic. That may have been when I first realized how important it was to work efficiently. Watching the guy next to me fly around the car with the right tool in his hand at each second - I thought, wow, there's some money to be made at this job. My mechanic mentor, Tom Pomeroy, the genius that he was and still is, paid me by the hour. So it wasn't until I got a job at a dealership that I even learned what "flat rate" was.

be

Well actually I mean fast and efficient and yet at the same time I'm in a hurry. It's because I'm in a hurry that I go fast, and because I know my job that I'm efficient, which to me means doing it correctly. But we are talking about shooting and what your saying makes sense. Damn, you really are good :cheers:

I've found that if I take time and look at what I need to do, list it and rank it in importance, I get more of it done and better.

It's a real chore to plan and prioritize when it seems that everything is blowing up around you but it does help. It's much better than blowing every which way depending on who calls or what distracts you.

Of course, in a real emergency, the list gets a lot shorter and things that might have distracted you before, don't.