Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hurry Less, Do More

benos

I thought about this a little more last night, trying to sum up in short order what it means to me.

Think I found it. The reality is that speed will never help me as much as inefficiency will hurt me.

Jack

There is a downside though, now I time study stupid stuff like mowing patterns on my yard to see what the most efficient path is. It's OK though, it keeps my mind occupied doing mundane repetitive tasks and I shaved 17 minutes from my lawn mowing time. :roflol:

:roflol: Me too! I thought I was the only one. :cheers:

Buddy

I've found that if I take time and look at what I need to do, list it and rank it in importance, I get more of it done and better.

It's a real chore to plan and prioritize when it seems that everything is blowing up around you but it does help. It's much better than blowing every which way depending on who calls or what distracts you.

Yes. When the shit hits the fan, pause, take a belly breath or two, assess, prioritize, proceed.

be

...The reality is that speed will never help me as much as inefficiency will hurt me...

Jack

That's quotable!

I think that is genius! Exactly what I've been thinking about lately, but never could form the words to describe the feeling. Brian's is right there too, "I move quickly, but I'm not in a hurry."

...The reality is that speed will never help me as much as inefficiency will hurt me...

Jack

That's quotable!

That is a good one.

[RamblingMode]

I've been thinking about the meaning and relationship of the words "speed" and "efficiency" lately. The meaning of both are key to an IPSC shooter.

A good summary definition for efficient: Working well with little waste. I don't like the word "well" in that definition. It's vague.

I wonder if saying - "A good IPSC shooter is efficient" - is sufficient? Does efficiently also mean quickly or speedily? I can't find anything to indicate that in any of the sources I checked.

It seems to me you could do something efficiently, but also not be doing it as quickly as possible.

If I'm doing something as quickly as I can do it, efficiency is there. So speed is a by-product of efficiency. But just efficiency might be enough, for the champion IPSC shooter.

[/RM]

be

* Main Entry: ex·pe·di·tious

* Pronunciation: \ˌek-spə-ˈdi-shəs\

* Function: adjective

* Date: 1599

: marked by or acting with prompt efficiency

synonyms see fast

— ex·pe·di·tious·ly adverb

— ex·pe·di·tious·ness noun :)

* Main Entry: ex·pe·di·tious

* Pronunciation: \ˌek-spə-ˈdi-shəs\

* Function: adjective

* Date: 1599

: marked by or acting with prompt efficiency

synonyms see fast

— ex·pe·di·tious·ly adverb

— ex·pe·di·tious·ness noun :)

Nice!

So a good IPSC shooter is expeditious!

:)

A bit of a tongue twister but technically correct.

Usage 1: I'm gonna shoot this SOB expeditiously!

Result: Crash and burn.

Usage 2: I don't know what happened. But for some reason I didn't try anything at all and just paid attention to what I saw.

Result: Joy.

be

Jack

That's quotable!

Jack

That's quotable!

I think that is genius! Exactly what I've been thinking about lately, but never could form the words to describe the feeling. Brian's is right there too, "I move quickly, but I'm not in a hurry."

Thanks!!!! :cheers:

Jack

That's quotable!

That is a good one.

[RamblingMode]

I've been thinking about the meaning and relationship of the words "speed" and "efficiency" lately. The meaning of both are key to an IPSC shooter.

A good summary definition for efficient: Working well with little waste. I don't like the word "well" in that definition. It's vague.

I wonder if saying - "A good IPSC shooter is efficient" - is sufficient? Does efficiently also mean quickly or speedily? I can't find anything to indicate that in any of the sources I checked.

It seems to me you could do something efficiently, but also not be doing it as quickly as possible.

If I'm doing something as quickly as I can do it, efficiency is there. So speed is a by-product of efficiency. But just efficiency might be enough, for the champion IPSC shooter.

[/RM]

be

I look at efficiency in terms of as little waste as possible. The waste can be motion, mistakes, accuracy etc. but the waste can also be time. Saying it differently, if I shoot a stage with no points down, no mis-steps, no wasted movement - was I efficient? By some definitions, yes. But if I chose to waste time by not doing things as expeditiously as I could, then I would still say I was inefficient. For me, the very term efficiency relates to time and accuracy. Abuse of either means waste, which isn't efficient (IMO)

Jack