Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 15-22 and Colt/Umarex .22 Tactical Rimfire rifles?

Anybody have any experience with these rifles?

http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index.php?op...80&Itemid=1

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-m16-rifle

My local dealer has the Umarex M4 in stock. I was going to buy one but he mentioned the M&P and that it would be cheaper and would be comming out next month.

Do these rifles take Ciener or Black Dog mags?

I shot the Colt M4, but not enough for a good review. I only put about 20 rounds through it. It worked, it was reasonably accurate. The weight and feel of it seemed like a regular M4. The trigger was really, really heavy.

I fondled the S&W at the NRA show - it felt like a piece of airsoft crap. I fired a mag out of a friend's Colt - it also felt like a piece of airsoft crap, and IIRC it is a dedicated lower (i.e. cannot install a different upper on it). The mags are not BlackDog in either rifle, but they look well enough made (plastic, of course). For a little more $$$ I would build a dedicated upper, or for a lot less $$$ a conversion unit... at least it will feel like you have a real gun in your hands.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have a Spike's Tactical ST-22 and it works great. It's a dedicated upper and if I take the upper off, I can put on a .223 upper and shoot it just fine. They are solid guns.

If you get one of the ones you listed, check into the mags. I'll bet they take dedicated mags that might be hard to get.

I use the Black Dog mags with the Spikes.

Edited by HI5-O

I have a Ciener Kit which I am currently using it with one of my .223 uppers. I also have the Nordic dealie on a 10/22.

My main lower is exhibiting enlarged pin holes. Living in Kaliban my grandfathered lowers are "priceless" and I want to keep them functional as long as possible.

$500 for the M&P and $600 for the Umarex... can't beat that.

I shot about 50 rounds through one of the m&ps, it seemed like a neat toy. It seemed to feed and function just fine. The trigger was a bit heavy, but I was told that regular ar trigger parts would fit so that might could be improved. Didn't get a chance to group it so I have no real idea of accuracy potential. Wasn't a problem to keep most of them in the head A zone at 20-25 yards. The one I handled didn't have a threaded muzzle (which is an irritation). But I was told that later versions would.

Have one of the Colt's at work, and like was previously said the trigger is atrocious and non replaceable. Proprietary mags with an open window to allow plenty of dust and crap in there with your bullets. It's not going to come home with me.

Cannot comment on the other.

IMO the Nordic+Ruger 10/22 combo is FAR superior. YMMV.

I've done a bunch of reading this weekend on the Colt/Umarex rifle.

It seems it's either feast or famine with these rifles. Some folks have had zero problems and others have had nothing but problems. Some of the problems include cracked receivers.

My local shop has one and I was considering it. Now, I believe I'll consider either the Spikes Tactical or Tactical Solutions complete uppers.

Dave

Have had the colt a few weeks now, started out bad, wouldn't fully chamber 10% to 50% of rounds depending upon ammo, this of course caused misfires.

Seem to have solved this through a full teardown (difficult) with an agressive chamber polishing with JB and tweaking the tension on the bolt spring which is easily adjusted. Reliability now seems to be almost 100% with most ammo except thunderbolts. Seems very accurate.

The CMMG drop in unit works great on my AR which give me the same trigger and weight and sights as my centerfire gun. There was one dealer at the gun show today selling them new with one mag for $289.00. The mags work perfect and I do not have to try and squeeze another rifle in the safe.

I have spoken with several of my customers about the Umarex (Colt name and logo was licensed), with 9 out of 10 having some issue with the rifle. I've handled a few samples of the S&W M&P15-22; they were neat and they functioned well for a bunch of guys at the range. S&W began delivering small quantities of M&P15-22's to wholesale the last week of July, so look for one on your dealer's rack this week...

ETA:

I just field stripped a new M&P15-22. The trigger components appear to be standard AR parts and all the hole locations on the lower appear to be the same (without breaking out the calipers to measure). The pistol grip and the butt stock can be changed out for aftermarket parts (i.e. Magpul, Viltor, Hogue etc). The integral carbine length buffer tube is hollow so you can add some weight. The magazines are a proprietary design that S&W produces in-house.

Edited by Middle Man

• 1 month later...

I bought a S&W AR15-22 last week on sale. Took it out to the range today so here's my initial opinion. Even though it's made of plastic it's solid and handles just like a real AR. Good practice with cheap ammo and loads of fun-when it works. First, the magazines. It came with one and the store where I bought it didn't have any others. They are advertised as 25 rounds but I could only get 22-23 rounds in mine, and it wouldn't feed when fully loaded. More like a 20 round magazine, although maybe it will wear in. The rifle misfed 5 or 6 times per mag. It would jam with the bolt about 9/10 closed and the round in the chamber. It bent the bullet or otherwise warped the round so it couldn't be reused. The round always ejected with the charging handle. It appeared to strip a round from the mag and then chamber it at an angle so the bolt wouldn't close. Or maybe the bullet is hitting something and deforming before it chambers. Not sure where to go from here to get it to work. I'll keep trying because I really like the way the rifle feels and handles. It's also as accurate as any other .22 semiauto I've got.