Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Packing list for Nationals

Jeff686

I'm making my packing list for the Nationals. I don't want to take 10 suitecases and a kitchen sink. However, I don't want to forget anything important. Anyone care to review my list?

Things I'm not sure about:

Cooler for food and drinks - do they have food and cold water at the match? This could be a pain on the airplane.

Water bottle or canteen or camel pack (same question as above, is H2O readily available)

Personal Computer - I have an iPhone to post online with, but I may go through internet withdrawl without my PC. Depends on how much 'carry on' stuff I have.

Cable lock or similar - to lock gun in trunk if I have to leave it in the car, could double as extra lock to keep pelican case inside luggage for air travel

CED timer - what for, dryfire in room? Not sure if I'd do that.

Gear Cart - I'm spoiled by having a gear cart, but don't know if I want to fuss with it as luggage. I'd really love to have it for a 4 day match.

Things I'm sure about:

Red Dot Batteries

Holster Rig

Camera

Camera Batteries/charger

iPhone, charger, headset

Cleaning Rags

Ear plugs

floppy hat

baseball hat

gun

gun rug

magazines

Lens Cleaner wipes

Magazine brush

gun cleaning stuff

oil

knife

pens

plastic bags

raincoat

cash

contacts (x2)

contact solution & extra case

oakleys

tape gun + extra tape

timer

tool kit

squib rod

knee pads

upLula

Techwear shirt

sunscreen

notepad

leatherman

hand wipes

ipuprofen

claratin

backpack

Range bag

shooting shoes (2 pair)

I usually bring extra parts for my gun and mags like springs, sights, etc. to major matches and a back-up gun. My back-up gun is my bedside Glock even though I shoot an SV that way I can't be accused of improving my equipment if I need to sub in the gun.

Just a thought!

Edited by Pezco

What you take with you:

- Gun, mags, ammo, eyes, ears, belt (inner), holster (outer belt)

- Range bag, extra batteries, tools, spikes, timer, etc.

- Laptop, reading material & MP3 Player

- Wallet, Cell phone, charger, checkbook

- Personal hygiene/meds items and all reservations documents

What you buy when you get there:

- Stop at Wal-Mart:

* Styrofoam Cooler

* Consider picking up a folding chair

* Snacks, case of water, ice

* Anything else you need/want (sun block etc.)

* Baby wipes (or the Dan Carden bottle of magic happiness)

My usual "load out" for a pistol match:

Bag #1: Rolling duffle that cost me $40 at Target

- Holds range bag, pistol and ALL shooting related gear

Bag #2: Regular gym type/over the shoulder bag

- Holds clothes, ammo and everything I don't want to carry on the plane

Bag #3: Backpack (carry-on)

- Laptop, MP3 player, reading material, cell phone, wallet, doc's (travel light)

Fly Southwest, no extra bag fees and have fun!

Rich

ETA: Everything you bought at Wal-Mart doesn't go home with you. No point as it's served its purpose. ;)

Edited by uscbigdawg

Bring all the stuff you want, but most of it will never get used, and you just have to lug it around. If I'm flying to a match I want to minimize what I bring to the bare essentials, and ship your ammo, it gets real easy to over load a bag if you chose to lug it. Rich is right buy what you might need at the match you are going to stop and get a bottle of water/Gatorade every day so pick up what you need as you go. At Nationals you'll be able to buy any gun parts you need so leave those at home, unless you have some super duper rare ninja stuff that can only be obtained by fasting for five days and making an offering to Athena.

This is exactly why I like driving to a big match when I can. When I drive and can throw in whatever I want to bring and I am not afraid to bring something I might need. I am one of those people who try and think of everything and hate not bringing something I need.

I will be shooting both Nationals back to back and since it is in Vegas I will be driving my double cab truck with a shell on it.

Neal in AZ

Thanks guys! That's some great advice from everyone. I do want to travel as light as possible. However, I don't want to screw things up by forgettting something important. I like the idea of a trip to Walmart once I get there!!

I think I'll reconsider some of the stuff on my list, like the timer and squib rod. I plan to be carefull and only take the bare essential tools and cleaning stuff. Everything else is pretty much necessary.

I'm already planning to ship ammo, and I am flying on Southwest. As far as the spare parts, I shoot a Tanfoglio. I don't have to pray to Athena, just Henning. I'll take what I have on hand.

I just want to be sure I don't forget something really important. I would hate to not have a left-handed smoke shifter, when everyone knew to bring theirs.

Don't overthink it. Nationals is nothing other than a big club match. If you're prepping for it any different, maybe your club match prep needs to change? ;)

Seriously though. You know what you need (to shoot the match). Everything else is flare.

Rich

Don't overthink it. Nationals is nothing other than a big club match. If you're prepping for it any different, maybe your club match prep needs to change? ;)

Seriously though. You know what you need (to shoot the match). Everything else is flare.

Rich

Yes, I agree, generally. The problem is that since I drive to local matches, I ususally throw a few extra things into the car... toolbox, extra ammo, cooler with drinks, some rags, can of action blaster, sweater, spare sox, etc. I have had occassion to use all those things, but just not often. Having to fit into a suitcase is a whole different ball of wax.

You're going to be in Vegas in September. Weather is a VERY small factor.

Just think about what you take and decide if it's what you pack or what you buy. Frankly, no matter how cold it is I can shoot in shorts, so that rules out any additional clothing south. :) Throw a light sweater/wind breaker for chilly mornings (that will warm up). Wal-Mart has Gun Scrubber/CRC Brake Cleaner (same stuff IMHO) and pretty much every other doo-hicky we need.

When I roll in to a town, first stop is Wal-Mart for the items mentioned above, can of brake cleaner, small bottle of Hoppe's #9 and some patches. I've yet to find a Wal-Mart (even in California) that didn't have this readily available.

You'll be fine. You need about a gym bag worth of clothes for the match. It's only what 3.5 days? Same as any Area or some Sectionals.

Rich

Water will be available- 800 cases or so as I heard today, along with a trailer load of ice to keep it cool. Parking and shooting are a long way apart, so carrying a cooler will mean schlepping a cooler several hundred yards per day.

There are about 20 WalMarts in town, along with every other store imaginable.

Bring sun protection and stuff to deal with the heat. It will likely be in the high 90's or low 100's through the match. The morning low will be in the mid to upper 80's.

Knee and elbow pads- the range is gravel.

Remember you'll only be shooting about 6 stages per half day. I'm hoping a couple sports drinks and the water on the range should be adaquate. My biggest issue getting ready has been getting my main suitcase under 50 pounds. :surprise:

Holy Smoke!

What the heck are you planning on bringing a tape gun and extra tape for??? They will have pasters there. Rain jacket, leave it at home. You'll be able to buy plastic bags, a styrofoam cooler, gatorade, etc in Las Vegas. It is in the United States, you know. :P Shoes will get dusty, not muddy. Get a roll of paper towels for cleaning, tool kit, that's a screwdriver set and pliers. That should take care of repairs. A spare gun is better than tools. Are the lens cleaner wipes for glasses or camera lenses? If it's for glasses, bring the spray stuff and get some tissues locally. One spare battery or set for the dot.

I noticed you forgot underwear.

Remember you'll only be shooting about 6 stages per half day. I'm hoping a couple sports drinks and the water on the range should be adaquate. My biggest issue getting ready has been getting my main suitcase under 50 pounds. :surprise:

We're flying intercontinental and staying for two weeks after the Nationals for a vacation. Now THAT is going to be some creative packing :)

• 3 weeks later...
Water will be available- 800 cases or so as I heard today, along with a trailer load of ice to keep it cool. Parking and shooting are a long way apart, so carrying a cooler will mean schlepping a cooler several hundred yards per day.

Bring sun protection and stuff to deal with the heat. It will likely be in the high 90's or low 100's through the match. The morning low will be in the mid to upper 80's.

Would you suggest all terrain shoes or cleats?

Would you suggest all terrain shoes or cleats?

I'm taking both. I still haven't seen a good picture or video of the range surface. Everything I've seen looks like desert dirt with a few rocks scattered about??

Think of the match as 3 club matches in a row and bring what you'd need to shoot those, excepting timer, pasters, paint and so on (actually we will probably be asked to paste, so a paster gun might not be a total waste..)

Spare batteries, small cleaning kit (capable of cleaning mags), oil, pro-grip and you're good. In emergencies (broke your only pair of shooting glasses or whatever), plead with Troy and make a run for town.