Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Refinishing slide on my Pro

Sarge

I am thinking of sending my Pro to Dan B this winter for a trigger job and was thinking of getting the slide hard chromed or blasted and was wondering if anyone had done the same and learned any reasons NOT to do it. I like the look of it but don't want to screw up a good thing. Thanks much.

While the slide is stainless; it is not stain-free, and the removal of the black coating is one less layer of protection for your gun.

If you maintain a blasted slide, it should be fine, but Ive seen a few folks who have some pretty caustic sweat, and less than ideal cleaning habits.

Dan has a couple different options for slide finishes. He'll chime in.

You cannot hard chrome stainless.

I blasted the slide of one of my earlier slides and it looked great......but it started showing dark stained areas. Not really rust but darker areas that really showed up. I though it might have been from something that got imbedded from my blast media but now that Mike is saying the same.....I'm thinking its something in the alloy or a by product of the melonite.

While shopping for SS BBQ grills I learned there is a variety of SS grades. The non-magnetic ones are the best at holding a raw finish, but not all SS is created equal. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel and you will find about 30 grades of SS materials. I think the SS in the M&P has a bit more on the industrial grade SS, rather than the "brush finish" or "high polish" material.

Huh, that's funny I have had quite a few M&P slides hard chromed, all turned out great and are working well.

I do not do the hard chrome myself, but I have several shops I have worked with over the years and only one had a problem doing M&P slides but in his defense he was a farily new guy and it wasn't chrome he was trying to get to stick.

But yes stainless is just that stain less not stain proof, I no longer offer the blasted look as I didn't feel good about a gun leaving my shop that required more care than when it got here. That and I didn't ant my name associated with some rusty a$$ guns ;)

Huh, that's funny I have had quite a few M&P slides hard chromed, all turned out great and are working well.

I do not do the hard chrome myself, but I have several shops I have worked with over the years and only one had a problem doing M&P slides but in his defense he was a farily new guy and it wasn't chrome he was trying to get to stick.

But yes stainless is just that stain less not stain proof, I no longer offer the blasted look as I didn't feel good about a gun leaving my shop that required more care than when it got here. That and I didn't ant my name associated with some rusty a$$ guns ;)

I thought that was funny as well as I have always seen it on Dan's website for M&P's. Thanks for chiming in Dan.

I thought that was funny as well as I have always seen it on Dan's website for M&P's. Thanks for chiming in Dan.

Well damn.....I wish I would have known this long ago......somehwere I had come to believe it would not work. Many times I would have preferred a hard chrome finish on stainless.

Sorry for the misinformation. Thanks for setting me straight.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A friend I know had his slide and internals redone using Robar's NP3.

It looks nice and cleans up easily.

MY FS M&P9 came from a guy who polished the frame and now it looks like it has about 30 years of holster wear. I want send it to Robar and have them give it their NP3 treatment then I want to send it to Dan for a trigger job.

My 9L still has that "new car smell" so I'll wait before I do anything to it.

Edited by S391

MY FS M&P9 came from a guy who polished the frame and now it looks like it has about 30 years of holster wear. I want send it to Robar and have them give it their NP3 treatment then I want to send it to Dan for a trigger job.

BTW, if you choose to NP3 the internals, get the trigger job first...

Dan,

What have you see GOOD results with (Chrome), and anybody know anybody here in FL that does it????

I'd prefer to drop mine off and pick it up. (I've met Dan Burwell face-to-face... so I trust him entirely with my guns.) Not sure I'd like to mail mine off and hope it comes back good!

Jeff