Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popper Splatter

I have a stage where I want to place 2 poppers right next to each other. What's the best position to avoid having splatter knock down the other popper? Should they be side by side or staggered? They are forward falling poppers, if it makes any difference.

I have a stage where I want to place 2 poppers right next to each other. What's the best position to avoid having splatter knock down the other popper? Should they be side by side or staggered? They are forward falling poppers, if it makes any difference.

\Frags won't knock them down

You should have no problem with splatter causing an adjacent popper to fall. I've placed them within inches of each other and never had a problem. Figure that they are supposed to be calibrated to fall with a center hit from a 9mm at a 125 power factor I don't see a problem if they are set correctly.

CYa,

Pat

I have seen some indoor clubs use splatter shields like the ones used at some IPSC international matches. I have not seen any used at outdoor matches unless they were purely for vision barrier. Splatter shield was the secondary function.

for the forward falling poppers, it depends on the release mech. ours were modified rearward falling by one of our members, and usually work great, however, I've learned to stagger them because we have had spattler drop the one next to it.

not necessarily 125 PF.

Appendix C1: The calibration ammunition, when tested through each designated handgun, should

achieve a power factor between 115.0 and 125.0 to qualify. 9x19mm is the

recommended caliber.

What rishii said. I converted the poppers and they're kind of sensitive, although we really haven't gone through and calibrated them all on flat ground or in place when the ground is uneven. These days the ammo seems a bit too precious to do it for a club match, since with the adjustment mechanism we have it'd be: shoot the popper, turn the bolt a turn, reset and shoot it again...could end up using a whole box on the full size poppers and forget the US poppers...they'd have to be leaning forward at about a 45 degree angle to get them set right.

I have two US poppers that have been sitting next to each other forever and have never had a frag knock one down. These will fall down with a 22 shot from my Smith 41 at 25 yards. Slowly but they fall.

I didn't think I had imagined our poppers being knocked over by splatter, but you guys almost had me convinced. These are spring loaded forward falling poppers. I'm 90% sure they were converted from rear falling poppers. How deep do they have to be staggered? Is 1/2 a popper length enough?

I didn't think I had imagined our poppers being knocked over by splatter, but you guys almost had me convinced. These are spring loaded forward falling poppers. I'm 90% sure they were converted from rear falling poppers. How deep do they have to be staggered? Is 1/2 a popper length enough?

The problem actually is more pronounced if you stagger them where the splatter from one can impact the trigger mechanism for adjacent ones...lined up side by side there's usually no problem unless they end up angled a bit over the course of a match and the splatter starts hitting the triggers.

Honestly, I see very little point in calibrating the things anyway. Made sense back when a lot of people couldn't afford a chrono, and seeing one at a match was rare.

As long as they go over consistently when shot anywhere above the ankles with a 130PF 9mm load, and don't blow over on gusty days, I'm okay with it.

Besides, our poppers are ALL forward falling now, and the only adjustment is the slope of the ground the base is placed on.