Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ladies category and sexism

Wakal

Very interesting thread!

As the mentioned "A" class female Army shooter in one of the original posts, I think I may offer some insight.

I think the one fact that has been overlooked and is one of the most defining (and fun) elements of IPSC style shooting is speed. Combine strength, size, proportional anatomy, equipment, moon and star alignment, a four leaf clover and whatever else anyone wants to claim is involved, we have to do all of these things as FAST as humanly, manly and/or womanly possible.

I certainly don't want to think I am at a disadvantage as a female shooter. I refuse to accept that I cannot someday truly stand at the top. Is that realistic? Maybe and probably not, but I really don't care. Bottom line... After a few rounds down range, a couple titles and an enormous amount of fun and personal satisfaction, I am extremely proud of my "ladies" titles.

Though there are not as many of us "lady" shooters in comparison to men, I can say it is an extreme pleasure and honor to shoot with these outstanding competitors. I think it is also safe for me to say that each one of us reaches out for the highest goal possible. We may not be there yet, but we are giving it our best, rest assured.

Every lady who has ever won the title of national champion deserves it as she is the female national champion. Same thing with Junior, Senior, etc. They are called special categories for a reason, because they are special. They in no way detract from the overall match winner.

Will that one day be a woman? I certainly wouldn't mind if it were me :)

But I can say, one of the reasons I pursued a professional shooting career, as a woman was for that "ladies" national title. I hope is serves to further encourage ladies to shoot our sport.

Thanks!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake,

If I could actually get strippers to come and shoot would it matter how long the drive was???

Liota,

I hope that everyone could see that my ' idea ' was very tongue-in-cheek. The crazy thing is is that an idea like that would be wildly successful. For exactly the same reason the clubs have ' ladies night '. If the goal is to attract more shooters then ' no holds barred ', If the goal is to not falsely reward performance of ANY group then only the winner should get the scooby snacks.

I for one say bring on the girls. Rewards or whatever it takes.

I wouldn't find it a bit distracting to watch a fellow competitor stepping into the starting box wearing a feather boa and high heels!!!

:D:D:D

Shooter Grrl

didn't know you were ranked so highly, good going and congratulations.

Thank you, Tightloop! But, I'm not really :) I placed 15th out of all the Ladies at the Nationals.... just don't tell anyone that there were only 30 of us in the match!!!

BTW, guys, I'm with the other ladies. Flush toilets at the range would be kick a$$! It is one of the things that is attractive at both the Clark and Waco, TX ranges. Running water is awesome. B)

I'm down wit' da ladies on that! I gots t' have indoor plumbing and room to maneuver! :lol:

Hey Julie,

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, guys, I'm with the other ladies. Flush toilets at the range would be kick a$$! It is one of the things that is attractive at both the Clark and Waco, TX ranges. Running water is awesome.  B)

I'm down wit' da ladies on that! I gots t' have indoor plumbing and room to maneuver! :lol:

Finally a guy with the nads to admit it!

I wouldn't find it a bit distracting to watch a fellow competitor stepping into the starting box wearing a feather boa and high heels!!!

I must admit that the sight of Rhino in a feather boa and high heels would distract me... :blink:

Although down here in Texas, lots of guys wear high heeled pointy toed footwear and more than a few have feathered hatbands...

Alex

First,,,

I would pay good money to see Rhino shoot a match in said feather boa and high heels. I can see an entire article in front site devoted to the event!!!

Second,,,

Ladies shooting the game are fun to watch. Getting ' Barbie ' to come shoot would be cool but as an RO it's annoying to work with someone that really doesn't want to learn and is only there to pacify their mate. Competitive desire isn't gender specific and shouldn't be treated as such.

But,,,

Rewarding also rans is pretty common in all sporting activities. I once won second in the first sailing race I was in. I got a burgee and some glasses and a place in the records. I love the story but I always finish it by confessing that there were only two boats in my division. I could have taken the circumstances really serious and declined the award, but I had fun and now I have a souvenior to prove I did it!!!

I would pay good money to see Rhino shoot a match in said feather boa and high heels. I can see an entire article in front site devoted to the event!!!

Along those lines, I got offered $1000.00 today to perform the Chubby Checkers imitation I used to do when I was in junior high school. If I thought the guy had the money, I'd be doing the twist RIGHT NOW! B)

. . . but not in drag. That would cost . . . more.

OK then, it's settled. We eliminate Ladies category, and with the money we save on plaques and prizes, we install ladies-only flush toilets everywhere.

Erik,

After extensive research, don't ask :ph34r: , I have learned that men like flush toilets or, at least, flush urinals, too.

You can run it one way or another. PGA and LPGA run separately, or they did up until recently when women wanted in the PGA. They still don't let men play in the LPGA. No doubt running on the theory that men don't want a prize that says "I took first at a Ladies' match." We could run USPSA that way. Ugghhh! :o Just say "NO!" to LUSPSA!

Or we could just run it the way we do and let it go at that.

This has been a great theoretical discussion in places. It also has been a veeerrryy scary one in places. Rhino in drag comes to mind. :ph34r: and 3/4 Time saying he'd enjoy seeing it. :huh::blink: Don't think I would enjoy that sight. Spare us, Rhino! The mental pictures are enough. :)

L

This has been a great theoretical discussion in places. It also has been a veeerrryy scary one in places. Rhino in drag comes to mind. :ph34r: and 3/4 Time saying he'd enjoy seeing it. :huh::blink: Don't think I would enjoy that sight. Spare us, Rhino! The mental pictures are enough. :)

Methinks she doth protest too much! :P

Wonder how many contestants you would have if you had to dress as the opposite gender to shoot the match? I know I'd have to wait for that one to come out on ESPN instead of participating.

Let's see, most of the Ladies I see at the matches are wearing jeans or Royal Robbins and Infinity or STI team shirts, I'm guessing things wouldn't change that much. :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

A bit of rules trivia. Have you noticed that Junior, Senior and Super Senior categories all have definitions, but there's no definition for Lady? Well your favourite member of the Evil Empire likes to try and cover as many "what if" scenarios as possible in the rules, so I twice proposed we include the following definition:

Lady - a person born of the female sex

-:but I was outvoted by two rules committees.

So, if you ever go to a match and there's a "Lady" competitor who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger in dress and "she" wins overall in "her" division and the Lady category, don't blame me :blink: