Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi Removable Breechface Exits Gun!

Nolan

I think I may know why my Limited Gun started jamming at the end of the Limited Nationals. This Sunday at a local match it ejected the removable breechface along with the empty case. Unfortunately I didn't notice this and proceeded to clear the malfunction, chambered a fresh round and pulled the trigger.....KABOOM!

The video is here Kaboom

I'm OK, but haven't had the ambition to even really look at the gun to see what the damage was. I checked the breechface retaining screw when I cleaned the gun before the match and it was tight. We recovered the breechface and the retaining screw was sheared off leaving about 4 threads in the breechface.

Yeah I saw Ron D.'s fall out of his gun when he was loading and making ready at the nationals. Seems the screws either come loose or break. I haven't heard of anybody actually firing a round without a breechface. I'm glad nobody's hurt.

Can't you just weld that thing in place?

The problem usually occurs when the bolt is overtightened. Since it is hollow, for the firing pin to pass through, and threaded on the outside the metal is pretty thin. It cannot tolerate a great deal of torque when tightening. If the bolt is stretched once it will eventually shear as yours did.

I don't know the solution beyond not overtightening it and using a mild loctite to keep it from loosening.

Leo

Weird...I was just reading about these on SV's website recently. They are pretty sticky about using ONLY the special screw from SV. Nolan, did your's have this SV screw?

Yes, mine was and I say WAS an SVI screw. It's hollow for the firing pin to pass through. I use a standard allen wrench to tighten the screw by sticking the long arm down the firing pin hole and turning the short arm. Maybe I don't know my own strength, but I shouldn't be able to overtighten it just using my fingers.

Nolan,

I'd have thought this kind of problem was something like a once-in-a-million until the last italian Nationals ten days ago.

I saw one of the top Open competitors (shooting an SVI), who was tied for winning the match, have something similar happening to his gun: the start was in condition two, so at the beep he racked the slide to chamber a round and, much to his surprise, he saw the breechface flying out the same way your video shows it.

He was luckier than you (and I'm really glad you are safe), because he didn't actually fire the gun, but with a 27 rounds stage zeroed, his chances of winning the match went zero too.

Upon inspecting the gun after this incident, he too found the hollow screw teared apart in two pieces.

In getting worried about this happening to my SVI.

How many rounds did you fire with that gun/breechface before the incident? Maybe a planned screw substitution every 40/50k rounds will help preventing it?

Dang,

Now I don't trust my SV :(

I never have liked/understood the removable breechface.

Nolan,

Had you ever taken the BF off? Was the screw ever loose?

I bet I have 25k through my SV and I have never checked to see if the BF screw was loose. Hell, after I had to smooth out the junction on the rail where the BF and slide joined (the BF was about 2 thou lower than the slide on the disconnector rail. This made a good brass shaver. :blink: ), I had kinda forgotten all about it.

Dang,

Now I don't trust my SV :(

I never have liked/understood the removable breechface.

Ditto singlestack. The concept is neat, but who actually uses it? I can't believe a dedicated Limited or Open competitor who sets up their gun to run 100% would actually think about changing calibers to shoot something else, no matter the reason.

Matter of fact, who does use it? Does anybody know someone that has actually changed out their removable breechface? I don't.

I've had the same problem with mine but after adding some locktite to the screw it has stayed in place, but be gentle and careful. I can get mine out without overstressing the screw, now I have no problem. ;)

I love the thing. And not because I could change calibers, but only because, once a year or so, I can install a new breechface (in a few minutes) to return the headspace to dead-nuts-on without having a gunsmith weld and regrind the barrel's hood. The replaceable breechface turns a nightmare into a cakewalk.

I use a standard allen wrench to tighten the screw by sticking the long arm down the firing pin hole and turning the short arm. Maybe I don't know my own strength, but I shouldn't be able to overtighten it just using my fingers.

That could be the problem. It's not that you are overtightening it, it's that you are not tightening it enough. SVI has a torque specification (although I don't know exactly what it is at the moment) for that allen bolt, and you couldn't even begin to tighten it enough by hand (with the short end of an allen wrench) to reach the specs.

Being a mechanic most of my life, I used the feel method.... With a bit of blue loctite on the threads, slip about a 3 inch long tube over the short end of the wrench (to gain some leverage) and tighten 'er till you hear a little "creek" sound. You might want to have a spare laying around before attempting this technique.

Seriously, I used the removable breechface for a couple years with nary a problem.

be

I love the thing. And not because I could change calibers, but only because, once a year or so, I can install a new breechface (in a few minutes) to return the headspace to dead-nuts-on without having a gunsmith weld and regrind the barrel's hood. The replaceable breechface turns a nightmare into a cakewalk.

Brian,

Thanks for the tip. Replacing a worn breechface is why I went ahead with the removable breechface. Well that and the fitted slide/barrel/frame kit certificate I won :rolleyes:

I guess folks really do go to the races to watch the car wrecks! The web stats for Kaboom are 4 times any other video on the site!

I looked the gun over yesterday and it looks like the only real damage (besides the cleaning bill for my underwear!) is the broken screw and a bent firing pin.

I sent this thread to Sandy Strayer of SVI. His response:

The breechface sets in a "pocket" facing the chamber of

the barrel. The natural forces of chambering / firing keep

the breechface pushed into the pocket. It logically can then

be understood that the screw is unstressed during operation.

Its only function is to keep the breechface from falling out of the pocket

forward when a round is

not being chambered or is not chambered. Over tightening is the only way

the screw can break. The screws are manufactured from a

premium stainless that is fully heat treated for maximum performance

when changing breechfaces / calibers. This makes the internal

hex a very rugged structure that will not easily be stripped out.

The front face of the head of the screw is tapered to match a locking

angle in the slide for a "tapered seat" self locking screw system.

The use of loctite will keep the threads sealed from powder residue,

dirt and oil, providing more reliable overall operation of the breechface.

SV has thousands of interchangeable breechface slides / guns in

service and has a near perfect service / performance record.

Thanks,

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...