Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

little screw that holds slide racker keeps coming loose

ironb

I've noticed that after I'm done shooting for the day, the little screw that keeps the slide racker on is loose. i dont really want to put any locktite on it as i have to take the screw out to remove the slide racker to clean the gun. any suggestions?

loctite blue. It is called service removeable. Not as strong as threadlocker, but will keep your screw from vibrating out. Still allows you to pull the screw out when you need to.

Randy

I have a ball detent on my 9mm open gun. The

last two matches it started flying off during the

stages. The gun is one year old. I put in a new

allen screw and put a punch hole in the top of the

slide next to the ball detent-and a small drop of

blue locktite- :cheers:

I'm a little confused, probaly cause there ain't no pictures. My racker has a detent ball. What I don't understand is how you remove the the racker if it's loctited or shoo-glued in. I have to remove mine for disassembly.

I use clear nail polish. I have for about a year. It has done the trick.

Boz; we are using different compounds to basicaly gum up the threads a little. The screw is still easily removed, but it won't shoot loose.

I have had the same issue and just tossed the slide racker in a box on the loading bench. This saves a lot of time looking in the dirt for it at the range.

I like the detent ball Idea will ask my smith about that. On my very lite gun no slide racker, they add to slide weight, but my old school tank of a gun ok on that one.

If you just now discovered the racker issue, have you check the screws in your C-More mount and your grip screws. My limited guns never fall apart but I learned with time to loctite even the grip screws on my open gun. By the end of a match the gun was litterally falling apart. After a few thousand rounds my Comp also got lose, so it got a health dose of 620 loctite and hasn't moved since. Having your C-More fall off the gun in a middle of a stage isn't pleasant.

Open guns take a real beating, loctite everything, if you think you will never need to take it off red, else blue.

I use a set screw that's cupped at the tip. digs into the slide and hasn't come loose at all. no loctite or any adhesive what so ever. There are other types of set screws that have better holding power but what I use works just fine.

All Bedell open guns ship with the Sidewinder slide racker ball and detent affixed to the slide. It never gets loose, but is easily removeable by just pulling it out to the left. That is why Boz's works so well. Brad, Dan can do this mod to your factory gun, but your custom gun will already have this feature built in when you get it.

Boz; we are using different compounds to basicaly gum up the threads a little. The screw is still easily removed, but it won't shoot loose.

I also put that on my C-More screws... to keep them from working loose, both on the mount and the C-More itself. When you want to remove it I just take a blade and scratch around the screws which breaks the polish.

Works well...

JT

Edited by JThompson

I also put that on my C-More screws... to keep them from working loose, both on the mount and the C-More itself. When you want to remove it I just take a blade and scratch around the screws which breaks the polish.

Works well...

JT

Yeah, but then you have to explain why you have nail ploish in your range bag= not a good thing with the people I shoot with. I can just imagine the issues that would cause. I have a hard enough time being able to quiet the peanut gallery when I make ready as it is.

Go easy with the loctite though. I had a friend who was learing how to tear down her top end (of the gun :roflol: ) She got a little carried away with the loctite on the racker screws and loctited the slide shut. :surprise:

Edited by Lee King

Thanks for all the input. I'll talk to Johnny about it when he gets back from the phillipines. I like the idea of a detent ball more than blue loctite. I'm worried the blue loctite will seep into the top of the slide and cause issues with the firing pin. (you can see the firing pin and spring clearly through the hole for the slide racker screw)