Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perishable skills

Man, what a horrible day shooting. I haven't shot my Limited gun in a match since January of 08 and did it show today.

The first stage I couldn't hit a popper to save my ass. I was looking at the targets and when the fiber optic got in the way, bam, I let her fly.......wrong move. After a stage or two I actually did start to use the sights(plural).

I knew I had a mag problem and worked on it the the other day but apparently I have another mag that needs some attention. I had round pop straight up vertically and the slide embedded the round on the bottom of the fed ramp. After all mags were on the ground I finally got the round dislodged from the ramp. Damn it was ugly.

Ok, despite all that, we had a great match with some new shooting friends, and I did shoot a few really good stages.

No matter what, shooting a match is always fun, today taught me that. :cheers:

All things considered, I thought you did pretty well. I still think a good trick for red-dot shooters transitioning back to irons is to change the fiber optic to green so it doesn't make your mind think it's your Open gun.

Part of what made we want an Open gun is I heard it will make you faster in Limited. I guess we'll see. Your results seem to dispute that.

I did get to shoot an Open gun today for grins. It was an all steel stage. I shot the stage in 37 seconds with my Limited gun. It only took 24 seconds with the Open pistol :cheers: And I've never shot one before!!

Open is cool :cheers:

Open gunners :angry2:

Welcome back to real shooting, glad you got the training wheels off yer blaster

But you see what happened when he removed the training wheels......CRASH!!!!! Next time you plan on doing something like this just go ahead and write my name down in your squad....I HATE when I miss opportunities like this :angry2:

I am shooting Limited at the Nationals, so today was a great learning day. I just didn't know it was feel like getting beat up in a bar fight. A little practice and some equipment repair, things should get better. B)

*We* already "repaired" your equipment for you...why do you think it "functioned" like that?!?

You still smoked enough runs to make us C and D shooters wonder why we can't do that.

Tommy and I had a great time. Thank y'all for helping us around. You guys (and girls) put on a great match.

Part of what made we want an Open gun is I heard it will make you faster in Limited. I guess we'll see. Your results seem to dispute that.

That is what I've heard manny Master leve shooter say as well. I'm now puzzled. I guess it may take a while to see the progress in iron sights.

That is what I've heard manny Master leve shooter say as well. I'm now puzzled. I guess it may take a while to see the progress in iron sights.

I think that will be the case, it's just you can't go as long as I did without shooting conventional sights.

I HATE when I miss opportunities like this :angry2:

Tommy did have his camera phone out for the stage with two Texas Stars, one with a NoShoot perched on top...........

Where shall we start the bidding??

Just tell Tommy to name his price.......Great shooting with you guys :cheers: Tommy is a great kid and I know your very proud. He'll be kicking our butts soon enough, so hold him back as much as possible.. :roflol:

Boz,

While I know it's was frustating, there may be one thing you can do to avoid that in the future. If your local club(s) will let you shoot a second classifier at your matches, do that every chance you get. Just shooting the classifier with an iron sighted gun will keep the skill from completely going away and after a while the transition from one to the other almost disappears. I don't have to think about the sight issue now, but it takes me a few rounds to get my timing right from the different recoil impulse....but that doesn't take long. R,

Edited to avoid discussions in violation of the rules :)

Edited by G-ManBart

I think that will be the case, it's just you can't go as long as I did without shooting conventional sights.

You generally cannot just pick up the other gun and jam away with it - the sighting system is completely different. A little dry fire goes a long way. If you're going to use an FO front sight, think about using a different color than your dot. And... you have to practice a little bit of pulling focus back to the front sight. Once you re-aquaint yourself with the sighting system, you're back in business...

Otherwise... ;)

You generally cannot just pick up the other gun and jam away with it - the sighting system is completely different. A little dry fire goes a long way. If you're going to use an FO front sight, think about using a different color than your dot. And... you have to practice a little bit of pulling focus back to the front sight. Once you re-aquaint yourself with the sighting system, you're back in business...

Otherwise... ;)

You see, Dave is a brilliant man. The idea of changing the color of your fiber is outstanding!

(Where have I heard that before? :P )

Al jokes aside, BOZ did pretty well today.

I always felt like I learned a ton when I switched divisions.

To all the points, it takes a little time to change gears. That's just part of it.

But what I always liked was I had to learn what I had to see to get things done. Which meant I was paying attention to what I was seeing. In the long run that can only benefit the shooting.

Couple of side notes. I do believe that switching constantly can be challenging. I've tried to shoot one gun, one division etc. for several months - or even a season - without too much switching. All games (production, limited, open, revo etc) take finess and have their own personalities. So I try to stick with one thing for a good while.

With that said, I learned a ton switching from open to limited. And then, to my great surprise, I was actually a much better open shooter when I switched back. All because of the learnings from shooting limited. Now I plug along in production and am learning a ton here. I suspect if I pick up the limited blaster anytime soon I'll realize the lessons from production will benefit that game too.

Have fun!

Jack

Once I went to a green fiber most of my transition from Open to Limited problems went away. Green means you have to LOOK at the sights, not just get red in the middle and whack the trigger. The only thing left is real recoil and timing out the gun, watching the front sight takes care of that too if you really pay attention to it. The recoil of a Limited gun is surprising coming for Open, damn gun really jumps LOL. From Open to Limited with a red or orange fiber in the front sight? Like a fat kid in a candy store with a pocket full of quarters to quote my friend Darryl, I am an absolute disaster. I shot A3 a couple years ago with a red fiber as my second match back to Limited, the times were good......

Otherwise... ;)

You see, Dave is a brilliant man. The idea of changing the color of your fiber is outstanding!

Alright, alright, green fiber it is...

When I came back into the game from my 6 year hiatus, I bought an STI Trojan and shot L10. It came with a Dawson FO front sight w/ red fiber. Even then, after six years, I still had the "shoot with red in the A-zone" impulse. Personally, I don' shoot well w/ FO sights anyway, so I just sight blacked it out. The "whack the trigger when red is in the brown with target focus" thing went away after that... :lol:

When I came back into the game from my 6 year hiatus, I bought an STI Trojan and shot L10. It came with a Dawson FO front sight w/ red fiber. Even then, after six years, I still had the "shoot with red in the A-zone" impulse. Personally, I don' shoot well w/ FO sights anyway, so I just sight blacked it out. The "whack the trigger when red is in the brown with target focus" thing went away after that... :lol:

That would be nice if I had younger eyes, but fiber optic is pretty much required now.

That would be nice if I had younger eyes, but fiber optic is pretty much required now.

Yeah, I think the answer is just change colors on the FOs... Well, that's part of the answer, anyway :D

Otherwise... ;)

Alright, alright, green fiber it is...

OR, just get rid of that Fiber "Crutch" all together and cover the fiber with some black tape, and shoot "REAL" iron sights.

Mark K.

Once I went to a green fiber most of my transition from Open to Limited problems went away. Green means you have to LOOK at the sights, not just get red in the middle and whack the trigger. The only thing left is real recoil and timing out the gun, watching the front sight takes care of that too if you really pay attention to it. The recoil of a Limited gun is surprising coming for Open, damn gun really jumps LOL. From Open to Limited with a red or orange fiber in the front sight? Like a fat kid in a candy store with a pocket full of quarters to quote my friend Darryl, I am an absolute disaster. I shot A3 a couple years ago with a red fiber as my second match back to Limited, the times were good......

That is a good analagie, I like the bull in a china shop one for you also.