Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheating the chrono

wide45

before the chono, he sneaks off like the reptile that he is and OILS HIS BARREL,

That's a 10.6 unless he oils up before every stage. See appendix C2 item 32.

Item 48. will be used by a savy chrono crew, when presented with an oily gun, and they are not convinced of intent to cheat.

:(

I do not see how cleaning the barrel could be considered firearm or component modification. I can't believe a RO would even consider 10.6 - this is not realistic.

Oil in fact could decrease PF, as it could create a film along the barrel, decreasing the barrel diameter for a very tiny fraction of a inch. The difference more likely would be discarded since the the PF calculation is truncated to whole integer (eg. 164.99 PF becomes 164 PF). You can clean and lube your barrel as many times you want during the match, before and after the match.

Since it was to win a side bet and not try to squeek major, I don't see it as a big deal. If he oiled up to make 1 over PF, then there's a problem. In this case he was just trying to take someones money...

How do the RO's at the chrono know that he's just playing a game? I have not done much testing on a pistol, but oil that runs down a rifle barrel and into the chamber can be catastrophic and in some case even fatal. Not something I'd want to "bet" on.

Since it was to win a side bet and not try to squeek major, I don't see it as a big deal. If he oiled up to make 1 over PF, then there's a problem. In this case he was just trying to take someones money...

Notice I did not post it in that thread. <_<

Just trying to raise the awareness. :closedeyes:

Hmmm. Never heard of this. Does it really work :)

Actually, it does. I won't claim it's safe.

I do not see how cleaning the barrel could be considered firearm or component modification. I can't believe a RO would even consider 10.6 - this is not realistic.

Oil in fact could decrease PF, as it could create a film along the barrel, decreasing the barrel diameter for a very tiny fraction of a inch. The difference more likely would be discarded since the the PF calculation is truncated to whole integer (eg. 164.99 PF becomes 164 PF). You can clean and lube your barrel as many times you want during the match, before and after the match.

We aren't talking about cleaning the barrel. Simply oiling the inside of the barrel for the purpose of increasing the velocity of the next few rounds.

Edited by wide45

Actually, it does.

We aren't talking about cleaning the barrel. Simply oiling the inside of the barrel for the purpose of increasing the velocity of the next few rounds.

Same thing, part of the same process. No one can tells whether or not someone that puts oil in the barrel is not cleaning it - no RO will be able to sustain it.

Actually, it does.

Same thing, part of the same process. No one can tells whether or not someone that puts oil in the barrel is not cleaning it - no RO will be able to sustain it.

I did not say anything about proof. I said it was cheating.

Now I'm curious... How much does it really increase velocity? The Multi Club IDPA match we shot this weekend chrono'ed my old faithful 200 SWC load at 910 for the average on 3 shots. Would the oil take me from 181 PF to 182? Hmmmm.

This might bear looking into. :)

Maybe we should intitute a check for this before chrono'ing at majors. How would we test for fresh oil in the barrel? If we pull a patched jag into the barrel and hang the gun upside down......Never mind. :) :) :)

Maybe we should intitute a check for this before chrono'ing at majors. How would we test for fresh oil in the barrel? If we pull a patched jag into the barrel and hang the gun upside down......Never mind. :) :) :)

:goof::goof: BWAAAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!! Now THATS funny!!

The item Rich quoted was put into the rules to specifically counter the practice of oiling the barrel prior to chrono. It's been done at Nationals, and believe me, the chrono officer does check. Here's what it says:

48. At the command of the Chrono Officer, the competitor may be required to

fire up to six rounds into a designated target or spot on the berm/backstop

prior to the competitor’s ammunition sample being tested through the

chronograph.

This is to remove any additional oil that may be there. Sad to say, chrono has had to ask a number of competitors to do this over the years. Not lately, though, which is a good thing.

Troy

I did not say anything about proof. I said it was cheating.

and the shooter should be DQ under 10.6, right? :surprise:

Cheating? Cliff was the only Revo GM in a field of mostly B's, C's & D's, most of whom were delighted to be put on his squad. He was going to win Revolver HOA unless he fell down & stayed down. Even after deliberately tanking 2 stages in an attempt to win a few side bets, he was 30 match points ahead at the end of the match. He was playing. The "testimony" that he oiled the barrel is anecdotal. No one knows if he was serious. Of course, it was Cliff, so the chances that he was serious are pretty slim. Without digging through 200 + chrono slips, I think his power factor was in the mid 180's. I am certain with or without additional oil in the barrel, he made major. And I'm still not convinced the oil story was not an elaborate hoax on his squad mates.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 SC State Match Statistician

Thanks Linda for that insight.

It's agreed that someone willfully trying to beat the chrono by oiling their barrel is a major offense. However, this discussion started out as a joke in another thread, was raised here with no attempt to generalize the subject, and has gotten overly personal to the point of questioning the integrity of someone without true cause.

CLOSED.