Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger LCP

Calmwater

I got one recently. Biggest problem is that I have no 380 ammo available. It's an accurate little gun, and really handy to carry. If you have a big maw like I do it will bite when you shoot it, but that's not anything unexpected for gun of this type.

I have one. I had put about 100 rounds through it before the recall. The gun came back with a smoother trigger and an extra mag. I carry it in a pocket holster ALL the time. My biggest issue is the sights or lack thereof. These 55 year old eyes just can't see them very well. I'm surprised at how well it shoots. A young friend of mine had no trouble hitting 8" plates at 25 yards.

I've got one and love it. I would never choose it as my primary carry, but it works great as a lawn-mowing gun, UC gun, on duty backup gun, etc.

I've had mine about three months and never had any issues.

I have one and I carry it a lot. It really seems to like Magtech 77gr. SCHP. I have 62 year old eyes and have trouble seeing the top of the slide let alone what little sights it has!!!!!!!!!

FWIW

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This gun serves its purpose. But, it is not a shooter. It is kind of brutal to shoot for fun.

My friend has one, while she will use it as her primary CW gun, she hates shooting it, for her the recoil is not at all tolerable for a day at the range. I have a nearly 30 year old AMT Back Up in 380 that (IMHO) compares pretty favorably with the Ruger, excepting the weight. That is my summer time carry gun, you know the shorts and tee shirt gun.

This gun serves its purpose. But, it is not a shooter. It is kind of brutal to shoot for fun.

My friend has one, while she will use it as her primary CW gun, she hates shooting it, for her the recoil is not at all tolerable for a day at the range. I have a nearly 30 year old AMT Back Up in 380 that (IMHO) compares pretty favorably with the Ruger, excepting the weight. That is my summer time carry gun, you know the shorts and tee shirt gun.

If $ isn't a big problem she might consider trying a Kahr PM9 or the new P380. My wife is quite petite (5'2" and 105lbs with very small hands) and loves her PM9 and it's only very slightly bigger than the LCP. That said once she puts about 100 rounds through it she's ready to shoot something bigger. Mas just did a writeup on the P380 and claims it's easily the most shootable of all the pocket .380s he's tried.

The grip on the LCP is just small enough that I wouldn't want to put too many rounds through it in one session, but I think guns like call for frequent practice if not high round counts. My wife works on basics and "fun" with bigger guns and then shoots her carry guns (both fairly small) enough to still be comfortable with them for their intended purpose. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Great little gun, mine is plenty accurate for defense. I don't think the recoil is that bad given what it's made for, I put 100 rounds down mine the other day and wasn't regretting it.

I carry mine all the time, very compact, slips in any pocket. Can't say that for my G19 or 23.

Might sell my PM9, it seems that if I need a small gun the LCP gets the call, if I've got clothes to carry something bigger than the 19/23 would come along.

Jason

I should have added a statement to my earlier post stating the Magtech 77 grainers are a whole lot easier to shoot (less recoil than any other ammo I've tried!) and a lot easier to group with (for me).

FWIW

Richard

Mines awesome, have a little kydex pocket holster for it.

I have shot a lot of ammo through it trying to find something thats..... tolerable. Most brands are very snappy and a few shots leaves your hand kinda tingly.

Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain bullets are very controllable, and not quite so punishing. And the work as advertised, they do expand nicely in water jugs and meat, wrapped in clothing (I got bored one day...... :rolleyes: ). Try the Hornadys.

It is what it is. a $300 polymer .380.... and even if it is a copy of a Kel-Tec, it seems made a little more nicely. Some Kel-Tecs I've shot can tend to be ammo sensitive, but the LCP has fed everything I put through it.

Edited by sfinney

I have one. Actually, currently Ruger has it as it's in for the upgrade. Everyone I've let fire this gun has commented on how brutal it is to shoot, and how it "pounds the web of their hand." Just the size and shape of my hand, I guess, but I don't find it a particularly brutal hand pounder. What it DOES do to me is smack the living hell out of the underside of my trigger finger in recoil. Again, just the size and shape of my hand, and how that relates to really hard kicking guns; when I shot a .454 Casull it did the same thing.

I love how everyone I've ever talked to about this gun has referred to it the exact same way: "Like a Kel-Tec....only well-made." :lol:

Well, much to my surprise, a local gun shop not only has the LCP, they have more than one, and several other .380's including the new (to me) Micro Eagle from Magnum Research (which is built like a tank and is extremely heavy).

After getting a chance to handle all of them, I bought the LCP. It seemed to be the best combination of small size and good fit and finish. I just got back from the range after shooting a box of Fiocchi FMJ's. I must say that I was able to find a point of aim (more correctly a point of point) fairly quickly and was getting decent accuracy from 20' to 50'. As for being a hand pounder - it may be worse with defensive ammo but with the stuff I was shooting, it wasn't bad at all.

Now comes the real challenge, finding ammo.

• 1 month later...

Wife has one for her purse.

Some factory loads are pretty hot, others not so bad.

I reload, 2.8 grains of W231 with with 95 grain MG and it's a powder puff.

Loaded up to 3.1 grains and they bite a little.

• 11 months later...

I have one on the way that will trade for my KelTec PF9. As much as I like my PF9 it falls in the same size category of my j-frame, I like my little revo better, and I want a real pocket gun.

Hope it works...

I bought an LCP about a year ago. I'm 56 years old so the "sights" and I use that term loosely, were of little help. For me the gun pointed well and hit where I looked out to 10-12 yards. I have since put a Crimson Trace laser on the gun and carry it in a kydex holster from "Aholster". The setup carry's well and I can run the plate rack at 20. The key is that I feel comfortable carrying it anywhere. No regret's on this purchase.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought one to replace my kahr 380 that had issues. The LCP printed very nice groups, hits exactly on point-of-aim. The trigger took getting used to, but is non-issue now (is just a long double like pull). Very happy with it, reliable so far and a fun shooter. Bought a spare, it works just as well, shoots to point of aim, both amaze me with they're accuracy (even at 25 yards). The magazine finger extension makes all the difference in the world for me (size 12 hands). Without it, I could hardly keep the pistol in my hand, prettymuch fumbled follow-ups. Good to go with the grip extension!

Edited by rc2125

• 2 months later...