Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low Carb, High Protein Snack??

Bill Nesbitt

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Try the One Way Bar from Designer Whey Protein.

1. It has 30 grams of protein (awesome!)

2. It has 29 grams of carbs (of which only 12 grams come from sugar - awesome!)

3. It takes like a Snickers bar (totally awesome!!!!)

You can find them at Trader Joe's, or at other retailers. Here's their website:

http://www.onewaybar.com/

Don't be distracted by the goofy website, it's a great meal replacement/supplement. If you shop around on the web you can find them at a really good price.

Rich

I like the EAS carb control bars the one I'm looking at is chocolate cream pie.

26 g of protein 3 impact carbs 220 calories

I have tried alot of different one's and the EAS bar taste the least like cardboard.

or beef jerkey, small bag of nuts, or the one alot of atkin's people do pork rind's

Bob

I second the jerky and nuts mentioned above.

But the secret weapon in my arsenal is peanut burtter, no jelly, it will stick with me and keep my sugar level like no other source. High protien and mostly good fat ( it has some hydrogenated stuff too, but hey thats what makes it taste good ain't it? )

Whole wheat bread, and a pound of peanut butter. Thats a meal not a sandwich.

Travis F.

All you guys and gals are lots more into fitness than I am. If you eat breakfast and take some water, is it going to kill yu if you don't have a meal B4 the last stage is done. I have never found it absolutely necessary to have anything except some water and a piece of fruit or two.

What am I missing here?

I haven't been able to average out the results yet, but I'm thinking a Snickers bar after stage one at a local match may help me make "C" Production.

At a big match a cool source of energy boost would be great.

Big Dave gave me some "goop" this summer on a 110 degree day when I was RO'ing. Really worked, I was amazed.

Goop works really well, for keeping energy levels up, but that takes some choking down.

Try a variety of the protein, meal replacement bars and you'll do alright. EAS is always good, MetRx is alright. I mentioned the Designer Whey protein bars (specifically One Way) but there are others too.

Maintaining good body sugar levels through a match (especially in warm or humid months) will tremendously affect your results. Low blood sugar will affect your ability to focus on simple tasks, adjust to complex and/or dynamic situations, and break down fundamental mechanics.

Fruit is generally not a good source for maintaining these as they quickly immerse into the system, but, depending on the size and piece of fruit (and this is where it gets really complex with glycogen levels and glycemic index) it can benefit. Enough of a middle of the road answer for you. If fruit is what you want to do, bananas, apples, nectarines, etc. Chop them into 'bite' size pieces and chew thoroughly. And, you can never go wrong with water.

All you guys and gals are lots more into fitness than I am. If you eat breakfast and take some water, is it going to kill yu if you don't have a meal B4 the last stage is done. I have never found it absolutely necessary to have anything except some water and a piece of fruit or two.

What am I missing here?

Tightloop,

If your sugar levels stay where you want them to between meals, you ain't missing a thing. ( and I'm jealous. )

Low blood sugar is like Lycanthrope ( without the hair ) for me, but then I'm hypoglycemic. Others have less of a reaction, loss of mental acuity , lack of energy, shakiness , and generally feeling like sjht are average symptoms of low blood sugar.

In more severe cases, like I said , Lycanthrope. I't ain't pretty.

Travis F.

For the match yesterday, I just carried some chicken loaf in a baggie in the side pouch of my shooting bag between 2 bottles of water. I just grabbed a slice of that whenever I felt a little hungry. Sure tasted better than cardboard. :lol:

For hotter weather and longer matches I think I will find a way to carry something like roast beef. Of course I won't be able to leave it in the bag for weeks. :lol:

Bill Nesbitt

You might think I'm nuts, but I'd put a small jar of peanut butter. Looking at the lable (Jiff), per serving (2 TBS), there are only 7 gr of Carbs (of which 2 are sugars, cool!!!) and 8 gr of protien, and 16 gr of Fat (3 of which is saturated). A little sweet, a little salty. Lots of good sterols (blocks adsorbtion of bad cholesterol). It would keep forever. Some plastic disposable spoons and you're good to go.

There are also many organic or natural peanut butters that do away with the processed sugars and other gobeldygook. Never tried them though.

• 10 months later...

Myoplex meal replacement bars (I recall the best is like Cookies 'n' Cream).

Somewhere around 30-40g of protein and less than 20 carbohydrates, 270 calories. Perfect for a 4-6 hour day of shooting as a mid match snack.

To the Protein Plus bars from PowerBar are outstanding!

Rich

What am I missing here?

well, I'm not a big fan of the atkins diet, so I'll post some of the reasons I snack through a match.

1) hydration. your gut can only absorb about 1 liter of water an hour. mxing your water with something solid keeps the water in your system longer. In cold months this is less important. In summer, since I help set up and tear down, it's vital to keeping me from keeling over. If I don't do this, I can go through abotu a gallon of water at a match and still start feeling dehydrated before the end of teardown.

2) food coma. If I eat anything other than a token breakfast, since about age 20 (i.e. roughly about when I stopped growing like a weed and needing 3000+ calories a day), I feel sluggish all morning. Not only does this impede helping out, it negatively affects score.

3) low blood sugar. Since our club matches start early, I'm basically running on empty to avoid the above issue. Snacking keeps me at the alert level without reaching that post-linch naptime feeling. In the colder months, It's a snack after setup to give me something to burn after lots of lugging stuff, and a snack before teardown to give me something to burn during all that lugging of stuff.

Walmart carries a peanut butter snack in a tube - similar looking to those go-gurt things. It has more sugar in it than natural peanut butter but not enough to impact if used as a snack for a day or two. Peanut Butter has a nice side effect too since you drink more water to wash it down. Since you can rip the top and squeeze it out into your mouth, no worries about eating the lead off your hands!

I had forgotten all about this thread. :D

My solution was sausage links. B) Sue fries them up till they are a little crisp. We carry them in the side of the shooting bag along with the water bottles. I perform better if I can keep from getting hungry. ;) Especially at an all day match.

Thanks for all the answers.

Bill Nesbitt

• 3 weeks later...

My supermarket carries EAS bars on sale for .99 cents each but then but they're usually $1.35. My wife buys those Kelllog's breakfast bars that cost about .45 cents each. I compared the nutritional proflie and found them to be almost exactly the same for carbs, fat , protein, and calories. My point is that most of these supplements that are sold in conjuction with diet plans are a marketing scam waste of money.

I think a shooting match is a pretty low calorie endevour but if yur convinced that your burning up muscle glycogen then a Snicker's bar, believe it or not, will do the trick.