Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have to tell you guys this, because my wife doesn’t care

chbrow10

I have to tell you guys this, because my wife doesn't care, and my shooting partner (my 10 year old son) doesn't get how cool this is.

I am a D shooter, I've been shooting USPSA for about 9 months. We went to the 2009 Mississippi Classic last weekend. We had a blast and are already looking forward to going next year.

My goal (not expectation) for this match was to be the high D shooter in Single Stack. Unfortunately, I was the only D shooter, so I had automatically achieved my goal by showing up. ;-) I went through the match doing the best that I could, "seeing what I needed to see" and "making the most important shot the one that I was firing at that moment". I knew my plan, and was relatively relaxed during the stages. I did my best to have "visual patience" waiting for the sight picture. Of course, on some really close ones, you could use an Enos "Type 2" focus and not really need a sight picture and still get two alphas. I always shot for all alphas, trying to get 95% of the available points for each stage.

So how did all this work out for me? I ended up beating all the C shooters. The top C shooter was right below me. The irony is that the score on the classifier I shot at this match will give me a C classification. I finished 9th out of 14. One two stages, I placed 6th out of 14, and there were two Masters, an A shooter, and 2 B shooters in Single Stack. I am doing all this with a $420 Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 clone, with very little mods, not even sights. All my reloads were on a Lee turret press.

On one stage, they forgot to paste a bullet hole from the previous shooter (it was raining and they had the plastic bags over the targets, which made it hard to see the holes). The RO gave me the option to reshoot, and because I had called all my shots, I knew I got my hits, so I declined the option to reshoot. Turns out I had only one Charlie and the rest alphas on that stage.

Now I am really a firm believer in all the stuff in the Beyond Fundamentals book by BE. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is serious about improving their game. It has certainly helped mine. Of course, I've got a long way to go, and am looking forward to all the fun I'll have getting there.

Chris

A-62757

Edited by chbrow10

Sounds excellent. I have tried to coach new shooters to a win with this exact plan. Keep it up. You could actually win D at the Nationals doing the same thing.

The only problem is the "optional" reshoot. It should have been a reshoot or not.

Now I am really a firm believer in all the stuff in the Beyond Fundamentals book by BE. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is serious about improving their game. It has certainly helped mine. Of course, I’ve got a long way to go, and am looking forward to all the fun I’ll have getting there.

Chris

A-62757

Way to go Chris. Keep it up.

I too had a similar experience at the Mississippi Classic. My epiphany was "let it flow, don't force it". And that's just what I did. It worked pretty well for me too. Congrats on a great match!

Congrats. Since you already beat all the C's its time to move up, congrats again.

What is that Tobey Keith Song, I want to talk about Me!

I use to fight the wife to go to matches, Now she works weekends Freedom!

I read the book some of it made sense, I still can't meditate or visualize the stage but I'm working on it.

Going to TX Open Champ next week the goal is no negative points!

One more thing shooting single stack is the hardest class, I have one I'm trying to master it. Wanna share your load data?

One more thing shooting single stack is the hardest class, I have one I'm trying to master it. Wanna share your load data?

First step in mastering it is realizing it doesn't have anything to do with "load data". :)

Is there any online copy of that "Beyond Fundamentals" book by BE, where I can view read this? I'm cheap but would like to read about it. :)

If you're cheap, buy the book. It will be the cheapest thing you'll ever buy to improve your shooting and one of, if not the most, effective.

The book is totally worth it. When you read it, you have to have an open mind. It isn't a mechanics book, it is a mental book. I've read it twice already, and will surely read it at least 10 more times. If there was a way to memorize it, I would.

• 5 months later...