Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Does USPSA's website seem so heartless?

Boyd

Guys,

For the last several years, I've been doing a slow burn over how bored USPSA leaderhship seems to be with National Championships. A few days ago, Rob Leatham, the greatest shooter to ever live, won his 15th Single Stack Championship. This should be the centerpiece of the USPsA website, but one has to be "in the know" to even know where to look. In these days of instant web updates, the USPSA site is a disgrace.

It's like the leaderhip is going through the motions and no longer really cares about this sport with has been a passion for so many for a long time.

At one of my last USPSA chamionships banquets, the "president", could not tell the difference between Tarren Butler and Merle Eddington on sight. A lot of time was spent on handing out commemorative knives, however.

I guess I'm sorry that Robbie's 15th SS championship isn't worth mention on the main page.

I called headquarters a few years ago and was told that they didn't have match results from the early Nationals archived. They recommended that I check with Lenny McGill to see how things turned out.

As I get older, I get more sentimental. I wish USPSA was the same......

-MB A11012

For a new shooter it maybe great, but I see what you mean things haven't change really that much in the 4yrs that I have been a member. they could have some more updated photos, and videos, congradulatory remarks for certain individuals. Updates etc. Someone who has a passion for the sport ought to be in charge of the website to give it some pazazzzzz.

2cents

pk

At one of my last USPSA chamionships banquets, the "president", could not tell the difference between Tarren Butler and Merle Eddington on sight.

Who is Tarren ?

I am pretty sure the current Prez knows Taran Butler pretty well and has no trouble telling him from Merle Eddington.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the website...

USPSA Nationals are our premier event and should be covered well. It is a big deal to win Nationals. To win a major Championship 15 times in a row is ASTOUNDING/INSANE/CRAZY/STUPENDOUS etc. etc.

I have said elsewhere on these forums that we need to promote our Nationals, it should be like an annual world-shoot with a bumper edition of Front Sight to cover all aspects of the match, and all the FS articles posted on the web as well. We should make a big deal out of it, if we don't it will become an irrelevance.

But everyone needs to do their part. We can all volunteer to cover the matches and get the photos, we have Area matches happening through the year in addition to our Nationals, but it's too much for one person to cover. USPSA needs volunteers.

At one of my last USPSA chamionships banquets, the "president", could not tell the difference between Tarren Butler and Merle Eddington on sight.

Who is Tarren ?

I am pretty sure the current Prez knows Taran Butler pretty well and has no trouble telling him from Merle Eddington.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the website...

Sorry on the name misspell. This was pre-Prez Voigt on the shooter identification thing. I guess my point is that when a championship is no longer a BIG deal, things fade. I believe the website should really tout these great acomplishments.

-mb

"It's like the leaderhip is going through the motions and no longer really cares about this sport with has been a passion for so many for a long time."

Agreed....

"I called headquarters a few years ago and was told that they didn't have match results from the early Nationals archived. They recommended that I check with Lenny McGill to see how things turned out."

Kinda like asking MLB who won the 1979 World Series and being told "I don't know"....

"As I get older, I get more sentimental. I wish USPSA was the same......"

No sport progresses without embracing its past, honoring its heroes, and shamelessly promoting itself. They do much of this very well...except the webpage and "talking up" its National Championships.

I sent a "color corrected" version of that terrible blue photo of the STI people along to the webmaster in the hopes it would be used. It was ignored... all that needed done was to saveit over the old. That should take all but about 10 secs. As an old photographer the image is hard to look at. The website should be a showcase for what we do... it clearly is not. I sent the corrected image in weeks ago. It's very 80s and should be completely renovated and updated with news. 9-10 times the news is old here before it's posted there. The only time I go to the site is to upload scores or check on uploads. It could be so much more with some effort.

I'd vote whatever money needed, and if we need another person then hire them.

Back to the guidelines though... Ya'll know that this is outside the forum rules right? :devil:

That said, I believe a little nudge in the right direction.. can be a good thing. No other place has so many shooters reading; the USPSA forums are a ghost town. BE has become the defacto forum for USPSA...

This forum could be a great tool to make feelings known without really "bashing" anyone. And being public... makes it high profile. The problem is someone goes over and the thread gets closed and burried, and you know it will happen, if not already.

Edited by JThompson

---snip---I think this could be a great tool to make feelings known without really "bashing" anyone. The problem is someone goes over and the thread gets closed and burried, and you know it will happen, if not already.'

JT,

I hear what you are saying but since only the people who run USPSA are the ones that do things, you can't just bash things w/o bashing people. Leave it go. Unless, of course, you have issues with that stapler in the third drawer on the right :rolleyes:

JMHO,

Chuck

---snip---I think this could be a great tool to make feelings known without really "bashing" anyone. The problem is someone goes over and the thread gets closed and burried, and you know it will happen, if not already.'

JT,

I hear what you are saying but since only the people who run USPSA are the ones that do things, you can't just bash things w/o bashing people. Leave it go. Unless, of course, you have issues with that stapler in the third drawer on the right :rolleyes:

JMHO,

Chuck

I agree with what you are saying Chuck, but it can be done.

Check it:

Joe Poster,

I would like to see more current info on the USPSA website. They could use more pictures and video and may be update the site look. How about an interview with Robbie on his 15th in a row? May be put some awards ceremony video of the match and awards up. I couldn't be there, but sure would have liked to seen/heard what Robbie said. Hell, I'd be happy to do that one. :) I'm sure if they ask for help from the membership for writing articles pertaining to equipment, ranges, shooters etc they would get many people tp step up. How about we do an article called "Up and Comers" we could talk to young shooters who show talent and ones that are just breaking into the top range. Get an interview with Ben, BJ, etc... Get on the horn and call up some junior shooters like Nick Santiago (hope I speleed that right Nick :)) Call up some Super Seniors... and ask about shooting after 60. I bet they would have us rolling in the aisles. Ask them about all sorts of stuff... how thier shooting has changed, what they think about the direction of the sport. Ask them to tell story's of the old school shooters... a lot of us newer people only know of these guys/ladies from what we hear in BS settings after the match, or here.

I have no doubt there are many web designers and photo/video people who would be willing to donate if formally asked. I know they have a couple of people for Front Site, but the web is right now right here and where breaking news should be shared. Some is some isn't. There are a ton of people here that would step up and write stuff up. Do some fun stuff like ask if there is a cartoonist/artist in the house to do some funny little cartoons stuff like in the paper, but geared toward shooting. Put up some dryfire drills and stuff like that. More "tips from GMs" type stuff. The list goes on and on....

You can do it without bashing people, but it would have to be done with restraint and tact.

Best

JT

Edited by JThompson

I was at the SS Nationals this year and was very surprised that they only gave plaques or awards or mentioned only the top two in each class.

They gave a bunch of guns to the master class shooters and then only acknowledged the first two places in M, A, B, C, D. Everyone was shooting ss class. At state matches you get three places in each class in each division. How much is a plaque in relation to the $200 fee? Add an extra $5 to each fee and give out plaques to 1 thru 5 in a one division only nationals match. It seemed to me that ss nationals was not any different than a state match.

JT,

JMHO,

Chuck

Check it:

Joe Poster,

I would like to see more current info on the USPSA website. They could use more pictures and video and may be update the site look. How about an interview with Robbie on his 15th in a row? May be put some awards ceremony video of the match and awards up. I could be there, but sure would have liked to seen/heard what Robbie said. Hell, I'd be happy to do that one. :) I'm sure if they ask for help from the membership for writing articles pertaining to equipment, ranges, shooters etc. How about we do an article called "Up and Comers" we could talk to young shooters who show talent and ones that are just breaking into the top range. Get an interveiw with Ben, BJ, etc... Get on the horn and call up some junior shooters like Nick Santiago (hope I speleed that right Nick :)) Hell, call up some Super Seniors... and ask about shooting after 60. I bet they would have us rolling in the isles. Ask them about all sorts of stuff... how there shooting has changed, the direction of the sport. Ask them to tell story's of the old school shooters... a lot of us newer people only know of these guys/ladies from what we hear in BS settings after the match, or here. T

I have no doubt there are many web designers and photo/video people who would be willing to donate if asked formally. I know they have a couple of people for Front Site, but the web is right now right here and where breaking news should be shared. Some is some isn't. There are a ton of people here that would step up and write stuff up. Do some fun stuff like ask if there is a cartoonist/artist in the house to do some funny little cartoons stuff like in the paper, but geared toward shooting. Put up some dryfire drills and stuff like that. More "tips from GMs" type stuff. The list goes on and on....

You can do it without bashing people, but it would have to be done with restraint and tact.

Best

JT

Isn't there plenty of fluff in front sight magazine which is really where it belongs? Why add more to the web? I like the format of the USPSA web as it is now. I can find what I need with a minimum of searching and wading through stuff that I don't have the time to read.

Actually, If you really want to make your feelings known to those who can make a difference, send email directly to the people who run the organisation. They are very receptive to input from members. Posts like this are more like a soap box.

Edited by larry cazes

JT,

JMHO,

Chuck

Check it:

Joe Poster,

I would like to see more current info on the USPSA website. They could use more pictures and video and may be update the site look. How about an interview with Robbie on his 15th in a row? May be put some awards ceremony video of the match and awards up. I could be there, but sure would have liked to seen/heard what Robbie said. Hell, I'd be happy to do that one. :) I'm sure if they ask for help from the membership for writing articles pertaining to equipment, ranges, shooters etc. How about we do an article called "Up and Comers" we could talk to young shooters who show talent and ones that are just breaking into the top range. Get an interveiw with Ben, BJ, etc... Get on the horn and call up some junior shooters like Nick Santiago (hope I speleed that right Nick :)) Hell, call up some Super Seniors... and ask about shooting after 60. I bet they would have us rolling in the isles. Ask them about all sorts of stuff... how there shooting has changed, the direction of the sport. Ask them to tell story's of the old school shooters... a lot of us newer people only know of these guys/ladies from what we hear in BS settings after the match, or here. T

I have no doubt there are many web designers and photo/video people who would be willing to donate if asked formally. I know they have a couple of people for Front Site, but the web is right now right here and where breaking news should be shared. Some is some isn't. There are a ton of people here that would step up and write stuff up. Do some fun stuff like ask if there is a cartoonist/artist in the house to do some funny little cartoons stuff like in the paper, but geared toward shooting. Put up some dryfire drills and stuff like that. More "tips from GMs" type stuff. The list goes on and on....

Best

JT

Isn't there plenty of fluff in front sight magazine which is really where it belongs? Why add more to the web? I like the format of the USPSA web as it is now. I can find what I need with a minimum of searching and wading through stuff that I don't have the time to read.

Actually, If you really want to make your feelings known to those who can make a difference, send email directly to the people who run the organisation. They are very receptive to input from members. Posts like this are more like a soap box.

My mistake.... everything is perfect... carry on.

I totally agree with you Jim.

Posts like this are more like a soap box.

Why is that? Because it is constructive criticism that makes pretty damn good sense? If you think that is in the same vein as bashing people, well, I really don't know what else to say to you.

BTW...I don't really consider that fluff - considering that the shooters are the heart of the organization.

FYI

Headquarters is in the process of a complete revamp of the USPSA webpage. It is a long process for reasons I am too computer illiterate to really comment on. I believe it has a lot to do with the format of the old page and making it compatable and work with the new stuff.

There has also been a lot of emphasis on press releases to major media outlets. That is a press release that is shown on the Nationals page about Robbie. It went out to all the major media outlets thanks to the efforts of Paul Erhardt.

FYI

Headquarters is in the process of a complete revamp of the USPSA webpage. It is a long process for reasons I am too computer illiterate to really comment on. I believe it has a lot to do with the format of the old page and making it compatable and work with the new stuff.

There has also been a lot of emphasis on press releases to major media outlets. That is a press release that is shown on the Nationals page about Robbie. It went out to all the major media outlets thanks to the efforts of Paul Erhardt.

I'm surprised Kyle and 2 moderators offered their opinion but left this thread open. While it's not in the "What I hate" forum, I thought for sure it would fall under this rule:

Rants involving shooters, firearms, or shooting related manufacturers, such as but not limited to - IPSC, IDPA, USPSA, Colt, Brownell's, Dillon, or Match Staff - are NOT PERMITTED

Edited because the Impact font was all but unreadable.

Edited by sperman

Criticism is welcome, especially when it's about a problem we are already working on addressing :)

USPSA has engaged the services of a professional graphics and web designer to work with myself and USPSA staff on an overhaul of the USPSA web site. When it's done, we'll have a completely new look, but will preserve all essential functionality (classification lookup, membership renewals, match schedule, match results, USPSA store, nroi ruling database,etc.). The underlying structure will make more of the content database driven, so that USPSA staff will be able to update content on a regular basis without editing the HTML.

Looking at the Steel Challenge:

We already have the system to post SC results in place. Once we have a reasonable database of results, we'll put a "statistics and standings" system in place so competitors can see how they rank against competitors throughout the US. All existing scores submitted with SCSA member numbers will "count" towards the standings, so affiliated clubs will be getting something for their money - but, it will be much more obvious once we have the statistics system in place.

A bit of background....

Dave Thomas summoned several members of the USPSA staff, Paul Erhardt, Bruce Gary, myself and the web design consultant to Sedro last year to kick off the planning for this new project. Dave spends USPSA money *very* carefully, so the mere fact that he did this underscores exactly how important he considers this project.

Criticism is welcome, especially when it's about a problem we are already working on addressing :)

USPSA has engaged the services of a professional graphics and web designer to work with myself and USPSA staff on an overhaul of the USPSA web site. When it's done, we'll have a completely new look, but will preserve all essential functionality (classification lookup, membership renewals, match schedule, match results, USPSA store, nroi ruling database,etc.). The underlying structure will make more of the content database driven, so that USPSA staff will be able to update content on a regular basis without editing the HTML.

Looking at the Steel Challenge:

We already have the system to post SC results in place. Once we have a reasonable database of results, we'll put a "statistics and standings" system in place so competitors can see how they rank against competitors throughout the US. All existing scores submitted with SCSA member numbers will "count" towards the standings, so affiliated clubs will be getting something for their money - but, it will be much more obvious once we have the statistics system in place.

A bit of background....

Dave Thomas summoned several members of the USPSA staff, Paul Erhardt, Bruce Gary, myself and the web design consultant to Sedro last year to kick off the planning for this new project. Dave spends USPSA money *very* carefully, so the mere fact that he did this underscores exactly how important he considers this project.

Sounds good Rob... it appears as though Dave and I are of the same mind. I'm excited to see what you guys come up with. Is there any sort of time table on this Rob?

JT

I totally agree with you Jim.
Posts like this are more like a soap box.

Why is that? Because it is constructive criticism that makes pretty damn good sense? If you think that is in the same vein as bashing people, well, I really don't know what else to say to you.

BTW...I don't really consider that fluff - considering that the shooters are the heart of the organization.

The thread speaks for itself. I think criticism is better directed to the right people then broadcast to the world. PM me if you'd like to discuss it further.

USPSA Nationals are our premier event and should be covered well. It is a big deal to win Nationals. To win a major Championship 15 times in a row is ASTOUNDING/INSANE/CRAZY/STUPENDOUS etc. etc.

I have said elsewhere on these forums that we need to promote our Nationals, it should be like an annual world-shoot with a bumper edition of Front Sight to cover all aspects of the match, and all the FS articles posted on the web as well. We should make a big deal out of it, if we don't it will become an irrelevance.

But everyone needs to do their part. We can all volunteer to cover the matches and get the photos, we have Area matches happening through the year in addition to our Nationals, but it's too much for one person to cover. USPSA needs volunteers.

Yeah, well,

I sent e-mails to Sedro to volunteer for the Nationals in any capacity.

I got no reply. Not even a no thank you. <_<

My suggestion is to take the negative energy in this thread and turn it into something possitive. For example, if you have heartburn over something that the organization did/didn't do right spell it out and also provide possible solutions. There's a huge audience listening in and willing to provide instant feedback here on the forum.

Yeah, well,

Hmmmm. I thought I was the only one who "I got no reply. Not even a no thank you"

Yeah, well,

That's because the staff for the Nationals has not yet been chosen. Putting on a match of that size requires a tremendous amount of work and time and, as they are all volunteers, they'll get to it as soon as they can. They are no slouches and, because they are themselves in the same boat, they are ever mindful of the limitations put on people's time. The match administrators are currently reviewing applications and will send notices shortly to the staff chosen to work, as well as those who will not be chosen. Everyone who applied WILL get a personalized message back. It just may not come as quick as you would like it to.

As to the comments about the web, I will echo the statements by Rob and Chris. We are aware of the "dated" look of the web, particularly with all the advancements in technology. To that end we are all hard at work on a revamp. I've seen early screen shots and I must say I am personally excited about the direction we're headed. Of course, there will be those who won't like the changes and will mourn the loss of the comfortable space they've come to know so well over the years, but we can't please everyone and we feel the changes are necessary to the development of the organization.

While we have an excellent webmaster who works extremely hard for the organization and a new designer with a fresh outlook, we don't have a full-time website "updater". We are moving towards having content like that, but it takes time to get there and we want to make sure we're doing it right, not fast.

I will close by encouraging any of you with valid input on the design of the website, features you feel we're missing, etc, to email me and I'll personally ensure those comments get to the right people charged with this redesign. We won't, of course, be able to meet everyone's needs and wants, but we'd be more than happy to hear your ideas. Perhaps we can meet in the middle.

Thanks,

Kim Williams

USPSA Office Manager

kim[at]uspsa[dot]org

Thanks Kim. FWIW, I got my annual letter asking if I'd like to RO at the Nat's, and while I'm not this year, I think if folks want to get said letter, they should attend a RO class and start RO'ing Sectional, Area and National matches.

Rich