Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pricing on the new 627 38 supers

Rogan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

or 625 for all in limited revo class... kinda.... i got a super first with the thought i could do icore and uspsa and wound up getting a 625 end of last year for uspsa stuff. or you can just shoot the 8 shot in everything and be in the open uspsa class.

Scott

So let me get this straight, the wheel gun guys are planning to shoot an 8 shot revolver "chambered" for .38 Super (not Super Comp), but actually shoot 9mm Para rounds captured in moon clips and only zipping out at minor PF.

So if I have that right, in USPSA competitions, they can load up all 8, but only shoot 6 in the revolver division. So that means after a run through a stage there's going to be lots of moonclips with 2 live rounds and 6 empties still stuck in them. If you really intended to shoot all 8 rounds, you could shoot production. Is that right? If in production, does that mean all the moonclip holders have to be behind your weak side hip? :wacko:

In a way, I am thinking this is similar to minor PF'ed guns vs. major PF'ed guns in the single stack division. If I have it right, if you shoot a 9mm 1911 in single stack, you can start out at 10+1. But if you shoot a .40 or .45 1911 at major PF, then you are stuck with just 8+1. maybe I am making the wrong analogy here :wacko::roflol: maybe I have that bass ackwards now.

In USPSA it's about shooting it in production and L-10, beating guys to whom it doesn't make sense. ;)

Edited by cas

In USPSA it's about shooting it in production and L-10, beating guys to whom it doesn't make sense. ;)

You can shoot Limited too, but you're at a huge capacity disadvantage plus having to shoot minor being sub .40 cal. And there's always Open, the only class's you can shoot major are Open and Revolver.

• 2 weeks later...

:surprise:

Ive got one of the 627-4 in un fired condition when I got it, I did a bunch of work for a customer

for the gun, Its a fun gun to shoot, but paying advertised price for one of these things would

chap my butt, Performance center hmmph :P, I dont see anything these folks (S&W) did

that is special, Id have sleepless nights if I did any kind of pistol like these folks do and

charge the price they get for em.

Id rather see them sell a super cut for moon clips like the pro series.

Ive bought several revolvers since I decided to shoot them and with help from Mike C's :bow:

advise and some others tricks and tricks,I think I have some nice guns to play with but I sure did a lot of work to them,

Im really looking forward to shooting the 3 day match Mike is putting on, hope we all have

a bucket full of fun with our worked over and over S&W.

Jim/Pa

Saailors :devil::roflol::blink:

I've read all the posts, but I'm a bit confused. It sounds like these 627's in 38 super will also shoot 9mm with the same moon clips? Can someone please confirm this?????

If they really will shoot 9mm without any modification then I want one!

-Cuz.

some will shoot 9mm with no modification and some will not. you have to try each individual gun. the moon clips for super dont fit the 9mm well but they fit. Hearthco has clips for 9mm that are best. all supers can be made to shoot the 9mm easily, minor work on the extractor is all thats required as far as i know. 9 mm bullets in .355 diameter do not group well, you will have to load 9mm cases with .3560-.358 depending on your gun.

Scott

The 627-4 .38 Super can be made to function OK with some types of 9mm ammo--usually the extractor star needs to be relieved. Rob Leatham discovered this when he wanted to shoot Winchester factory ammo at the IRC a couple years ago. It was discussed here at length at the time. Unfortunately, it appears this modification does not produce acceptable accuracy with 9mm ammo, much less the 115-gr. generic ammo which (once upon a time) was cheap and readily available.

I modified the extractor on mine and shot a couple matches using WWB 9mm ammo. It functioned decently, but I can't really say it created any particular advantage. The original idea was to have something to shoot if you were (1) all out of ammo on the morning of the match but had enough time to swing through Wal-Mart; or (2) flew in somewhere to shoot a match but had your "excess" ammo taken by the gate agent. In other words, more of an emergency option than anything else.

Thanks Carmoney,

That makes me feel a whole lot better about the 627-5 I just acquired in .357 mag. I will forget about shooting 9mm Revo for now and possibly consider going the .38 short route.

-Cuz

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, that gun looks suspicious to me. Looks like it's been all flitzed up by some stroker.

That's the same seller that got $1700 something for his last one a few weeks ago. I guess he figured he could get even more if he shined it up. :wacko:

I don't see the point of shooting minor revolver in USPSA.

Is it really worth it?

No, these are for ICORE and steel. 8-shots, that is, there can be an argument made for shooting a minor 6-shot in USPSA, same as in L10 or Limited or Open.

H.

I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about shooting MINOR at most of the matches that I go to (I can load my 646 cheaper than the 25/626 s)

Plus, A certain 2 Louisiana shooters and I have really talked about this subject and have decided that except maybe USPSA nationals and a few certain other matches there will be no benefit of major over minor. Except the less wear and tear on the hand.

A 627 would fit this, and USPSA production, and L-10, and Limited (to really P!ss them off) :devil:

Now, the price ????

Not gonna be cheap..............my guess 1.2k

Hop

My issue with it is that I can't split the gun any faster with minor loads, so there's no advantage other than comfort. That's not to say that Jerry didn't beat me like a drum at A6 shooting minor, but I don't think it works for me.

H.

Seller describes it a in new and unfired condition. In the close up photo looking down cylinder holes, looks like lead marks inside.

I spoke with the Dealer (Seller) early this morning and he assured me that it has been test-fired only

and comes with the Case and all original items as shipped from the Factory, so I bought it at $999.00 ...

I'm kinda surprised no one else bid on it, but I'm happy to NOW be the owner of (3) of these little gems.

If you check his GunBroker Feedback he has impeccable credentials ...

Edited by AultGM

Yeah, that gun looks suspicious to me. Looks like it's been all flitzed up by some stroker.

I haven't heard anything about the new ones becoming available yet. I don't think they're done.

Nope, no new 627 Supers yet...

Seller describes it a in new and unfired condition. In the close up photo looking down cylinder holes, looks like lead marks inside.

I spoke with the Dealer (Seller) early this morning and he assured me that it has been test-fired only

and comes with the Case and all original items as shipped from the Factory, so I bought it at $999.00 ...

I'm kinda surprised no one else bid on it, but I'm happy to NOW be the owner of (3) of these little gems.

If you check his GunBroker Feedback he has impeccable credentials ...

Well, I'd say the likely reason you got it for that price is that the collectors aren't interested because it's obviously been polished bright, the original grips have been changed out, etc., etc. On the other hand, it should be just fine for a shooter, at a price that is pretty good considering the current market, so I don't think you made a bad deal at all.

Well, I'd say the likely reason you got it for that price is that the collectors aren't interested because it's obviously been polished bright, the original grips have been changed out, etc., etc. On the other hand, it should be just fine for a shooter, at a price that is pretty good considering the current market, so I don't think you made a bad deal at all.

Actually, I believe I got it for that price because many folks were scared off by the bad Ju-Ju put forth in this thread

concerning this particular gun and seller ... all unfounded, I am certain.

Anyway, it will soon be topped with a C-more and a fresh custom made comp for ICORE Open Class and Steel Challenge.

P.S. - I suspect you are correct about it being a good shooter even though it is polished on the outside ... When it comes to firearms, and I mean ANY firearm, it's what you can't see that counts ...

Edited by AultGM

Actually, I believe I got it for that price because many folks were scared off by the bad Ju-Ju put forth in this thread concerning this particular gun and seller ... all unfounded, I am certain.

No charge! :D

Is it really worth it?

Depends if you shoot all Alphas. Josh Lentz shot at the IRC a coule of weeks back with his .4o cal revolver finishing 4th in stock. He was at VA/MD Sectional last weekend and shot minor there and unofficially he won. I would love to see him shoot minor at Area 8 against some of the Wheelgunners on this forum just to see how much he gives up shooting minor.

Is it really worth it?

Depends if you shoot all Alphas. Josh Lentz shot at the IRC a coule of weeks back with his .4o cal revolver finishing 4th in stock. He was at VA/MD Sectional last weekend and shot minor there and unofficially he won. I would love to see him shoot minor at Area 8 against some of the Wheelgunners on this forum just to see how much he gives up shooting minor.

I go along with Mike here. Depends on your strengths and stage design. A lot of upper A B's (head shots on the USPSA target) would be a real bear. But a lot of steel or tight shots at distances may be helpful. I shoot minor all of the time. I don't like the punishments my joints take with major. Just old I quess. later rdd