Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Loafers

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What, if anything, can you do with the loafers on your squad who don't patch, don't set steel, and more often than not have to be called to the line to shoot??

To be perfectly honest we either don't have many (any?) or I'm to busy pasting, resetting to notice.

Maybe start by informing them what's expected. Sometimes (not always) people just don't know, particulary in the case of new shooters.

If after being educated they are still not contributing...........different issue altogether.

FY42385

Dont paste or reset the steel when it is their turn to shoot.

As score keeper I have used the technique of calling out names, as in Bobs the next shooter, george is on deck, bill and tom paste. after Bob shoots he goes on the bottom and becomes the next paster.

Edited by Joe4d

How about turning around from running a shooter and telling them to get off their keesters and work. I'm a fairly go lucky guy but you work on my squad. New shooters get informed, regulars get the WTH look. I usually get a "DOH" as they are just talking and not paying attention. Newer shooters need reminding usually. Around here if you know better but still don't work you tend to get out cast as nobody wants you on their squads.

Dont paste or reset the steel when it is thier turn to shoot.

Absolutely +1.

People like that are noticed after a few stages. Unless there is some real issue with the shooter physically theres no reason why they shouldnt help. Competitors with medical ailments usually realize this is an issue for them and contribute helping in another way (paint steel, past the closer targets, etc.). They also usually announce they have a problem before we even start the match, though they still contribute. Saying something to the CRO on the next stage as a group will usually remedy the problem. As Joe4d previously stated Ive seen that done before at a major match. H!

After a shooter finish I normally shout TAPERS!!! If not enough people came a reminder will be made before the next shooter. This gets everybody going.

Um Norbs.. I don't know that I've ever heard you shout that? ;)

I try to do SOMETHING but even find that I can be lackadaisical.. could be all the other things I do in the background (website, treasurer, etc) that kind of make up for it..

After a shooter finish I normally shout TAPERS!!! If not enough people came a reminder will be made before the next shooter. This gets everybody going.

Um Norbs.. I don't know that I've ever heard you shout that? ;)

I try to do SOMETHING but even find that I can be lackadaisical.. could be all the other things I do in the background (website, treasurer, etc) that kind of make up for it..

Come squad with us and you'll surely hear me when our group starts slacking. You know how our squad gets sometimes; but they're getting better. :rolleyes:

I have been to a range where the persons in the hole and deep hole (in the shooting order) must paste and set steel or they shoot last at the next stage and set/paste prior to their own turn. :surprise:

Everyone knew what to expect up front, never saw anyone fail to participate and have to set their own stage.

Rennie.

I got told to sit down once because I was taping too much and not enough other people were. I still couldn't stop though.

Mostly new people.

I don't hate loafers I just know that I am better than that.

Most of the loafers also have their taping abilities reflected in their shooting too.

Usually the next shooter shouldnt paste, he should be in general vicinity of start position, finalizing mind and gear, so he is ready as soon as the range is clear and RO is ready. The hole point of multi pasters is to keep the match moving efficiently. Often what happens is when the workers end up with the score board, the shooter and the on deck shooter, that's when it becomes apparrent that the rest arnt taping.

Unless I'm squadded with a bunch of them, I usually ignore them. The group I usually shoot with are generally standing at the target waiting for the scorepad to come around. But I have been know to tear off a strip of pasters for each shooter in the squad and hand them to them. You don't have to say anything.

fwiw

dj

Usually the next shooter shouldnt paste, he should be in general vicinity of start position, finalizing mind and gear, so he is ready as soon as the range is clear and RO is ready. The hole point of multi pasters is to keep the match moving efficiently. Often what happens is when the workers end up with the score board, the shooter and the on deck shooter, that's when it becomes apparrent that the rest arnt taping.

Agreed. I've got no issue with the guy on deck getting his mojo working just before he shoots. I've got no issue with the guy who just finished shooting following the scorekeeper, then charging his mags for the next stage.

• 1 month later...

Definitely annoying especially the veterans that loaf. I usually hand them a box of pasters after a couple of stages when I know they are well rested.

Heck, the Pros paste the loafers just need a kick in the tail.