Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone - Must have apps...?

• 3 months later...

Been awhile since anyone's been here. With iOS4, the new must-have is iBooks! Why? I installed it, then imported the USPSA pdf rulebook into iTunes and synched to my devices. Now I've got the rulebook on my iPhone and iPod without having to connect to anything.

Been awhile since anyone's been here. With iOS4, the new must-have is iBooks! Why? I installed it, then imported the USPSA pdf rulebook into iTunes and synched to my devices. Now I've got the rulebook on my iPhone and iPod without having to connect to anything.

Ahhh, Thanks for this one....cheers.gif

I wanted that upgrade but its not valid on my 1st generation iTouch. Thinking about an iPad anyway, for travel/matches etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info everyone. I use probably use redlaser the most: it's free and allows you to scan barcodes on almost any product. it also searches for best prices online or nearest to you. I use it to check if sale prices are a good deal or not. The spanish dictionary is a must for me as well for those words that i've forgotten or are on the tip of my tongue.The IMDB app is also good for those tip of the tongue moments. There's also a free shakespeare app that is good for waiting rooms, etc...

Has anyone else had a problem with the surefire app not always picking up rimfire? I use a marvel conversion for practice and have not had luck with the surefire app. I just downloaded the taurus app, but I will not be able to test it out for a couple of weeks due to the rain. Is it any better?

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread... What are the current 'must have' shooter apps for iPhone 4? Is the Surefire timer still the best one out there? It doesn't look like it's been updated in a couple of years.

The Surefire timer will not work on iPhone4. From what I've been able to find out, due to changes in hardware, none of the shot timers work on iPhone4.

• 1 month later...
iConvert, ... WeatherBug Elite, Surefire shot timer, google earth, Pandora, Shazam, Constitution, Declaration, urbanspoon.

I've got these.... and use most of them (don't really use Google Earth). What's iSiesmo? Can't seem to find it? Units is a decent free converter app, but lacks currency conversions...

I need one for picture messages

iPhone 3.0 software will include support for MMS... ;) Plus cut-and-paste, etc. In the meantime, while we're waiting on it, there are a couple of apps out there, but I haven't used them...

I also use Dictionaire, Facebook, Twitterific, LDAP Directory, MissingCalc (for computer geeks...), Sol Free, Moonlight lite, Yelp, Light, Skype, Flixster. I bought Shopper - which is an outstanding shopping list application (not just for groceries... it can do just about anything...)

The parking apps are "Take Me To My Car" and "iCarPark" - the latter being a $.99, fuller featured version of the former... Just downloaded the free one ;) Also, there's G-park, and probably a couple of others...

I'm always looking for useable little toys....

Thanks, I'll be trying out the parking app.

• 1 month later...

Reviving an old thread... What are the current 'must have' shooter apps for iPhone 4? Is the Surefire timer still the best one out there? It doesn't look like it's been updated in a couple of years.

They need to make the start button twice the size.

High noon

Its a western dueling game, its free, you can duel others and challenge them to the "hollywood" style duels. No sneaking up behind them while playing poker :P

You actually have to put your phone down as you were holstering and when the ding goes off you draw. Add me if you guys get it

High noon id:277675041

If you like to see live music, and especially if you wondering what music you might be able to see while traveling, this is the most brilliant, most amaziing app ever:

http://www.songkick.com/

It looks for shows not only where you live, but near whatever location you program it to, based on the artists in your iTunes library. (That's just one thing it does.)

be

If you like to see live music, and especially if you wondering what music you might be able to see while traveling, this is the most brilliant, most amaziing app ever:

http://www.songkick.com/

It looks for shows not only where you live, but near whatever location you program it to, based on the artists in your iTunes library. (That's just one thing it does.)

be

That is very cool. Going to Nashville tomorrow and "sample the local color" . This app will be nice!

• 3 months later...

pardon the necro-post, but I have had this iPhone since May, and I downloaded my first app tonight...Pandora.

I have my iPhone hooked into what would normally be my computer's speaker system.

SSSSUUUUUWWHHEEEETTT!!!!! :cheers:

It's cool being able to listen to static-free radio while I work around the house. :D

Goto the website? To get a iOS upgrade, you usually sync your iPhone to iTunes and he usually prompts you there to do the update.

After installing iOS5, any future updates will (are supposed to be) available directly to your device wirelessly as delta updates. (That is, update only the components that were changed, not download and reinstall the entire operating system.)

I didn't, but what happens is that the system first backs up your phone, then installs the software, then resets your phone back to factory settings (which is when everything disappears), and then lastly restores everything from the backup. Lot's of people are thinking the process is finished when it isn't and are unplugging early.

I didn't, but what happens is that the system first backs up your phone, then installs the software, then resets your phone back to factory settings (which is when everything disappears), and then lastly restores everything from the backup. Lot's of people are thinking the process is finished when it isn't and are unplugging early.

That's how it's supposed to work. It doesn't necessarily, more so with iOS 5 than in previous iterations. Hardware upgrades were less slick than usual as well.

I use dropbox to sync files to my phone ( rulebooks) though I guess I need signal to look them up... I'll have to try iBooks

Anyone have a free offline maps app they use? I normally just use the built in google map for directions, but it sucks when it lags to download the map during times of low/no signal...

AngryBirds is fun.

For shooting apps, how about "PracticeDeck", online copy of Dave Re's USPSA playing card practice deck. Looks pretty cool, though I havn't had a chance to use it yet.