Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aimpoint knock offs

Harmon

I am not so sure it is a good idea. A friend of mine got one for his AR, very similar to the one you are referring to. He was never able to zero it. It just didn't zero.

Needless to say, he ended up getting a real Aimpoint.

I wouldn't put one on my open gun, but I would get one for my AR, 22 pistol, 22 rifle, or carbine.

I MIGHT try one of the new Bushnell Trophy micro style sights on a race gun.

Products that do the same thing tend to resemble each other even if they are developed independently or old ideas are improved.

However to go to great pains to make a product appear identical is dishonest. I am sure the importer's lawyers managed to skirt U.S. laws but it dosent change the fact it is slimey and dishonest. Neither does the fact Vortes websight sticks US flags everywhere to trick people. There is no mention on the Votex websight about where the sight is made, which to me translates to China, a place I have no interest in sending any money. Especially through a dishonorable company.

Thread drift.....just for discussion.

I didn't see a single flag on Vortex website with the exception of the flag indicating there US offices.

Claims made by manufacturers as to where their product is produced, manufactured, assembled, etc. tend to be misleading at best....check out this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...t=14&page=1

Edited by smokshwn

• 2 weeks later...

I have a buddy on this forum as a matter of fact that has the Vortex. He used it at the last Tac-rifle match we had and he did really well. The sight stayed zeroed through at least the 200+ rounds of .223 he shot that day.

The only problem I see with the sight is the fact that the dot is not all that bright. I would say on the Vortex's Highest setting, it was about 1/3 of the brightest on my Comp ML2. Seeing as we shoot in bright sun "sometimes" ok just once per year here in the great "Northwet" it may washout on the targets.

However, I too am curious about the Aimpoint Micro Clones. I was thinking of putting one on my AR with .22 conversion. But after seeing the Vortex, I am concerned about the dot brightness.

I was curious about these scopes too. The Micro knock-off would be cool on a .22 pistol. I was wondering about dot brightness, as I had heard many of them were dim. I bought a DR sight replica and you can hardly see the dot outside at all. Inside on an airgun would be all that one would be good for.

Not too long ago a forum member posted a thread because he noticed someone at a match trying to sell a open gun sight mount that they had made. This forum member recognized the mount as a copy of a mount invented by another forum member. The whole BE community was up in arms about this travesty. All wishing fire and brimstone down upon the head of this interloper who dared produce this copy. Wanted posters were printed, flyers sent out, dead or alive notices disseminated. (Ok I exaggerated the last sentence.) My point being some of these same people that were so outraged are now discussing Aimpoint knock offs as viable options.

So when is it ok to steal someone else's design and when should we be outraged ? When is it ok to buy one of these stolen designs and when should we warn everyone about the stolen design ?

Not too long ago a forum member posted a thread because he noticed someone at a match trying to sell a open gun sight mount that they had made. This forum member recognized the mount as a copy of a mount invented by another forum member. The whole BE community was up in arms about this travesty. All wishing fire and brimstone down upon the head of this interloper who dared produce this copy. Wanted posters were printed, flyers sent out, dead or alive notices disseminated. (Ok I exaggerated the last sentence.) My point being some of these same people that were so outraged are now discussing Aimpoint knock offs as viable options.

So when is it ok to steal someone else's design and when should we be outraged ? When is it ok to buy one of these stolen designs and when should we warn everyone about the stolen design ?

At what point does it transition from a 'unique design' that is being copied/stolen to an industry standard form factor that is universally acceptable?

Optic form factors are very ubiquitous. No one complains that Simmons stole the shape of Leupold's scopes, or did they? They don't complain that Burris stole their red-dot design from Tasco, or did they? How about JPoint and Doctor, aren't they Tasco knockoffs?

Truth be told, Intelectual Property laws are very clear on what is 'stolen' and what is not. The poor home inventor not withstanding, usually those laws are successful in protecting a companies interest.

I don't think that the little micro sized scopes are illegal, and are therefore not stolen. However, if they steal the circuit boad design, or the optic coating techniques, or any other feature that is patented or copywrited or trademarked, then it is theft.

If I need a Ferrari, I'll pay for an Aimpoint, cause they make some of the best stuff. But I'm not going to when a Ford or Mazda will work the same for me.

Just food for thought, not meant in an argumentative tone.

Theft - The unlawful appropriation of property without the effective consent of the owner with the intent to deprive the owner the use of the property.

its not theft, its just not ethical.

if its been patented its a civil matter.

back on topic. what would be the highest quality aimpoint knockoff?

Harmon

Harmon

OK, sorry about that...

The guys on ar15.com have said a lot of good things about the one from Primary Arms. However, I'd seriously consider the new one from Bushnell. $144 from opticsplanet.com. A friend bought their holosight for his AR and is very happy with the value proposisiton.

Edit: nice thing about it over the Aimpoint, is that you can mount it on the left side at 90 degrees. Close the the slide, but away from the ejeciton port. Should be easy to make a mount for it.

http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescope...phy_73-1303.cfm

http://www.opticsplanet.net/printable-bush...dot-731303.html

Edited by Jeff686

Theft - The unlawful appropriation of property without the effective consent of the owner with the intent to deprive the owner the use of the property.

Harmon

Harmon, not quite sure where this thread is headed. Is this search for an Aimpoint replacement driven by cost savings only? Are there other aspects of the Aimpoints that don't fit your needs? I am a BIG user of Aimpoints on both handguns and rifles. If cost is the issue, why not just buy one of the many used Aimpoint sights out there? No flame...Just wondering.

Harmon

Harmon, not quite sure where this thread is headed. Is this search for an Aimpoint replacement driven by cost savings only? Are there other aspects of the Aimpoints that don't fit your needs? I am a BIG user of Aimpoints on both handguns and rifles. If cost is the issue, why not just buy one of the many used Aimpoint sights out there? No flame...Just wondering.

The used Aimpoints that I see are very nearly as much money as a new one. Where do you find a reasonable price on one?