Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest or no thumb rest?

ironb

I've read through some previous posts and I've seen a couple that suggest going without a thumb rest; however it looks like a lot of people use 'em. Can I get some opinions on this? I've been thinking about putting one on my gun.

NO THUMB REST. My Limited gun doesnt have one, and I shoot that thing almost as fast as I do my open gun. I want my Limited gun & my open gun to be setup so darn close to each other that the only differences are the comp, dot, and the caliber.

In other words, I dont need it. Recoil is not an issue for me. To each his own though.

I like them, but I could live without them. Hey, the world champ uses one right? Can't be all bad ;)

I usually shoot the classifier in a second division...either Lim, SS or Prod and I don't notice the lack of one bothering me when I switch guns. R,

Try one, the Arredondo mount is resonably priced. Use it only as a place to rest your thumb, do not try to control recoil with the thumb. You will end up driving the gun with the thumb and like Bill suggested accuracy will suffer.

I think it's ok when used as a reference point but not ok when used to control recoil as it makes the dot behave funny and follow up shots during double taps can be skewed with too much pressure applied to the rest. I have also found most conventional thumb rests to be in the wrong place and too high. I make Susan's thumb rests and they allow her to "cant her wrist forward" for a better natural grip promoting better recoil management.

I tried one... and it is now for sale.

Although I think it feels good, and a nice reference point for my thumb, my accuracy suffered greatly, and that is not an area I have enough to give up. It is now gone with the wind.

None for me, makes the dot track more to the right in recoil. Also makes it a lot easier to push the sights off target.

Yup. I was pushing shots high right. Pulled it off and sold it to Bobby.

Edited by JThompson

Yeah I thought the one you had was the Arredondo, but it was the Rescomp. It's in the tool box now as it forced the support hand to be at a bad angle, almost verticle. The thumb rest she currently uses comes out of one of the screw holes, so it is lower than other thumb rests on the market. It promotes a better support hand grip angle and allows the canted wrist.

I bought one from Rene at speed shooters; My grip sort of sucks, so I'll play around with it and we'll see how it works out. I'm hoping it'll get my thumb in the right place at least.

I had a rescomp but had to cut the bottom of it off to remove the slide stop. I now have a Double Alpha adjustable and I like it. Lots of adjustment so it fits your grip, instead of your grip having to fit it.

DAA_Rest.bmp

I was in a safety zone at the world shoot in Ecuador when Todd Jarret asked to have a look at my gun. (It was an Infinity open gun built on a 7 inch dust cover with a thumb rest) Todd advised me that with a thumb rest you can tend to push and fight the gun and not let it recoil naturally. When I returned home I removed the thumb rest. I originally did not like the way the gun handled but persisted and learnt to shoot without it. That was over 3 years ago and I WOULD NOT go back to shooting with a rest. The feel of the gun is so much better as I dont feel that I am completely locked into the gun and I am shooting much more accurately.

I use a thumb rest. I like them, it locks my left hand into the gun. It doesn't seem to affect the way the dot tracks and I do push down on the rest hard enough to make it flex (arredondo). Different techniques work for different shooters, give one a try, you might like it, you might not, but you won't know until you try

Made a huge difference for me... faster, better control, better accuracy. All the top guys (Masters, As) at my previous club used them. Like most things in this sport, I think it depends on the individual and all the variables of his/her style of shooting.

Sure recommend anyone interested give it a try, rather than relying only on comments. I, too, had people of great experience and stature speak against thumbrests. In the end, they said: "If it works for you, it works." It works for me. Your results may vary.

Made a huge difference for me... faster, better control, better accuracy. All the top guys (Masters, As) at my previous club used them. Like most things in this sport, I think it depends on the individual and all the variables of his/her style of shooting.

Sure recommend anyone interested give it a try, rather than relying only on comments. I, too, had people of great experience and stature speak against thumbrests. In the end, they said: "If it works for you, it works." It works for me. Your results may vary.

yup, I'm going to give it a try with the double alpha. i'll report back. thanks for everyone's input.

I like my rescomp thumbrest. No irregular dot movement and I have no issues switching to my Limited gun except of course the bump on the back of the slide. :surprise:

I wound up ordering a rescomp as well (tried to change it to double alpha, but I was too late). It should be here tomorrow, so I'll try it at the range and see if it helps or hurts.

Recently had one installed and shot two matches with it already. First time didn't make too much difference as I hardly notice it was there. Started dry firing with my other open gun without a rest and that's when I noticed the difference. Second match is when I started being conscious about it; it does put my finger consistently on the same spot and the way my thumb presses on the gun it doesn't push down on the thumb rest. Still too early to say for sure if I like it or not.

Edited by norbs007

*Disclaimer: I really have no idea, I've only shot one open match in my life. I just like to post.

I'm on-board with the "if it works for you" go for it, but i'd rather not risk accuracy. I know that if you dont have one, and you can't remember where to place your thumb... then you need to dryfire a lot more! :lol::roflol:

If/when I get an open gun, it will not have a rest. Build neuro-kinetic memory with hundreds of thousands of dryfire reps, you wont forget where your thumb goes. And if you think you need it to control recoil, then shoot a few matches in single stack.

Try one, the Arredondo mount is resonably priced. Use it only as a place to rest your thumb, do not try to control recoil with the thumb. You will end up driving the gun with the thumb and like Bill suggested accuracy will suffer.

That's right. I have two rescomp thumbrests and they are ok, but I can shoot without them also. It is really up to you if you like it.