Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumb rest or no thumb rest?

ironb

We do alot of things to our gun to control recoil. Grip tape, stippling, undercutting trigger guards, why not a thumb rests?

Because it will influence how the gun tracks.

Yep, and that influence can be good or bad depending on how the user uses it.

tried to use the *thumb rest [generic]*, but the darn screw on the cmore mount is stripped. couldnt get 'er done at the range. going to try to put her on at home and give her a go this weekend.

Just wanted to add my $.02. I shot a production gun Saturday at the PSA and shot an Open gun on Sunday with a thumb rest. Thinking back I do not remember "feeling" a difference. I don't remember my thumb touching the rest but I know it did. In "practice" or dry fire I notice the thumb touching and it feels natural but when shooting I don't notice it even being there.

Just wanted to add my $.02. I shot a production gun Saturday at the PSA and shot an Open gun on Sunday with a thumb rest. Thinking back I do not remember "feeling" a difference. I don't remember my thumb touching the rest but I know it did. In "practice" or dry fire I notice the thumb touching and it feels natural but when shooting I don't notice it even being there.

I concur. I shot the dragoncat this weekend with the thumbrest, and I forgot it was there. I think it actually helps a new shooter like me with better hand/grip positioning.

If you're going to shoot Open and Limited on a regular basis, I recommend no thumb rest.

I think if the thumb rest is in the right place, it's the same grip position for either gun. That is what has led me to making our own thumbrests as most commercially available rests put the thumb too high for a crossover style grip between the 2 different guns.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally got the screws today to install the thumbrest...

Where can buy some screws to fit the thumb rest to my Brazos open pistol?

The RHT thumb rest had some screws but they are bigger and dont fit to existing frame holes.

Edited by jros3e

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Anglin built guns has a thumbrest built on the slide release. This positions your left wrist in the turned down position with your thumb just lightly resting on the platforrm. This seems to eliminate trying to steer the gun with the thumb. Unfortunately Jim said he could not get the parts to build those anymore. I would like to have one on my backup gun.