Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autocomp

Two Delta

I finally got out to the chrono with some 9's using Winchesters new autocomp.I was surprised to find that it could make major without signs of high pressure. Anyway here is the load I came up with.

Sti Trubore 9mm one piece comp/barrel.

Mixed once fired brass

Winchester small pistol primers

7.0gr. Winchester Autocomp

124gr. RN. Precision Delta

C.O.A.L. 1.170

1346.3 FPS. average of 5 shot group.

extreme spread 16.2 FPS.

166.904 PF.

It shot very well with little dot lift if any. I think I'll use this for a while because its available and its cheap compared to vit. It's not smoky or flashy but I don't know how dirty it is yet.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Changed from Vit N350

Got a sample after the World Shoot, been in use since Feb. 7.0 on my scale (manually drop 10 charges=70 gr), MG 124jhp, 1.150 oal 172pf at Nationals, Ohio, Area2.

Clean enough, Soft enough, Consistent enough, Flat enough, and CHEAP enough.

Plenty room in case, no pressure signs.

So this question might be better off in the 40 section...but I use it in my Bedell Open 40. It's not clean. At all. I'm using a SPP, should I try SRP? Magnum primers? Incomplete burn? I'll search later, but I'm just curious what the 9mm guys are thinking.

I think this is pretty cool, when this powder was first announced we all assumed it was too fast to make major judging by the recommended charge weights and comparing it to the burn rates of other powders, Quite a few of us thought Winchester missed the mark coming out with an Auto comp powder that wasnt suited for playing. So I guess it seems like Winchester might have got it right after all.

Tried out a batch today, 7.1 grains behind a MG 124 jhp , col of 1.170 mixed brass and wsr primers.

1415 fps average with a 13 fps extreme spread for 175 pf out of a 5" open gun with 4 small holes in the barrel . Primer very slightly flattened.

Hardly any unburnt flakes in the gun after 250 or so rounds.

Some caked on grime on the feedramp that took moderate scrubbing to get out.

Although I haven't tried any yet I hope to soon out of my .38 Super. One thing I have noticed is that stuff is very dense, an 8 pound keg is the same size as most companies 4 pound kegs (noticed this when I picked some up for a prize table).

Joe W.

I got some last year when it first came out and everyone said it wouldn't work so I just traded it off for some bullets.

I should have given it a run. Well only 6 more pounds of Accurate 7 to shoot up, won't take long at 10.5 gr a hit.

• 4 months later...

Ran 7.16gr behind an MG 124 JHP @1.175 in mixed headstamp brass at the South Carolina Championships this past weekend... Chrono said 173PF in 70 degrees of temp. Will run similar at A6 this weekend... then might play with something a smidge lower. Seems to run the comp really well. These were in a 9mm Major gun, full length with no poppels.

Alan

I tried AutoComp for my .40 open gun (STI, Schuemann 5") using 135, 155 and 165 grain bullets. I used recommended published loads from hodgdon's reloading data center. In all cases I was getting blasted in the face with unburnt, (or still burning) powder. I'm not really happy with it. 3/4 lb for sale in the Seattle area :(

I like AutoComp but it is really easy to double charge. I really can't get it to meter through my powder measure very well because the grains are so small and almost have to force it. After 8 range trips with my G19 & 17 this is what I got with real nice groups.

115 5.2 OAL 1.135

124 4.8

147 3.8

40 S&W G 23

155 7.2 OAL AVG 1.125

165 6.6

180 6.1

Don't have chrono

• 5 months later...

Just to add to the list.

7.2gr Autocomp

Win Brass

124gr MG JHP

1.175 OAL

average for 8 shot group - 168pf

Std Goverment Storm Lake barrel in an Anglin open gun, no holes except comp

great im going to try 7.3 just because i like it closer to 170pf. How had was your crimp???

edit-wrong numbers on my charge

Edited by TRUbor9

I have been loading 125gr lead RN with 4.5grs of Unique. I just ordered some Autocomp and plan on using MG 124gr JHP. Gun is a XDM done by Scott at Springer. It has the 3 port comp and a Bar-Sto barrel.

Any suggested loads to start out with? I'm thinking the Unique is not getting the pressure I need for the comp to work.

I have been loading 125gr lead RN with 4.5grs of Unique. I just ordered some Autocomp and plan on using MG 124gr JHP. Gun is a XDM done by Scott at Springer. It has the 3 port comp and a Bar-Sto barrel.

Any suggested loads to start out with? I'm thinking the Unique is not getting the pressure I need for the comp to work.

just keep it under 172 pf the xdm's frames can't handle most major loads. try a 6.5gr load with a light crimp at an oal of 145 to start. then work up if it doesnt make it maybe just tighten the crimp as well.

I finally got out to the chrono with some 9's using Winchesters new autocomp.I was surprised to find that it could make major without signs of high pressure. Anyway here is the load I came up with.

Mixed once fired brass

C.O.A.L. 1.170

extreme spread 16.2 FPS.

166.904 PF.

It shot very well with little dot lift if any. I think I'll use this for a while because its available and its cheap compared to vit. It's not smoky or flashy but I don't know how dirty it is yet.

When I tried it out of my gun, also 5" and no holes, same COL and brass but using a Zero 125gr JHP, I only got ~1275 fps, for a 159PF.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

Mixed once fired brass

C.O.A.L. 1.170

extreme spread 16.2 FPS.

166.904 PF.

When I tried it out of my gun, also 5" and no holes, same COL and brass but using a Zero 125gr JHP, I only got ~1275 fps, for a 159PF.

Rob, that is quite surprising... I've now got it running in 4 5" (no hole) guns, all run great with 7.1-7.2 (my load of the moment is 7.14) at 1.165-1.170 behind a MG 124g JHP. In fact, that round Chrono'd at GA State at 1387fps in 2 guns back to back.

I'd check the calibration on your scale. I've not shot any zero's, but the MG's run just fine here... Most people are easily making major with 7.0-7.1. I've pushed some up to 1420fps just to see what would happen with the dot, no pressure signs with CCI SPP or Wolfe SPP

I'd say try it again, it's not a *perfect* load, but it sure isn't bad either... I've still gotta try some HS6 and Silhouette, and I just worked up the load for both at this same OAL. We'll see, at first blush, I didn't see anything noticable about either of those vs. the AC load... But I've only shot 5 of both B)