Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les baer Monolith in single stack

waxman

Full length dustcovers are not Single Stack legal.

Could you point me to where it says this in the rulebook? The only thing I can find, is where it talks about light rails.

Ask your question here: dnroi@uspsa.org before you shop...

Edited by ChuckS

Could you point me to where it says this in the rulebook? The only thing I can find, is where it talks about light rails.

Hmmm...

Looking at the book, I don't see where it says SPECIFICALLY that a long dust cover is unacceptable in single stack. I may be wrong though, but it would seem that a single stack 1911, that was a pistol produced with the correct number of units, that met the weight criteria, would be legal. Does the monolith meet the weight limit? Seems that the extra weight of the full dust cover would put it over anyway.

I found 3.25 inches from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover on Appendix D5, Page 77, note 23. In addition, I think you would have to put that thing on a serious diet to make 43 with a mag. However, YMMV.

Hmmm...

Looking at the book, I don't see where it says SPECIFICALLY that a long dust cover is unacceptable in single stack. I may be wrong though, but it would seem that a single stack 1911, that was a pistol produced with the correct number of units, that met the weight criteria, would be legal. Does the monolith meet the weight limit? Seems that the extra weight of the full dust cover would put it over anyway.

Picture a Government Model in your mind. If the frame is longer than that it's no longer a standard length frame and pretty much illegal.

Hmmm...

Picture a Government Model in your mind. If the frame is longer than that it's no longer a standard length frame and pretty much illegal.

Says? who? Just looking for it in writting

I know the intent is to not allow full dustcover guns, by the way I read the rules they are permitted...

•Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no

longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide

stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

I read it as: you may have a light rail as long as it is not longer than 3.25in... It does not apply to a dustcover IMO.

Edited by Matt Cheely

I know I am ;)

But just give me a minute, how does the sentence mean that I can't have a full length dustcover?

Permitted features: Factory installed light rail attachments (<-- being the permitted feature, with the clause -->)if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches.

There is no other mention of the dustcover length in the appendix. I could see maybe that a long dustcover isn't from a "basis in the original 1911 service pistol", but that's kind of stretching it.

Nope. While I don't speak for the DNROI, I do know him :devil:

My opinion, FWIW, is that the light rail, and dust cover are all part of the frame. The light rail is a dust cover that has been reshaped to allow attachments. Therefore, when the rule speaks of dust covers it includes the entire unit.

The reason for point out specifically the light rail was to clarify the point that light rails that were acceptable under specific circumstances.

Just kidding Gary, As a RO, I just like to have stuff in Black and white, if it ever comes up at a match. Thanks for your input. Maybe I will Hit up Mr.George Jones on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/1911_Single_Stack.pdf

Prohibited Modifications or features:

3. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

4. Slide lightening. (Removal of metal from the slide is permitted only for the following: front and

rear sights, front and rear cocking serrations, and flat topping and serration of the slide)

5. External modifications such as weights or devices to control or reduce recoil.

6. Pistols produced with attachment points for external lights or optics.

I like the full dustcover look a lot too, but it's explicitly forbidden unless it's an Aluminum alloy or Titanium. This ends up prohibiting the sharp-looking Monolith.

• 3 months later...
I read it as: you may have a light rail as long as it is not longer than 3.25in... It does not apply to a dustcover IMO.

Your opinion is incorrect. A simple email to dnroi@uspsa.org will get you an official opinion.

The board went to great lengths to keep Single Stack a true "1911 friendly" division where someone with an old warhorse of a gun would fit in and feel competitive. If we started to allow things like coned barrels, extended dust covers, and other variants it would create a culture where the "best gun" was an exotic and expen$ive gun. By limiting it to the traditional design, we've (hopefully) avoided an "arms race" and kept this division open as a true 1911 division.

When you have a question, please ask the official source. We have official interpretations available through NROI, and the intent is to avoid unintended consequences by parsing together sentences in a way that was never intended. The dustcover rule was intended to allow an moderately extended dustcover with a light rail when one would not otherwise be permitted. It was absolutely not intended to limit the dust cover length only in those cases where a light rail was not present.

I've got a really nice SVI single stack in 40 that I can't use because it's a cone barrel :wacko: