Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp powder recommendations?

cforcht

I use Solo 1000 for USPSA and Power Pistol for bowling pin loads in 45ACP.

The USPSA load is 4.5 grains of Solo 1000 and a 228 grain cast lead bullet when loading for my revolver. I have made USPSA major power factor with 4.3 grains of Solo 1000 and a 228 grain cast lead bullet in my 1911.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

... WST. I haven't ran into the temperature sensitivity issue yet but haven't had it in over 100 degree weather yet either.

What temperature sensitivity issue? I've been using it since starting reloading again a few years ago, with no problems that I can see. It gets pretty darn hot here in the sub-tropics of south Louisiana, but the load of 4.2 WST under a Remington 185 match SWC out of my RRA ball gun will still put them almost in one hole at the 50 foot line if I do my part; and just over three inches at 50 YARDS in the Ransom Rest. Its a very accurate combination.

WST is what replaced 452AA. I used that powder with very satisfactory results in the .45 cartridge 25 years ago; and don't recall any temperature-related issues with it back then either.

Have I been missing something???

I use Solo 1000 for USPSA and Power Pistol for bowling pin loads in 45ACP.

The USPSA load is 4.5 grains of Solo 1000 and a 228 grain cast lead bullet when loading for my revolver. I have made USPSA major power factor with 4.3 grains of Solo 1000 and a 228 grain cast lead bullet in my 1911.

My IDPA CDP load is 4.3gr of Solo 1K under a 230gr BBI. Super accurate, soft and relatively clean burning 170pf in 95 degree Florida weather.

my current (and favorite) powder is N 320.... although N310 is great too, but you've got a bit more room to work with the N320 than you do with the N310. Clays is also a good choice along with Bullseye but neither of these two powders are as clean as the Vit.

Good luck and have fun!

THG :cheers:

... WST. I haven't ran into the temperature sensitivity issue yet but haven't had it in over 100 degree weather yet either.

What temperature sensitivity issue? I've been using it since starting reloading again a few years ago, with no problems that I can see. It gets pretty darn hot here in the sub-tropics of south Louisiana, but the load of 4.2 WST under a Remington 185 match SWC out of my RRA ball gun will still put them almost in one hole at the 50 foot line if I do my part; and just over three inches at 50 YARDS in the Ransom Rest. Its a very accurate combination.

WST is what replaced 452AA. I used that powder with very satisfactory results in the .45 cartridge 25 years ago; and don't recall any temperature-related issues with it back then either.

Have I been missing something???

Yep, WST is inversely temp sensitive. I went minor at the NorCal Sectional a few years back because WST slows down as it gets hotter... ambient temp when I got to the chrono was 112 degrees Fahrenheit.

I use 200gr SWC from SNS over 5.0 WST. Average velocity out of 5" Kimber is 856 for a power factor of 173. I did use Red Dot for a short time but it seemed dirty and smoked more. I have a bunch of AA #5 I use for 9mm that I may have to try with some .45 rounds.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for uspsa major power factor, there is no reason to shoot anything slower than Win 231..

clays is cleaner than n320...320 doesnt burn completely at the low pressures needed for uspsa major.

if you just want to waste money, n310 is cleaner than n320 but doesnt do any better than clays...anywhere.

i use WST because it doesnt smoke as bad with lead bullets.

Clays is my choice for jacketed or plated bullets however.

Well I'm just the opposite of kreativecid. I love WST in my autos, but not crazy about it in my revos. So I'm just using Clays in .45 and running 230RNs for everything now. I use WST for jacketed AND lead in my .40 major loads and it's probably the single best lead bullet powder I've used, for the same reasons kreativecid stated. But Clays is nipping right on WST's heels.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried trailboss with their. 45 yet?

If so do you care to comment? I want to try it out but don't really have the time.

As far as the original topic, WST 4.2 gr in either 230 lrn or 185 swc. The 230 is 173pf and I believe the 185 was running around 770fps great reduced load w/o changing point of impact too much and almost no recoil.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

been running 231 for the past 12yrs,and the only time i get a dirty residue is when i dont clean it after 750 to 800 rnds,then the chamber gets a little grungy..run both lead and FMJ..Had made up some match loads using Rainer 230 JHP loads in 09 and they shot really good..run a variable Wolf 16lb spring..