Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switch eye when you switch hands?

bbbean

I don't switch eyes.

The only person that I've heard of that talks about doing that is (World Champ) Eric G. That interests me, but I don't see the benefit?

To go with the off-eye, you'd have to close the strong eye, I'd think? Now you are down to vision with one eye and that eye is the weaker eye.

Would there be a presentation problem or a gun handling (recoil) problem with presenting the gun under the strong eye?

I can't transition from "strong eye" to "weak eye" very fast - it'd take me even longer than it already does to transfer the gun SH to WH.

If I worked at it a lot, I'm sure I'd get faster, but there are a LOT of other areas in my shooting that demand more attention... :P

I don't intentionally change eyes but have noticed on several occasions (having to lean around a wall to shoot) that my eyes do it automatically. Haven't noticed a difference. I'm wierd I guess :D

I just think it is a matter of preference. I personally shoot with both eyes open strong and weak hand. I dont see any benfit in closing my dominant eye when shooting weak hand.

I don't think anyone is talking about "closing" an eye.

There is much evidence to support that balance in the outer world begins in the inner. We have preferences in handedness, eye dominance, the side we sleep on. as well as many others. (Think about it!) The awkwardness and lack of fine motor control that comes from training opposite our preferences, frustrates most people to the point that not much development is accomplished. Eventually, if you persist, it will effect the structure of your nervous system and thus your thinking and perception. When you find yourself thrust into circumstances in which your feet are grounding in shifting sands, being strong and flexible on both sides can matter a lot! It's always a question of balance.

I use my left eye for most of my handgun shooting, I will train some on paper targets with the optic blocked so the the target can not be seen through the lens. just the dot. The only way to make the shot is with both eyes open, = the dominant eye looks at the dot and the right eye picks up the target.

For right hand only shooting I will shift my head and turn my body just a bit to the right so my left eye lines up better.

If I was not left eye dominant I would just turn my body and head just a slight amount to bring the eye over the hand.

But I've herd that I don't know nothing. :mellow:

Edited by AlamoShooter

I have been told that I have bad form, but I lay my head on my shoulder to line up my eye with the centerline of my arm. Seems to make me shoot more accurately. I do this with both my SHO and WHO shooting. On WHO I have to lay my head down farther to get my eye lined up, because I always use my right eye.

Randy

I don't intentionally change eyes but have noticed on several occasions (having to lean around a wall to shoot) that my eyes do it automatically. Haven't noticed a difference. I'm wierd I guess :D

Same here, I switch eyes. Feels more comfortable, and I don't feel an eye dominance issue - I'm shooting Open. I can cover the C-More lens with a paster, and shoot with either eye.

I use my left eye for most of my handgun shooting, I will train some on paper targets with the optic blocked so the the target can not be seen through the lens. just the dot. The only way to make the shot is with both eyes open, = the dominant eye looks at the dot and the right eye picks up the target.

For right hand only shooting I will shift my head and turn my body just a bit to the right so my left eye lines up better.

If I was not left eye dominant I would just turn my body and head just a slight amount to bring the eye over the hand.

But I've herd that I don't know nothing. :mellow:

Maybe it the S.A. water for both of us, Rt eye dominant & shoot with both eyes open both hands. I use the same (shifted right) arm positions for either hand(s).

I'm no great shooter with either hand, but this is comfortable and works for me in run 'n gun.

I think some people are VERY dominant with one eye some are not. Same with hands. I switch eyes, it seems the easy way to do it. We shot a stage a couple years ago where we had to shoot all 3 gun left handed/shoulder. Talking to a couple of people I found out some of them had a very hard time dealing with the left eye. If they didn't close the right, it would take over. One guy went as far as using an eye patch on his right eye. Arrg a pirate from down under.

I was originally trained to switch eyes when I switched hands, especially on barricades. It never made any difference to me; with just one eye open, it becomes the dominant one automatically. I have heard and seen people who cannot close their firing side eye, so then it becomes an issue.

IMHO try both, see what works best for you. BTW after 20 years of training and competing, I don't switch eyes anymore, but that's just me. :surprise:

I tried switching my eyes once but it hurt too much so I left them where they were. :roflol:

Seriously I shoot handgun w/both eyes open and only when shooting long distances do I close an eye to perfect the aim.

If there was a barricade in the way and I had to switch eyes I would do so w/out hesitation.

We practice this in sniper training sessions shooting "weak" shoulder from prone as well as other positions.

At first most guys have a hard time with it but as they practice it more and more it comes naturally.

JK

Nothing improved my (Open Class) shooting more than the hard work I did to learn to keep both eyes open, however I'm shooting.

I cannot do it with open sights (which I've been using a lot practicing with a new carry gun), but with the C-More on the Open guns it's now automatic even after a very long layoff.

I was experimenting with the open sights over the past two days, using dominant (left) eye and non-dominant eye, and I cannot focus well enough with the weak eye to do anything reliably.

Its a technique worth investing a few practice sessions testing.

I tried it, found the weak wrist was more fixed using the weak eye, as opposed to breaking it slightly to the strong eye, but in practice my scores said no benefit, for me.

I have noticed that I prefer to shoot weak hand very square to the target, in pretty much a freestyle stance, but tend to quarter slightly strong hand. I'm sure thats related in some way, finding out how is definately not as important as focusing on the fundamentals; find primers, find projectiles, find a mortgage broker,..:)

P.D.

• 3 months later...

I used to shoot a lot of PPC, where using your left eye when shooting on the left side of the barricade gave you a much better shooting position, so I switch eyes automagically when going to weak hand. Not sure if it's as much of a benefit when shooting IPSC/USPSA though.

Edited by gose

• 2 weeks later...