Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USSA Custom Limited Pistols

stryder031100

I was wondering if USSA Custom limited pistols by Kevin Toothman are worth the hefty price. I believe their pistols start at $3900.00. They're great looking pistols but I can almost purchase two Benny Hill guns for the price of one of theirs. Thanks for the time.

Hello: Just buy 2 pistols from Benny Hill. It will make the old man happy :roflol: As they say you can charge what you want if people will pay for it. There are alot of great pistol makers out there but in the end it comes down to what you like and that it goes bang every time. Only you can decide what you are willing to spend just like buying a car :cheers: Thanks, Eric

what is most important is a pistol that works. after that your just paying for "pretty". benny hill, dawsons, brazos and bedell's run all day. i cant speak for the ussa pistol i've never been around any. if they work-- great, then you've just paid 1000 to 1200 extra for pretty. spend that extra money on some tuned mags. give the bedell lightning a look see. sweet pistol. and "pretty"

I've seen Kevin's guns... they are works of art. If "cosmetically flawless" is what you are after, talk to Kevin. Only you can decide whether or not they are worth the money.

My son runs a Benny gun. A good friend runs a Bedell gun. All of these 2011s run reliably and offer tremendous "pride of ownership".

I run a Glock. It runs 100% and offers "pride of ugliness".

I'd say that Kevin's guns are not overpriced, expensive, but worth every cent. Since my parents couldn't go with me to '08 Nationals, I spent the week hanging out with Kevin. It was rad, and I got to check on all his sweet projects in his shop. He makes some pristine guns. I could go either way; Kevin is a great guy and a his guns work all the time, and look HAWT at the same time. I have a Benny 6" Limited, and it runs 100%, simply spectacularly looking as well. Both smiths' guns will run flawlessly, it just depends on the style that you want.

:D

I have a 5" Benny gun. When I shopped for a second the USSA guns were way out there price wise. I tend to tear up the finish on my guns. Yes even hard chrome can be messed up. I still have my Benny gun. With a tactical 40 as a backup, that has been gone thru by Cupp at STI. I sold the Mclearn gun before I tore it up. For me I go for a gun that flat out runs instead of pretty. I plan to get a 6" this summer, I have been putting it off for a while now. I still do pull out the old Glock from time to time.

Mike

I was wondering if USSA Custom limited pistols by Kevin Toothman are worth the hefty price. I believe their pistols start at $3900.00. They're great looking pistols but I can almost purchase two Benny Hill guns for the price of one of theirs. Thanks for the time.

FWIW that is definitely a hefty price. Are you currently, or in the future, an avid competitor on the National circuit? If so, MAYBE it's worth it. If you are not, that's alot. There are other reputable gunsmiths out there who do excellent work and are alot less.

Not taking anything away from Kevin Toothman because I don't know him or his work, but that's alot of money...

I run a Glock.

It runs 100%

"pride of ugliness".

There's gotta be a T-shirt is here somewhere. :roflol:

Absolutley!! I run a Glock and have been told..."that gun has no character". My response..."character isn't in the gun, it's in the shooter". :-)

I like T-shirt idea!

Z-

• 4 months later...

Just purchased one of Kevin's guns. A terrific guy who explained the gun in great detail. He takes extreme pride in his work and you can definitely see it in the details of the gun. Compare the fit and finish of the gun to a production gun and you will know the difference. In addition, he is taking time to shoot the gun with me to make sure I understand it's features and shooting characteristics. He also walked me through the proper take down and cleaning procedures. So, the guns are definitely not cheap, but you are paying for a lifetime gun that also comes with personal interaction from the maker.

Also, take a look at other custom guns. You will find that a few have copied Kevin's features in their own "custom" work. However, their attempts have not been so neatly done in my own personal observations of the guns.

I also shoot M&P's but am fond to Kevin's customs. Dr. J

Just purchased one of Kevin's guns.

Since its your first post, we'll try to cut you a break. However, you need to post pictures of your new weapon ASAP. Some of the other members here don't take to kindly to this breach in enos etiquette.

Since its your first post, we'll try to cut you a break. However, you need to post pictures of your new weapon ASAP. Some of the other members here don't take to kindly to this breach in enos etiquette.

Note taken. Pics to follow soon. By the way, the gun is a single stack 1911, .40 caliber. The finish is ion-bonded with black aluminum grips. Fixed sights with custom shaping of the slide. Custom from the ground up. Pics a following soon.

Here is the pic of the custom gun by Kevin Toothman of US Shooting Academy. Lots of detail that is not all visible with the pic. Shoots like a dream :rolleyes: . Dr. J

post-20747-1251937731_thumb.jpg