Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P PRO recoil spring choice

Sarge

I shoot some factory 115's (until they are all gone) and 124g reloads(124CMJ, 4.0 TG) with all stock parts in the PRO and will shoot production minor PF only. I have some 147's coming to experiment with. If I down-load the 147's with TG as many on this forum do will the gun run stock? I think not but want to be sure what to order from Kenny at SSS. I have seen alot of 13lb talk.

I really don't have problems with the 9mm recoil but just like anyone else I am always looking for improvements in equipment and would hate to shoot a light spring gun 5 years from now and kick myself in the butt for not trying it sooner.

Is the weight of the tungsten rod worth trying or should I go with ss? Should I just leave well enough alone? I.E at the end of the day will it not be that big of an improvement/change anyway?

Yes I have read the FAQ's, just not a bunch of M&P stuff there yet.

As always thanks.

Kevin

I shoot some factory 115's (until they are all gone) and 124g reloads(124CMJ, 4.0 TG) with all stock parts in the PRO and will shoot production minor PF only. I have some 147's coming to experiment with. If I down-load the 147's with TG as many on this forum do will the gun run stock? I think not but want to be sure what to order from Kenny at SSS. I have seen alot of 13lb talk.

I really don't have problems with the 9mm recoil but just like anyone else I am always looking for improvements in equipment and would hate to shoot a light spring gun 5 years from now and kick myself in the butt for not trying it sooner.

Is the weight of the tungsten rod worth trying or should I go with ss? Should I just leave well enough alone? I.E at the end of the day will it not be that big of an improvement/change anyway?

Yes I have read the FAQ's, just not a bunch of M&P stuff there yet.

As always thanks.

Kevin

I put a 13 pound ISMI spring in mine, on a full length steel rod. Like it, works great. All I shoot is factory 115 grain, mostly PMC.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine shoots "gamer" 147 loads in his Pro with stock springs without any issues, but, mine is new/stiff enough that it seems to need 130pf to run.

I took my 14# spring and tungsten guide rod out of my Glock 35 and the Pro will run 120pf loads, but, the slide closes pretty slow, so I think I'm just going to run it stock with pretty much the same load you have been using. 125 grain Zero jhp with 4 grains of Tite group.

FYI, a tungsten guide rod AMY put you over legal weight for production. If I remember right, your pistol is only allowed to be 2 oz. heavier than factory specs.

My wife's new Pro will reliably cycle 3.2grs of TG with a 147,with the factory spring.She was having some issues with it at first,but it WAS NOT a gun problem.It was weak ammo,new gun,limp wristing shooter issues.You should be OK with gamer loads with a little break in.She probably has like 250 rounds through it now and all is well.-Mike

I tried the 13# spring and SS guide rod but found I shoot tighter groups with the stock setup.

I was shooting several different commercial loads and bullet weights. I had the best results with 124g Zero factory reloads from Roze Distribution. Now if they would only get some in stock....

My wife's new Pro will reliably cycle 3.2grs of TG with a 147,with the factory spring.She was having some issues with it at first,but it WAS NOT a gun problem.It was weak ammo,new gun,limp wristing shooter issues.You should be OK with gamer loads with a little break in.She probably has like 250 rounds through it now and all is well.-Mike

Keep your fingers crossed....some guns don't display problems until quite a few more rounds through them. One guy said his was fine until he hit the 750 mark and then it started having repeated FTEs. R,

• 2 months later...

Keep your fingers crossed....some guns don't display problems until quite a few more rounds through them. One guy said his was fine until he hit the 750 mark and then it started having repeated FTEs. R,

Mine has thousands of rounds through it and here is the only place I've heard of problems.

I have approx. 5000 thru mine, with a 13 lb spring and tungsten guide rod. By my scale, mine still makes weight, with some room to spare. I've had not gun related problems, only some crappy reload problems.

I've been using a 13lb ISMI flat-wound spring on a stainless guide rod for a Glock and a reduced power striker spring. The last 2000rds the gun has run great.

EG

My gun is relatively new but I have run 115 gr factory loads and 124 gr reloads with 4.1 gr N-320 using a SS guide rod and 13 lb flat wire spring with no problem. Kenny at Speed Shooters Specialties has the springs along with tungsten and SS guide rods.

• 2 months later...

I like the original questions that were asked, but nobody really chimed in on the tungsten guide rod issue. I just picked up a 9L and may shoot it next year. I'm used to a STI limited/open gun and I like a heavier front end feel. Question is, is it worth the $60 to get the tungsten guide rod from SSS? Does it make THAT much of a difference? Dont know that I care to be clipping too many things right off the bat, so MAYBE a heavier guide rod is a good place to start?

Dan, what do you think? You have plenty of experience with this set up. I have a 40 cal 4.25" pistol that I have had zero issues with. I have noted the stock recoil spring in that pistol has loosened up significantly (SP?) over the years.

Edited by Zerwas

I've had my M&P Pro for a little over a month now and have been playing with it a fair amount before I start shooting it in Production. I've got just over a thousand rounds through it. I've been shooting a G34 for the past 2 years. I retired it at 133k rounds and bought the M&P to try something different after really liking the M&P since it came out. Without ever firing the gun....I did a trigger job on it,replaced the guiderod with a stainless captured rod and 13#ISMI spring and put a set of Dawson adjustable sights on it.

I fired the first 300 rounds through it with the 13# spring. Just couldn't get the timing right with it. First shot was always poa/poi and the second always tended to be about 6" higher at about 1-2 o'clock unless I slowed my cadence way down to about .20 splits. Any time I shot faster than .15 splits it opened up. So I was thinking I was firing the second shot in recoil. I increased the spring to a 15# ISMI. Much better tracking but still not quite what I liked. My pairs were about 3" apart with .14-.15 splits. Next I increased my charge on my 131 pf 124gr loads by 3 tenths. I was getting somewhere now. The gun was cycling much better and it was keeping up with me. Just for kicks I stuck a factory Glock 17# spring in it. Glad I did becasue it was money for me. Timing was perfect and pairs were an inch apart at 10 yards. Checked my new load and it was 136pf. I never could run the G34 with anything heavier than a 13# ISMI spring. I found the M&P to be the total opposite.

Like Tod, I found my sweet spot in my M&P Pro with a little higher pf than skirting around the floor. I'm using 4.2gr of N320 behind a MG 124 JHP loaded to 1.130" COAL with WSP primers and get 133pf. At 127pf I didn't like the results at all. The funny thing about it is I can't even tell a difference in the feel between the lower pf and one a few more, but the follow up shots were back where they needed to be and accuracy increased as well.