Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for a 180gr lfp for my 40s&w

lal357

currently using 3.5 gr of titegroup win std primers groups good but smokes so i'm looking for something else . here a list of powders i had (pistol) any help ?

tiiegroup

win 231

red dot

green dot

blue dot

Edited by lal357

None of your choices is known for not smoking.

My quick answer is to get some WST.

thats what i was afraid of around here powder choice at the local store is not great (already had to change powder for my ar loads) so i was trying to see what i could do with what i have on hand . i searched but didnt really find much for the powders i have and loaddata.con isnt much better . my thought is this find a powder that burns slower than titegroup since the hotter the burn rate translate to heating up the lube/lead more .i could reduce to 3.0 gr. of titegroup but dont want to lose the fps to much.

hopefully after all this scare about losing all our bullets blows over my local supplier can get caught back up then my option will oped up more

Solo 1000 would also be a good choice to try for less smoke. It is a single base powder and does not burn as hot as TG....

DougC

have to see if they have that in stock looking at my burn rate chart solo is at #12 with tg @ 10 think i might try win 231(#23) its alittle slower than wst (cant get that )

Sooner or later you gonna have to give up on buying powder local. It's just too much of a pain. Hit Powder Valley or one of the other online suppliers., Get some buddies together for a bulk order if you have too. You can get what is best instead of what the local store wants to sell you.

Yeah, I would try to get some from out of area. Either WST or VV N320. About the same powder, minus the price. I run 4.6gr WST under lead or Black Bullet 180's and 5.2 WST under my ZERO JHP's. It burns clean..

Mike

4.6 of WST with a black 180 gets you a 165 PF? Are you shooting out of a 6"?

I like the WST with the moly bullets too!

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I would try to get some from out of area. Either WST or VV N320. About the same powder, minus the price. I run 4.6gr WST under lead or Black Bullet 180's and 5.2 WST under my ZERO JHP's. It burns clean..

Mike

I'd have to second the VV N320. While one of the pricier powders, its definitely one of the cleanest and least "smokey"... hmmm, is that a word?

I've had good sucess with Accurate #2 in 40 for both lead and jacketed, however it is not particularly clean. After about 300 rounds my STI needs a through cleaning. N320 burns really clean and is consistent.