Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 23

mwx40x40

For those of you that own a Glock 23 for self defense . What's your carry load? How is recoil/accuracy/etc?

This may be my next carry piece and would value the experience of my fellow BE'ers.

My current use stuff has been a J Frame with Federal Nyclad 158 +P SWCHP , Cor-bon 115 JHP's in 9mm Kahr,and Federal Hydrashok 230 in 45 1911.

I do not have any experience in 40 defense loads.

Not much info comparatively speaking to the mass of competition data found around here. I learned about Winchester Ranger ammo from LE compadres and over on GT. :cheers:

Jim

Speer Gold Dot 180 grain in mine. Back when you could get it in reclassified 250 rd boxes I shot a boat load of it for function testing. I noticed no accuracy issues and the recoil was only an issue when shooting for extended periods.

Hey Mark

I have witnessed several tests put on by ATK (parent company for Speer,CCI, etc.) The ATK rep at these tests welcomed any other ammunition you wished to compare with Speer. The Speer Gold Dot ammo in either 180 gr. or 165 gr. won every time in the .40 cal. class. I don't believe you can go wrong with the Speer. Just do yourself a favor and run 150 to 200 rounds through your gun to make sure there are no function problems. There shouldn't be, but it increases the confidence level.

Dwight

Hey Mark

I have witnessed several tests put on by ATK (parent company for Speer,CCI, etc.) The ATK rep at these tests welcomed any other ammunition you wished to compare with Speer. The Speer Gold Dot ammo in either 180 gr. or 165 gr. won every time in the .40 cal. class. I don't believe you can go wrong with the Speer. Just do yourself a favor and run 150 to 200 rounds through your gun to make sure there are no function problems. There shouldn't be, but it increases the confidence level.

Dwight

Speer Gold Dot 165s were our issue ammo for quite some time. A recent series of test dethroned it soundly....the new ammo is Winchester Bonded (Q4355) 180s. I've shot 25yd groups under 2" with it out of my G23. This stuff actually out performs .45acp Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHPs!

That's not to say the Gold Dot loads are a poor choice....I would be confident using them, but under the same test protocols, the Q4355 beats it by a significant amount.

There have been some departments that experienced problems with Speer GD 180s (and a few other 180s from what I've heard) in Glock 22s and 23s. I appears to be more with the newer guns and more noticably with brand new mags...they'll get double feeds or a round that pops straight up like a stovepipe, but it's not fired. Glock is working on a fix to the mags and looking at a slightly different recoil spring. If you shoot 200 and the gun runs, you don't have to worry about it...it won't take that long to find if it's going to be a problem.

For those folks still using Federal Hydra Shoks in any cartridge....move on man, there is MUCH better ammo available now and for not much more money. It was great when it came out, but it's nowhere near as effective as the newest stuff.

This site has some really good info on self-defense ammo:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Edited by G-ManBart

I carried a G23 on duty for the last 11 years or so till I retired. Our load was the 165 Gold Dots. Living where they make it saved some on shipping! B)

The 23 is still my carry gun of choice, and it's stoked with the GD 165.

:rolleyes:

Any quality made hollow point bullet that runs reliably. I haven't found one yet that my G23 wouldn't feed or shoot accurate enough. As for how well they worked compared to each other... fire until they fall.

I consider the flash signature in the dark to be a huge factor in my choice of carry ammo. I use Winchester Ranger or Federal HST in 9,40 and 45. I like Gold Dot performance more than any other bullet,but their flash is pretty big in the orange yellow spectrum. Winchester Ranger and Federal HST flash signature is almost nonexistent and in the red orange spectrum for the very small plume that is visible.

Hey Mark

Dwight

Speer Gold Dot 165s were our issue ammo for quite some time. A recent series of test dethroned it soundly....the new ammo is Winchester Bonded (Q4355) 180s. I've shot 25yd groups under 2" with it out of my G23. This stuff actually out performs .45acp Remington Golden Saber 230gr JHPs!

That's not to say the Gold Dot loads are a poor choice....I would be confident using them, but under the same test protocols, the Q4355 beats it by a significant amount.

There have been some departments that experienced problems with Speer GD 180s (and a few other 180s from what I've heard) in Glock 22s and 23s. I appears to be more with the newer guns and more noticably with brand new mags...they'll get double feeds or a round that pops straight up like a stovepipe, but it's not fired. Glock is working on a fix to the mags and looking at a slightly different recoil spring. If you shoot 200 and the gun runs, you don't have to worry about it...it won't take that long to find if it's going to be a problem.

For those folks still using Federal Hydra Shoks in any cartridge....move on man, there is MUCH better ammo available now and for not much more money. It was great when it came out, but it's nowhere near as effective as the newest stuff.

This site has some really good info on self-defense ammo:

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

I haven't had the opportunity to test or observe testing of the winchester bonded round. I have read some non-favorable reports on that round when it comes to heavy clothing (failure's to expand), but that may have been some early production runs. Can't wait to try some myself. With that said, all pistol rounds can fail to expand in a given situation, so keep this in mind when social application is necessary. Assume the bullet will fail and shoot center and often (till the threat is gone). Remember, just like starting a business, location, location, location.

Dwight

I haven't had the opportunity to test or observe testing of the winchester bonded round. I have read some non-favorable reports on that round when it comes to heavy clothing (failure's to expand), but that may have been some early production runs. Can't wait to try some myself. With that said, all pistol rounds can fail to expand in a given situation, so keep this in mind when social application is necessary. Assume the bullet will fail and shoot center and often (till the threat is gone). Remember, just like starting a business, location, location, location.

Dwight

All I know is that our testing protocols are pretty much what everybody models theirs off of and the new Win Bonded 180 just thumped everything they've ever seen....and they test everything. They did say it was awesome through heavy clothing and intermediate barriers of other kinds....I'm sure the design got tweaked as they went along. While testing isn't perfect, when you have extensive testing and then are able to compare it with real-world shooting results it allows you to do a pretty good job of adjusting your test methods to better simulate reality. Do that for enough years and eventually the tests are pretty decent. I think that's a huge factor in why bullet design has gotten better. They build something, run all sorts of test, see how it works in the field and then go back adjust the testing and then redesign the bullet for the new test. It's taken roughly 30yrs since most law enforcement starting carrying JHPs, but the premium bullets from most manufacturers are really good now.

Still, you're right....nothing beats location!

In my forties, including a Smith & Wesson SW40F (very similar to a Glock 22 ;) ), I have long used 155 grain Federal Hydra-Shoks.

I've also used the 180 grain. No problem with it, but I prefer the 155.

Winchester Ranger 180 grain .40's have performed as advertised for our agency in real incidents. The 180 grain Hydra Shoks that we used to use also worked. The modern offerings from the big ammo companies should give more than acceptable performance with good shot placement. My own carry/HD Glock 23 is stuffed with 14 180 grain Rangers. Even if I were authorized to carry a different load, I would still stick to a regular velocity 165 or 180 grain cartridge as they have a good track record.