Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

taurus PT 1911

fenwick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought one for my brother in law for christmas. Seems like a screamin deal for what you get. At the time, I paid $550 for the gun and they were giving a $75 rebate. Did not get to shoot it a ton before he took it home with him, but it ran great for the 100 or so rounds I put through it. Lots of features for the price.

Randy

I have shot a couple of these pistols. A friend of mine has one as his carry/truck gun, it also goes to 3gun matches as a backup to his STI Trojan. It will shoot one ragged hole at 18 yards (I was holding it when it did). I was impressed with it, for the money. It has ran good so far. He has probaly put 5-600 rds through it without any problems. The only things he had changed when I shot it was: threw away the stock grips and put on his preference, threw away the stock magazine and uses Wilsons, put a S&A magwell on it.

The only thing that I saw that I really didn't like was the funky lock in the hammer. I will probaly buy one fairly soon, not that I need one, but for the money, I believe you get a lot of gun.

Hurley

For the pricepoint, it is a great shooter. Dump the facorty mags, they are the weak link. Wilson D series are my personal fav.

It is my local IDPA gun and single stack rig.

(I say local IDPA as there might be a weight issue if you add an aftermarket magwell)

I have sold a ton of these. Lots of bang for the buck. Great selection of finishes and grips, even though the blue finish is not that great still for under 600 its a steal. Now if they would come out with a three inch model i would have to start carrying one.

I shot one in single stack for several months. It's a great gun, especially for the money. Plan on swapping out the thumb safety (they tend to fall out at the worst possible time) and get some decent mags. I had no problem making weight with the stainless gun, even after adding a magwell.

I got a blued one in December, paid 580 then got my 75 rebate. I have put a couple of hundred rounds through it without any problems. I am not usually a 1911 shooter, but I wanted something inexpensive to play in single stack occasionally. I am a lefty and a lot of guns with factory ambi safeties are on the higher end side. I was very pleased with my Taurus for the money.

Oh by the way, this is slightly off topic, but if I were looking for a 1911 today instead of a month ago, I would consider Detonics. I haven't seen a lot of advertising for them, but they are based out of Southern Illinois where I am from. I saw Limitless 13 shooting one in L-10 a couple of weeks ago. It was a nice pistol and he performed well with it. He doesn't get on here trying to hock pistols or anything, but its his family business. If I were in the market I would contact him about stocking dealers, prices, etc. His family has a good reputation in the Law Enforcement community.

I just read the prom ad in American Rifleman on the

Taurus PT 1911. If all that is true then $700 sounds

pretty enticing. Anyone have some first hand

knowledge on this gun.

VALUE OF TAURUS PT 1911 FEATURES AT RETAIL VALUE

Full length guide rod & reverse plug $35

Serrated slide rear and front 100

Checkered 30-lpi trigger guard 50

Checkered 30-lpi mainspring housing 60

Checkered 30-lpi frontstrap 150

Ambidextrous safety 125

Beavertail grip safety with memory pad 120

Skeletonized hammer 60

Skeleton serrated trigger 100

Trigger job 100

Custom fit barrel (air-gauged bushing) 100

Custom slide to frame fit 100

Polished feedramp and barrel throat 50

Lowered and flared ejection port 60

Custom internal extractor 75

Extended mag release button 35

Beveled mag well 100

Extra 8-round magazine 30

SUBTOTAL 1600

Basic Mil-Spec Model 1911 pistol 500

TOTAL 2100

NOTES: Prices are average of parts, installation, and fitting charges from five leading U.S. pistolsmiths based on a Mil-Spec basic Model 1911 pistol as the starting point.

Is all of this stuff true? :goof: IMO seriously close to false advertising, yes the gun comes with those parts, but custom fit.... aahh no. The only parts on my gun that looked like they had any extra work done were the disconnector and feedramp which were polished. Like the others have said the factory mags are weak, good for practicing reloads but not for shooting, and they won't work if you add a magwell.

The gun is a good deal for what you pay, but don't expect anywhere near custom build quality. You get what you pay for.

I have one that I added a magwell and a flat trigger and a dawson fiber optic front sight.

I like it alot. I shoots accurate enough for me and has been reliable.

I think they are a real deal.

I dont know about their "custom gun feature math" but for < $600 they are pretty dang hard to beat.

I had one for a while, it ran flawlessly. Sold it to fund something else and got resale value due to its popularity. Good gun.

A buddy of mine bought one a while back, he has put a lot of rounds through his without any problems. I personally don't care for the sights or the grips, but for the money it is hard to beat.

.... Plan on swapping out the thumb safety (they tend to fall out at the worst possible time) ...

A friend gave me his spare thumb safety after the original Taurus ambi safety fell out on my first draw at a local match.

I have had some other minor hang-ups that I suspect would be fixed if I had someone show me how to adjust the extractor.

• 5 weeks later...
The local dealer has a stainless model in .38 Super for $625. If I still had all my old stocks of .38 Super ammo, I'd buy it just to make some brass!

Here it is. I bought it.

DSCN0346.png

DSCN0347.png

DSCN0348.jpg

DSCN0349.png

Edited by Tokarev

I've only got 30 rounds through the pistol but, so far, it seems like a solid value. The Novak (rather than Heinie) sights will appeal to those who think the Heinie sights are too wide for accurate shooting. Still, the rear sight looks like it was put on as an afterthought.

The frame to slide fit is decent. It's about like any other "off the shelf" 1911. The trigger is heavy but fairly crisp and without overtravel. Earlier guns I've seen had what appeared to be an STI ambi safety but this one is a little different. It still looks very much like an STI safety but it is beefier and thicker. It isn't beveled and relieved on the edges like an STI safety. The left-hand paddle doesn't fit the gun really well (there's a slight gap) but it works crisply.

Oddly enough, the gun has a standard old 1911 feed ramp.

Ilove mine and I thought "Hey this is a realy good 45 for the money", now I just think "Hey this is a really good 45".

It's not a WIlson, STI, or nighthawk, but what else is?

I would buy one all over again if I need a 4th single stack 1911.

Picked up a duo tone PT1911 yesterday. I wanted a single stack and have been mulling the options. For the money this is a cool gun. 10 minutes with a fine stone and the trigger is pretty darn nice. About 80 rounds downrange and I am impressed. The Novaks suit me better than the Heine sights. So far so good.