Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer and Powder Storage

Sarge

I am getting tired of being the guy who only buys 5k of primers at a time to allow others to have a chance. I have decided to start major stockpiling like everyone else. How many years can I keep primers and powder under ideal conditions if left sealed. I am thinking along the lines of a 10 year supply. Too long?

Oh and I plan to store it at various places for safety.

Thanks

I am getting tired of being the guy who only buys 5k of primers at a time to allow others to have a chance. I have decided to start major stockpiling like everyone else. How many years can I keep primers and powder under ideal conditions if left sealed. I am thinking along the lines of a 10 year supply. Too long?

Thanks

Wow :surprise: :surprise:

I thought I was bad keeping a single year's stuff on hand. Better specify in your last will and testament where your stockpile goes.......maybe start a junior shooters reloading endowment?

You are kinda late to the stockpiling party though.

Things will settle down by end of this year I predict.

BB

Thanks

I'll store them for you....no charge really :roflol:

I hate to say it... but Sandman... thinking like that is what is causing this mess. Why does everyone think production of primers is such a problem? It's not materials... it's not even Obama... it's panic buying.

Shelf life for gun powder is almost endless, at least fifty years if stored dark, dry, in low, even temperature in closed container.

Primers at least thirty years, same storage conditions.

I use thirty year old primers from time to time, no problem. I don't have fifty yearss old gun powder, but twenty year old Norma 200 still kicks like it should... :rolleyes:

I hate to say it... but Sandman... thinking like that is what is causing this mess. Why does everyone think production of primers is such a problem? It's not materials... it's not even Obama... it's panic buying.

Brother I hear ya' But I have been to my local dealer and took 5K and left 25K. Got home and started thinking about it and called to say I was coming back in the morning to get another 5K and was told some guy just came in and bought them all. I can see trying to do the right thing here but if this mess gets real crazy down the road I will be the one left in a bind.

Do I believe we are going to lose everything? Actually no. But no one can be 100% certain.

I also don't want to have the supply in case the world comes to an end I want it so I can keep shooting matches on a regular basis without it costing me an even bigger fortune than I am willing to spend now.

I forgot to post this. Yesterday the gun shop had a few 5K boxes each of Small magnum match pistol and large of the same. If you are local and could use them let me know.

I forgot to post this. Yesterday the gun shop had a few 5K boxes each of Small magnum match pistol and large of the same. If you are local and could use them let me know.

I good deed is worthy of a good deed... see your inbox. :cheers:

If the worst should happen and they become "hard to find" because of "biennial changing winds of public opinion" I was thinking powder should be fine if it was unopened, in the cool place. I'm not sure as to primers. How does this sound, the primer should be in a sealed ammo can with some desiccant packets. Would I want to add some add some oxygen absorbers in as well for good measure? Would a metal ammo can be better to a plastic one? Anyother thoughts for this.icon14.gif

If the worst should happen and they become "hard to find" because of "biennial changing winds of public opinion" I was thinking powder should be fine if it was unopened, in the cool place. I'm not sure as to primers. How does this sound, the primer should be in a sealed ammo can with some desiccant packets. Would I want to add some add some oxygen absorbers in as well for good measure? Would a metal ammo can be better to a plastic one? Anyother thoughts for this.icon14.gif

metal ammo cans is probably overkill. I guarantee you the manufacturers and wholesalers are just leaving them in boxes in a warehouse for storage.

If you are shooting as regular as most USPSA shooters, you are going to go through what, 15k to 30k of these a year and stock rotation will prevent them from getting older than a couple of years anyway.

Just remember that if you buy a huge ammount of powder and primers, you have to store them in accordance with the law. Separate powder magazines and primers away from the powder. Hope you have a warehouse to store 10 years worth of components!

[spoken in Judge Dread's voice]

The LAW? I AM the LAW! :rolleyes:

No seriously you should worry more about your homeowners policy than what state law says. If you should happen to have a fire / explosion at your house, and the Fire Dept. finds any primer / powder stash you will have to answer to your insurance agent. Most policies only allow 1,000-10,000 primers, and I don't know how much powder.

I'd hate to see anyone have their house burn down, only to have their ins. claim denied due to ignorance of their policy.

After telling my roommate that I was getting more powder and primers he stated that he will have to put a metal plate under his bed. He said he would be going through the roof if the garage catches on fire.

I store my powder and primers in my garage....his room is right above the garage! :roflol:

Storage of primers beyond 3 months can be highly hazardous and possibly void your homeowners insurance. As a public safety measure, think of the children!, you may ship all of your primers over 3 months old to me for proper disposal.... PM for address

Storage of primers beyond 3 months can be highly hazardous and possibly void your homeowners insurance. As a public safety measure, think of the children!, you may ship all of your primers over 3 months old to me for proper disposal.... PM for address

That would be so much more legit if you put a Nigerian address and the offer of 39 million dollars :ph34r: