Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A 22 Ammo Source

I'm really trying hard ... to not make this a post with any political twist. Honest Mods.---- so please hear me out

I teach the Michigan Concealed Carry Pistol Class and a number of other NRA classes (including youth classes and hunter safety) and as such,,, I burn through a lot of 22 ammo in a year.

My general source has been WalMart where I bought the Winchester Xpert bulk packs of 500 rounds at up to $11.59 for a 500 round box (a year ago it was $9.56) . Walley has been out of this and all other affordable ammo for many.... many weeks if not months...

So - - - - on another forum I heard that MidWay had this Winchester ammo available in case lots. When I called I was told that the ammo was on back order and in the future it would only be available in an order of one 500 round box per order..... and at this point the first shipment would be in late May and the price was a staggering $23.99 per box)----Which means I will be forced to cancel classes for kids and adults interested in shooting because there is no ammo)

(Please remember this post when you are watching TV programs sponsered by MidWay--- this policy dosen't indicate to me that they really support the shooting sports as they indicate in their ads.)500 rounds of 22 ammo is a new limit????????? that wouldn't get me through an hour of training.

Do any of you BEnos people know where I can buy affordable .22 ammo to continue teaching?

If not the end may be near!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MichiganShootist

You sir need to buy .22LR by the case. And Wally World isn't the best game in town. Not the greatest prices and spotty availability.

My rimfire suppliers.

Champion Shooters Supply. THE place to go if you are looking for top shelf target rimfire.

Graf&Sons.Carries a pretty decent selection of mainstream rimfire. They are showing CCI Blazer at $1.99 a box of 50 and in stock. Be worth a phone call for case price.

If you can find .22LR at less than $2 a box. Buy it. Rimfire went up drastically Jan 01. Oh, and do yourself and favor stay away from Remington rimfire. The quality control isn't there. Another brand worth looking at is Aguila. Made in Mexico. Inexpensive and works pretty darn good.

Oh, and the CMP is definitely an option. The case lots they sell there ... Aguila.

I am having the same problem finding bulk .22 in the St. Louis metro area as well. I happened to be in the St. Louis/Weldon Springs area on Sunday and stopped in at a Wally World. Just like the southwestern Illinois stores, they were all out of 9mm, .40 and .45. The bulk .22 ammo they did have was the grey Winchester "brick" box for $23. :surprise:

I passed on that. One, because of the price, and two, because I did NOT know how reliable it would be in my conversion kits.

I can't remember the last time I saw a brick of .22LR on the east side of the river here in Illinois at the Wally Worlds.

The most reliable ammo I have tested so far has been the CCI Blazer in the black and grey brick. Now, this is where you have to pay attention... there are two types of CCI Blazer. One is with the zip top you peel open like on an icecream carton. That usually has the white plastic trays inside with the silver colored lead bullets. My buddy thinks that is actually Federal 510's.

Then there is the same kinda black and grey CCI blazer box with a tuck in cardboard flap. It usually has the clear plastic trays that hold the bullets in the individual boxes and the bullets are a dary grey, almost a black, bullet.

I went to a Rural King or a Bucheit's farm supply store and bought two boxes of this CCI Blazer ammo, only to get home and discover that one box was the silver bullet zip lid, and the other was black bullet, flap lid. Now, I know for sure the black bullets run 100%.

The silver bullets I haven't tried yet. I hope they work. :unsure:

So a word to the wise, open the boxes to check which bullet you have before you actually leave the store.

As far as the Remington .22LR, yeah, I think they are CRAP too. :angry2:

rumor mill mode on... from other internet forums, the scuttlebutt is that the local gunstores are buying up the ammo from the WalMarts and then reselling it in their stores at a substantial markup. :angry2::angry2:

Edited by Chills1994

Walmart here has plenty of 22. Enough to run a school with? Not likely. I too would have found a better source for those kinds of numbers. The store also has several cases of Blazer brass 9mm and 40 but no 45.

Wally out here has been out of most bulk pack 22 for over a month. Both sporting goods stores only have 50 & 100 round packs left. A farm & ranch supply had 10 cases of Winchester Xpert 2 weeks ago that is now gone. A few days ago they got 8 1# cans of H335 that did not last an hour before it was gone.

Here's another supplier I forgot about.

Shooters Catalog They are a subset of Champion Shooters selling more mainstream ammo. They are showing Blazer at $164 a case and American Eagle at $158 a case. They also have XPerts at $22.99 / 500.

Another option at Champion Shooters is Eley Sport in the purple box with a star at the right side. It's Eley primed made by Aguila. Basically Aguila ammo with a Eley headstamp. It's been discontinued. $2.50 a box. They may give you a case break to move it out of inventory.

Rimfire has gone up 50% over the last two or three years. What I used to pay $1.10 a box is now $1.75 a box. Mid range Eley used to be $4 a box and is now $6 a box.

The run on ammo is affecting the rimfire side also. On one rimfire forum I frequent there are posts after posts of people looking for bulk boxes. I'm also seeing more posts of people boasting that they saw 10 bricks of Belchfire .22 on the shelf at Wally World and they bought it all. :angry2:

I probably should have loaded up or started buying .22 in case lots a long time ago... I really got caught in a "double whammy". It was always on the Wally World shelfe and cheap--- so why store it "I thought".

The ammo price increases are hitting much faster and harder than I thought (a year ago I was still buying Winchester JHP Expert ammo for under $10 for 500 --- it's now running $24 per 500 in case lots..... if you can find it)

The second wammy was the huge spike in people taking classes since the election last fall. My enrollments have trippled and hence .... so have the ammo requirements

Wally and most other retailers are having cash flow problems, Not from Ammo specifically but all items are selling slow so less cash to re-supply. Plus many have lines of credit that have been restricted so inventory of everything is low.

I was looking for some WWB 9's to shoot our Regional IDPA match none to be had anywhere, but thinking it out went to the local gun shop that has been around a long time and well set. He had it in cases, and priced 20% higher than walmart.

Welcome to the new economy.

Boats

I am having the same problem finding bulk .22 in the St. Louis metro area as well. I happened to be in the St. Louis/Weldon Springs area on Sunday and stopped in at a Wally World. Just like the southwestern Illinois stores, they were all out of 9mm, .40 and .45. The bulk .22 ammo they did have was the grey Winchester "brick" box for $23. :surprise:

I passed on that. One, because of the price, and two, because I did NOT know how reliable it would be in my conversion kits.

I can't remember the last time I saw a brick of .22LR on the east side of the river here in Illinois at the Wally Worlds.

The most reliable ammo I have tested so far has been the CCI Blazer in the black and grey brick. Now, this is where you have to pay attention... there are two types of CCI Blazer. One is with the zip top you peel open like on an icecream carton. That usually has the white plastic trays inside with the silver colored lead bullets. My buddy thinks that is actually Federal 510's.

Then there is the same kinda black and grey CCI blazer box with a tuck in cardboard flap. It usually has the clear plastic trays that hold the bullets in the individual boxes and the bullets are a dary grey, almost a black, bullet.

I went to a Rural King or a Bucheit's farm supply store and bought two boxes of this CCI Blazer ammo, only to get home and discover that one box was the silver bullet zip lid, and the other was black bullet, flap lid. Now, I know for sure the black bullets run 100%.

The silver bullets I haven't tried yet. I hope they work. :unsure:

So a word to the wise, open the boxes to check which bullet you have before you actually leave the store.

As far as the Remington .22LR, yeah, I think they are CRAP too. :angry2:

rumor mill mode on... from other internet forums, the scuttlebutt is that the local gunstores are buying up the ammo from the WalMarts and then reselling it in their stores at a substantial markup. :angry2::angry2:

Rumor Verified today. I went to walmart with a friend to get him some blazer brass 40 and all of the cases I saw stocked 2 nights ago were gone. I told the guy at the counter that it sure went quick what happened to all those cases? A customer asked if I meant like the one he had bought.(he shook the case on the counter and said come by my shop and I will sell you some!) That is just wrong and I don't think walmart should knowingly sell it to dealers.

Wally World sets a price like all retailers and really doesn't care who it's sold to. I have a problem with what appears to be "private deals" where employees call a "customer" when the stock arrives and they buy it all.

A have heard from at least one major sporting goods store in my area that the guys in their ammo department have been approached a number of times with "offers" like that... for cash.

We are clearly in what my economics professors called an irrational market.

Let's see------- Why could that be???????????????????????

Ditto... I asked the one ammo counter at one Wal Mart, in person about an hour ago if the rumor is true about gunstore owners coming in a buying up the ammo.

He said that _____ from ____ and ____ gunstore came in and bought up all their 9mm.

:angry2:

I just figured out who I am NOT buying my next gun from... or who is NOT going to handle the transfer either if bought used and from out of state.

Wally World sets a price like all retailers and really doesn't care who it's sold to. I have a problem with what appears to be "private deals" where employees call a "customer" when the stock arrives and they buy it all.

A have heard from at least one major sporting goods store in my area that the guys in their ammo department have been approached a number of times with "offers" like that... for cash.

We are clearly in what my economics professors called an irrational market.

Let's see------- Why could that be???????????????????????

The private deals are bad...unless you are a part of them. :rolleyes:

Here is a place that has 22LR in stock. I highly recommend the mini mags.

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentI...mp;ammoSize=196

I walked into my local Wally World this am and bought 4 550 packs of Remington Golden .22lr. They had Winchester 333s on the shelf too. Zero 9mm, 40 or .45.

The guy said that it comes in every week in smaller than usual quantities and is gone fast, but its still coming reliably.

There are three Wally Worlds near me... two only had higher priced .22's in 100 sleeves, but one had bulk pack Winchester as well as Bricks of two different Remington stuff. I was surprised to see so much of it. They had none of the Federal bulk packs that I prefer, but since it's all going through revolvers for DA practice it didn't really matter.

What shocked me even more is that they were $12.95 per. I had expected them to be up around $22+ a piece at least considering, the 250 round pack of UMC 9mm that was $36 in June is $68(?) now.

Edited by cas

BINGO !!!!

I just found a small gun shop with a MAJOR supply of Federal .36 grain copper plated hollow point 22 LR ammo.

It's very resaonbly priced ( just over 2 cents a round --with no shipping or haz. met fees) and comes in 550 round bulk packs. (it apears to be the Federal version of the Winchester Xpert 22 with which I have had very good luck).

Do any of you have experience with this particular ammo??????????

I'd hate to stock up and find out it's junk.

Advice any one????? Remember the majority of this will be shot in classes at 21 feet from handgun or 50 feet out of rifles..........so I don't need match grade target ammo... just some that will go bang 99% of the time and not bounce the bullet off the cardboard:)

Edited by MichiganShootist

Sounds like Federal Champion 745. Fed has only one 36gr bullet in their rimfire lineup so this must be it.

Advertised Velocity: 1260 fps

Chrono Velocity: 1233 (10/22 with A&B 16" barrel)

ES: 38.0

SD: 11.4

Accuracy from a technical point of view, sucked, but they were better performers than XPert 22. Average 5 shot groups at 50' with the 10/22 was 0.292". Did go bang every time however. For what you're using them for they will do the job. Buy a case.

Ditto... I asked the one ammo counter at one Wal Mart, in person about an hour ago if the rumor is true about gunstore owners coming in a buying up the ammo.

He said that _____ from ____ and ____ gunstore came in and bought up all their 9mm.

:angry2:

I just figured out who I am NOT buying my next gun from... or who is NOT going to handle the transfer either if bought used and from out of state.

Don't be so quick to judge the actions of the local gun shops. Many of them are in the same boat as the rest of us (trying to find ammo) and they additionaly have to do what they can to stay in business in these increasingly tough times. I am not in the gunshop business but have seen how difficult its been for the local shops to put any ammo on the shelves. The frustration we all feel towards the current ammo supply debackle is not because of the local Gunshop. :wacko:

My local range is FORCED to buy ammo from Wal Mart on occasion when they can't get it from other sources. He's been looking for reliable distributors, but sometimes you gotta just keep the doors open. He doesn't mark it up horribly, just wants to keep people coming to his range.

If all else fails, there's really good and realistic airguns available these days.

Plenty powerful enough and very accurate.

CO2 powered Blowback models with recoil can substitute for autoloader .22s.

Springer rifles are extremely accurate out to over 50 yds and also recoil realistically.

Many choices available for well under $100.

Just a thought to carry you over the shortages.

No clean up afterwards either.