Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Fort Benning 3 Gun Challenge

Reservations: check

Practice schedule/local matches added to calender: check

Shopping list of ammo and gear needed: check

Write checks to cover above checks: check

Planning on any more long range, low port rifle shots that require a snorkel?

Add mask and snorkel to checklist: check :D

Lee

Scuba anyone?

Last 3-gun almost answered the question, when can you have too much ammo? Answer: When you are swimming.

Now don't get me wrong here. I am not afraid of a little mud or water, just so long as it is reasonably warm mud and water. My days of swimming in 38 degree water are long gone, I hope.

Jim

I would have LOVED to have had my SCUBA mask on a few of those stages... would have looked dumb as hell, but I wouldn't have had the fog issues..

The mud and H2O are fine, it is the rust I can do without.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the guy I talked to at Holiday Inn, the 50 rooms reserved for the match are booked. Any chance more rooms will be added?

Talked to the AMU. They will check if the rooms are really all booked, and see if we can add to the block if they are all reserved. In addition, we may need to add a second or third hotel. There are certainly several nearby. The match is 5 months away. I'm certain we will find more rooms.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

2009 Ft Benning 3 Gun Statistician

According to the guy I talked to at Holiday Inn, the 50 rooms reserved for the match are booked. Any chance more rooms will be added?

I made my reservation at 1600 EDT and had no problems.

-mike-

Talked to the AMU. They will check if the rooms are really all booked, and see if we can add to the block if they are all reserved. In addition, we may need to add a second or third hotel. There are certainly several nearby. The match is 5 months away. I'm certain we will find more rooms.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

We went with the Fairfield Inn & Suites on 4510 East Armour Road, which (I think) is on the way to the range from the match hotel. Rates seem to be about the same as the match hotel.

No problem here........Match hotel confirmed at 6:15 left coast time..!!!!!!

Southwest has good $fares$ to Birmingham........Is the savings worth the added 40mi drive.???..... How's Atlanta/airport Monday morning......??????

Southwest has good $fares$ to Birmingham........Is the savings worth the added 40mi drive.???..... How's Atlanta/airport Monday morning......??????

Hartsfield - Jackson is hectic at any time, but its the traffic in Atlanta that you really must worry about. What time does your flight arrive? You are already well south of downtown and you'll be headed out of the city so those factors are favorable. If you land in B'ham you'll be 3 hours away from Ft. Benning whereas Hartsfield - Jackson is about 1:45 total.

Hartsfield - Jackson is hectic at any time, but its the traffic in Atlanta that you really must worry about. What time does your flight arrive? You are already well south of downtown and you'll be headed out of the city so those factors are favorable. If you land in B'ham you'll be 3 hours away from Ft. Benning whereas Hartsfield - Jackson is about 1:45 total.

Hartsfield it is............FrontierAir has a descent fare......

I reserved my room at 1600Central on Saturday. The nice lady that made the reservation for me said that I got the last NS double Queen in the Match block.

Getting into this match and getting a hotel room is almost like shooting a match in itself! My wife thinks it is funny for me to come home from work and check the computer to see if I have an email from Linda.

Hurley

Even if the fare was the same I would fly in to Birmingham.....it is a easy drive down 280 into Benning only 150 miles 2.5 hr drive....Atl anytime in the morning SUCKS!!!! Flying out of B'ham Southwest is GREAT with firearms also...Southwest counter is next to TSA check in.

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck

First, thanks to the many shooters who took the time to practice signing in for a Registration Code number. I ran a few simulated stress tests today. With 500 sign ins during one second, the system slowed significantly (hour-glass symbol for as long as 14 minutes before the next page appeared after clicking the submit button). However, no data was lost and the site did not crash. I did two separate tests and the delay ranged from less than one second to as long as 14 minutes 26 seconds. A delay does not mean you have failed to sign in.

I do have a warning message for some of you.

If you went to the practice sign in page and 'saved' the location to your computer, you will not be able to use that "shortcut link" on Thursday night. The real sign in page has a different name & is located on a different hosted internet site. The current practice sign in page will be changed at 8:30 PM Eastern Time on Thursday and the links on the Fort Benning 3 gun website will be changed to re-direct everyone to the actual sign in location.

I really like the creativity and ingenuity of the 3 gun crowd. It keeps the sport interesting. They keep trying to find a better solution to the problem. It has come to my attention that a handful of shooters are planning to "game" the sign in process by writing a computer program or script to increase their chances of getting a spot in the match. Very creative, but, unfortunately, futile. The current practice page is exactly that - a practice page. The actual sign in page has a different file name and is located on a different hosted site (different URL). The current practice sign in page will be changed at 8:30 PM Eastern Time on Thursday and the links on the Fort Benning 3 gun website will be changed to re-direct everyone to the actual sign in location. To deter last minute corrections to code meant to sign in people automatically, I re-created the form fields as well. They look the same on the page, but the identifier of the form blanks is different.

The new links and pages should be up by 9:00 PM Eastern Time Thursday. You are welcome to look at the pages as early as 9:00 PM, but DO NOT sign in on those pages until 9:30:00 PM Eastern Time as indicated by the clock on the page. Good Luck to everyone.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Linda,

After reading the first six pages of posts in this thread, I would hope that if this match is to be held next year, that a mail in lottery system is used. It seems to me it would eliminate a lot of problems and confusion, and be the most fair. Maybe others feel the same, I don't know. Perhaps before you begin preparing for next year, someone could start a thread to vote for what type of system is preferred? I admire your dedication to set up the on-line registration process, but if it were me, I'd have done the lottery thing. It seems it would be so much easier, and I'm not as dedicated as you seem to be.

-Jason Nikoley

TY16273

I'll defer to d.carden's report of me and hopalong's journeys making this exact trip. While everything without off without a hitch flying into and out of B'ham...getting to Benning was another story. :D

Dan - To answer your question, in order for everything to time out JUST right, you have to take a 630 (I think) departure out of Oakland to make a connection in Phoenix. Then, if I recall, it's a non-stop to Birmingham. Then drive another 2-3 hours.

Sam says he's got a bigger truck now, so we're good, but that's if we fly in a day before and watch the RO's shoot (not a bad idea actually) especially since it'll get us oriented in how to get to the range. All I know is it's on the Kelly Hill side of the base.

Rich

I'll defer to d.carden's report of me and hopalong's journeys making this exact trip. While everything without off without a hitch flying into and out of B'ham...getting to Benning was another story. :D

Rich

If I have to help push the car then thats what i'll do.........Till the tow truck gets there...

You guys did get a tow last year...didn't you..?????? :roflol::roflol:

Edited by D.carden

Linda,

After reading the first six pages of posts in this thread, I would hope that if this match is to be held next year, that a mail in lottery system is used. It seems to me it would eliminate a lot of problems and confusion, and be the most fair. Maybe others feel the same, I don't know. Perhaps before you begin preparing for next year, someone could start a thread to vote for what type of system is preferred? I admire your dedication to set up the on-line registration process, but if it were me, I'd have done the lottery thing. It seems it would be so much easier, and I'm not as dedicated as you seem to be.

-Jason Nikoley

TY16273

Hi Jason,

Only two problems with that plan: The AMU specifically does not want to do a mail in Lottery. And I specifically do not want to do a mail in Lottery. People who like that option are welcome to find matches that use that system. You will not see it at Ft Benning as long as I am associated with the match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

I noticed some concerns about traffic coming out of Atlanta toward Columbus and back to the airport. Based on my experience this is not going to be a problem and it is certainly a far easier ride to the Atlanta Airport than it is to the one in Birmingham. Traffic west and southwest of the airport is alwys lighter than from the south or north. While our Atlanta Airport is large, it is also in my experience very easy to use and but for Dallas Ft Worth, it is the easiest airport I have ever used but then again DFW does not have Atlanta's air traffice.

Linda,

-Jason Nikoley

TY16273

Hi Jason,

Only two problems with that plan: The AMU specifically does not want to do a mail in Lottery. And I specifically do not want to do a mail in Lottery. People who like that option are welcome to find matches that use that system. You will not see it at Ft Benning as long as I am associated with the match.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Linda,

It's your match, and your call, but tell me that if I sync my internet time, use a T1 connection, and am physically located less than a mile from your server, that I don't have an advantage over someone with dial up in Alaska. There are ways to cheat your system without even trying, or intending it. I for one know the tricks, and as such, I would exclude myself from your registration process, as you suggest. Just one more slot for some one else, I guess....

I do hope you remain in charge of the process. You seem too dedicated person to the match to not have running it, I would only hope you can be open to other ideas. Thanks for your reply.

Jason

Linda,

-Jason Nikoley

TY16273

Hi Jason,

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Linda,

It's your match, and your call, but tell me that if I sync my internet time, use a T1 connection, and am physically located less than a mile from your server, that I don't have an advantage over someone with dial up in Alaska. There are ways to cheat your system without even trying, or intending it. I for one know the tricks, and as such, I would exclude myself from your registration process, as you suggest. Just one more slot for some one else, I guess....

I do hope you remain in charge of the process. You seem too dedicated person to the match to not have running it, I would only hope you can be open to other ideas. Thanks for your reply.

Jason

FB3G will never be a lottery or a legacy match. When I leave I am certain some things will change, but for now those two things are certain. Sorry if you feel this system is not fair, but a lotto is not even close to fair it is pure luck.

BigHamp

Edited to fix spelling

Edited by BigHamp

FB3G will never be a lottery or a legacy match. When I leave I am certain some things will change, but for now those two things are certain. Sorry if you feel this system is not fair, but a lotto is not even close to fair it is pure luck.

BigHamp

When you leave, they will also need to locate a stats person :)

As a volunteer, I get to pick who I will work with.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Edited by LChico

BigHamp

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Hopefully, neither of you will leave. You both seem very dedicated to the match, and we need people like you. I for one would not want to try to fill your shoes.

Jason

BigHamp

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Hopefully, neither of you will leave. You both seem very dedicated to the match, and we need people like you. I for one would not want to try to fill your shoes.

Jason

AMEN!

I vote that SFC Hampton stays at the AMU until he retires and in the meanwhile set up a civilian postition at the AMU that he can take after retirement, everyone is happy.

Are you guys volunteering the Guy who was not in the meeting?

Not that this is a meeting..

But then again,,, if he wants the job...

It would be a good thing. If they made a position for him.

Jim M ammo